Does anyone run their own House Church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 21, 2011
Does anyone operate their own church at home? Like a House Church?

Why did you do this?
How did you get started?
Any tips?
Any disadvantages?

K

kenisyes

My wife and I always started prayer meetings, instead of church. Churches are programmed and people cannot participate actively unless they are on the staff. The gifts don't get used. You meet people who want to do it, and you ask them what they want to do. How much music? Do they want to rotate having a prepared message? At each meeting make sure everyone is encouraged to tell what God did in their lives in the past week. Make sure you keep in touch in-between meetings. Read Heb. 10:25 carefully, and I Cor. 12-14 for a pattern to start with. Make certain everyone is encouraged to say what the Lord is telling them, and to lead prayers. Also, don't do it on Sunday morning if you can help it. Many people still feel a need to go to a regular "church". Don't put God in a box, and don't be surprised if He does some things you thought He never would do. Realize that you do not need ordination to minister, and everyone needs to be encouraged to try.

There are no disadvantages, except being criticized by many "Christians". This is the Bible's statement of what to do. Regular church is a historical accident. But, you should have gatherings several times a year with other groups, and you should have regular group hopping by certain people to keep the Body together.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tdrew777

Interesting, Kenisyes! What do you do about baptism, the Lord's Supper, tithes and support of world mission?

K

kenisyes

This is a personal matter, each decides their own. I would have no problem baptizing. Robert baptizes several times a year, but we have never had anyone for him. (Most churches do not counsel individually, or discern gifts at baptism, and they should, as Robert does.) We have Lord's supper periodically, and it's hillarious how we do not agree on the theology at all, and still do it, and it works for us. Tithes are OT, we put everything at God's disposal. Our town is just as great a mission as Africa. Again, all personal opinions. Each group may do as they choose. Before you ask, if a marriage came up, I would say that the couple's consent rules, and one can get civil papers to keep the legalities straight. Like baptism, safer in a small group where gifts of discernment and prophecy can operate and keep wrong decisions from being made. When my wife died, the prayer group did the memorial service (she had requested a joyful prayer meeting) without blinking an eye, and also evangelized every non-Christian who came.

The biggest thing to overcome, is thinking that there needs to be some kind of "headship" for this thing. Authority in this structure is a little more complicated than "do as you want", but the current system of ordained pastors is only marginally Scriptural and affects our thinking to worry about such matters as you ask about. I will not get into it here, so I won't end up writing a thesis. You can read my theological writings in my website, where I discuss all these issues of leadership in a home church structure.

T

tdrew777

Where is your website? Who is Robert?

B

BishopSEH

Does anyone operate their own church at home? Like a House Church?

Why did you do this?
How did you get started?
Any tips?
Any disadvantages?
Hello David,

There are many House Churches in this world. Some good and holy some less so. As a clergyman overseeing 25 house churches in my state (NC) I am others like me have some "hard and fast" rules.

1. Think big but start small. Usually a house church begins as a bible study that meets outside of the modern church. Often times, but not always, many of the members of the study are disillusioned with the modern church and simply desires to serve God.

2. Have a clear and short mission statement. Ours is "Bring em in, Train em up and Sent em out."

3. Clearly lay out your core values. Our churches use the model of the Jerusalem Church found in the book of Acts.

4. Use the search criteria found in 1 Timothy to ascertain the leadership. Note that if a person does not wish to lead regardless of how well they fulfill the criteria you can not and should not attempt to force then for "the good of the Church"

5. If the Bible doesn't teach it neither should you. Many house churches go astray by teaching beyond the Word of God. They fall into a practice of erroneous theology by trying to make the Bible cover every situation. Note that Paul in his letters sometimes speaks for himself making it known that these are his words of not God's. God provides man with great insight and intuition and a solid foundation in Christ and his Word, use them just don't twist the Word to make it fit but take personal ownership for advice that is not expressly given in the Word.

This is enough to get started. I would recommend the book "The nuts and bolts to planting any kind of Church" by Aubrey Malphurs. The Malphurs Group is one of the most successful church planting and revitalization groups in the world. he provides some solid advice and a practical outline. The work will still be up to the new church and especially the new Churches leadership team.

In our church we do not tithe. The reason is all our clergy work at "regular" jobs as most house churches are very small and can not afford to pay clergy full time. Instead we do an offeratory. The offeratory is general used to provide new bibles, study material, and to fund small outreach in your community. Each person gives as lead by the Lord. I should note that I have personally found that house churches have more regular and more generous giving that most modern churches. If I had to guess why, I would lean towards the ability to use what is given more completely than churches that have to pay a mortgage and staff and other bills associated with the modern church. Again, that's a guess as i have not studied the phenomenon personally.

There are some disadvantages. First is the personally attacks by other believers. Second is that most house churches don't file a 501 c 3 and are not recognized by the government as churches. Third is growth. A church that authentically serves God will grow and with growth comes the need for more space. This will generally move a house church to split (in a good way) or to become a modern church. When a house church splits they divide the leadership and the congregation between two locations. This allows for more growth and to expand the footprint of effect if the churches maintain there bond. Sometimes they don't and that is the disadvantage. When a house church goes modern cost skyrockets and the paradigm shifts away from what made the house church so successful.

The first I listed is a matter of indoctrination. People today in most "civilized" nations are simply used to the modern church and do not understand the house church.

The second is a matter of societal acceptance. I find most people want to be accepted and will often go out of their way to get it. This, I believe, is contrary to the message of the Gospel to be in the world but not of the world.

The third is a bit more convoluted. Many mark success by numbers. This is true even of churches. A large church is seen as more successful than a small church. Let me be clear, numbers are important. The more that show up, the more can be instructed in the ways of the Lord and become spiritually mature and thus more effective in ministering to a lost and fallen world. If you do not find your church growing this doesn't mean it failing. If you follow the Word and guide your congregation through spiritual maturity their efforts may simply be sending new believers to the modern church. While your numbers don't grow the numbers of the Kingdom do and that is more more important than your specific church gaining new believers in the short term. In the long term you will need new blood as people move or die. A church that does not grow, dies. As a leader you must keep your eye on the prize and that prize comes when you stand before Jesus and hear the words, well done good and faithful servant, enter into your master's joy.

So this is just a thumbnail sketch from my specific point of view. Other may have different ideas. Examine them all, check them against scripture and now well the community and specifically the needs of the community you desire to set up in. I pray this helps you whether you ask for simple information purposes or if you are being lead to start or be part of a house church.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
My husband and I attend a home church and really like it. We do many things similar to a regular church service....announcements (things going on locally..esp. if someone needs help with something), song worship, a time of prayer (this is REALLY important), then one of the men give a lesson and we discuss it sometimes during his talk (if he asks for comments) or when he's finished speaking. Then we eat lunch together. I find this a very meaningful experience :). We collect tithes and portion them out to local ministries and missionary support. About 98 percent of tithes goes towards missions....the other 2 percent is for lunch, educational supplies, music license fee, etc.

How to get started? Just find some like-minded people who would like to meet in homes.

Praying for success for you :)

D

dashadow

This is a personal matter, each decides their own. I would have no problem baptizing. Robert baptizes several times a year, but we have never had anyone for him. (Most churches do not counsel individually, or discern gifts at baptism, and they should, as Robert does.) We have Lord's supper periodically, and it's hillarious how we do not agree on the theology at all, and still do it, and it works for us. Tithes are OT, we put everything at God's disposal. Our town is just as great a mission as Africa. Again, all personal opinions. Each group may do as they choose. Before you ask, if a marriage came up, I would say that the couple's consent rules, and one can get civil papers to keep the legalities straight. Like baptism, safer in a small group where gifts of discernment and prophecy can operate and keep wrong decisions from being made. When my wife died, the prayer group did the memorial service (she had requested a joyful prayer meeting) without blinking an eye, and also evangelized every non-Christian who came.

The biggest thing to overcome, is thinking that there needs to be some kind of "headship" for this thing. Authority in this structure is a little more complicated than "do as you want", but the current system of ordained pastors is only marginally Scriptural and affects our thinking to worry about such matters as you ask about. I will not get into it here, so I won't end up writing a thesis. You can read my theological writings in my website, where I discuss all these issues of leadership in a home church structure.
I'll have to get back to your site and delve in deeper. :)