Does God allow us to practice, today, ways He taught the Hebrews?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
I have been fascinated with some of the ways God taught the Hebrews about Him. In the New Testament, God says to put on the whole armor of God, and while God was teaching the Hebrews God had them act this out in a physical way. They were to write down what was the essence of God and attach it to their doorposts, and attach it to themselves. Anytime they saw any of this, they would remember to surround themselves with God.

God had them do lots of things like this so there was nothing they did in how they lived that didn’t relate to their worship of God. If a visitor came they washed the visitor’s feet. When they ate, they didn’t eat anything that had fed on garbage (read dirty books?) or eat with people who worshipped idols. They were to wash often, and remember to be truly clean inside as well. It has always seemed a shame to me that we are forbidden to do any of it. I know that God would just not see any of it done as a way to please Him, rather than as an expression of worship. But we go a LOT further, we say you can’t do it if you love the Lord.

The Jews were forbidden to make a gentile do these things in order to be accepted by the Lord, it doesn’t seem right to me that everyone is forbidden to do any of it if they accept the Lord.

I love to bead. I beaded a bag with gold beads, with the design in blue, purple, and deep green using antique altar cloths for inspiration. Then I printed from Deut. 6 words the Lord told Hebrews to use on a piece of parchment and put it in the bag. There is a beaded chain to match so it is a sort of necklace. I must be a real rebel, I wear this to my protestant church and get many compliments on it--but I haven't told them what it is! Wearing this makes this verse seem very real to me. Eph 6:14 Stand, therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist, righteousness like armor on your chest. I am afraid many would forbid me to wear it.