Does God permit us to go the extra mile in our worship & include the feasts?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
I am having questions about the direction our church has taken when they discount any worship done except “in spirit and truth” so anything physical is questioned. Gnostics feel that matter is evil and spiritual is good. Our churches are not Gnostic, but many beliefs border on that. Gnostics say that we are saved through gaining supernatural knowledge; we say we are saved through Christ’s saving blood that gives us forgiveness of sin.

Some say obedience and works are too physical so God changed His mind about asking this of us, we are to follow knowledge only given by the HS, knowledge in our heart, not to listen to written law. It is only the spiritual that counts. That is not what God says. God created the world and it was good. We are to recognize the physical, too. We are to follow the HS with physical doing.

Gnosis was popular in the first days of Christianity, many scriptures speak against it.

We say that we must worship in spirit and truth, that is scriptural truth. What we do must follow the heart to be effective. The church is very against anything that God the Father suggested as ways to worship to lead us to spirit and truth, such as the feasts and our choice of meat. There are many ways God told of, and our church is dead set against all of them. I have been questioning that for some time.

I searched for what contemporaries of Jesus and Paul said as they wrote histories and comments,people like Origen, Clement, or Eusibius’s History. History says that the Jews had a council to decide what to do about the large number of people who wanted to join them in worship of the one true God, then those that wanted to join them in knowing Christ. They had always accepted these people by ceremonially having converts become Hebrews. This council made up a list of requirements that is lost in history, but is often referred to. Some references say it was made up of 18 requirements, some more than 18. Jus timagine being told, if you asked to join the church today, that it requires circumcision and change in your food habits, etc! We think it is bad enough when it is reported in Acts that they pared this list down to those that at least allowed these converts to be allowed in synagogue to learn about God from scripture. Sometimes Paul referred to this list as “circumcision” and sometimes as “the law” as in Galatians. There are people today who take everything Paul reported God as saying about telling people this is not required as God saying He was wrong, He takes all He said about law back, that Christ is God now so forget I am the Father.

As we listen to truths from our God about how to worship, we have thrown out all ways used to unite daily living to worship. There is nothing about food, nothing about washing as part of devotion, nothing required in regard to prayer. As long as we have at least a vague awareness of God through our days, we can live a life barely touched by our God and still live within NT scripture. Some say that because it is not God’s law so not doing it can be called sin, no one should go the extra mile in worship to do any of it.

There are churches in the last 50 years or so that have brought some of the feasts and rituals back into worship practice. I think Satan is against such, for there is a great cry that these people are denying grace,they are teaching that the works of such worship is not to lead to everyday awareness and worship of God but saying the work of the ritual saves them. I have never heard or read of this except in the accusations of those who want to destroy this kind of worship.

There are Jews, even today, who worship the Father and look for the Messiah with a devotion we lack. They do not know all that occurred when the Son lived and was crucified here. Many Christians worship the Father and also know the Son and the HS. But there are Christians who recognize the Son and HS, but deny the Father just as the Jews deny the Son.

I hope I can get someone to prayerfully think about these things! Go into the book of Hebrews, not as a born again Christian without a very thorough background of OT, but as a Jew, raised in the synagogue, new to Christ, and wondering about returning to life without Christ. That is who the book was written to. It puts a whole new perspective on this book, but check what is God telling us there about the rituals. It tells how we can keep the OT and use it as a step in growth in the Christ we know. Go to Galatians and imagine it as speaking, not against all written law, but against those 18 requirements. Search the feasts for an outline of God’s plan for our redemption. Search Romans, asking God about what He is doing about the Jews who are true to worshipping Him, but denying Christ as the man who lived here and was crucified, remembering that Christ was part of the entire OT. Don't stop with scripture telling us we must use Christ to be saved, certain that the OT Christ won't work at all, but keep searching. I have taken these steps, and still wonder.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I have sometimes looked at my wifes picture before we were married, but she'd count me nuts if I was always gazing at it instead of her.

A

Abiding

I am having questions about the direction our church has taken when they discount any worship done except “in spirit and truth” so anything physical is questioned. Gnostics feel that matter is evil and spiritual is good. Our churches are not Gnostic, but many beliefs border on that. Gnostics say that we are saved through gaining supernatural knowledge; we say we are saved through Christ’s saving blood that gives us forgiveness of sin.

Some say obedience and works are too physical so God changed His mind about asking this of us, we are to follow knowledge only given by the HS, knowledge in our heart, not to listen to written law. It is only the spiritual that counts. That is not what God says. God created the world and it was good. We are to recognize the physical, too. We are to follow the HS with physical doing.

Gnosis was popular in the first days of Christianity, many scriptures speak against it.

We say that we must worship in spirit and truth, that is scriptural truth. What we do must follow the heart to be effective. The church is very against anything that God the Father suggested as ways to worship to lead us to spirit and truth, such as the feasts and our choice of meat. There are many ways God told of, and our church is dead set against all of them. I have been questioning that for some time.

I searched for what contemporaries of Jesus and Paul said as they wrote histories and comments,people like Origen, Clement, or Eusibius’s History. History says that the Jews had a council to decide what to do about the large number of people who wanted to join them in worship of the one true God, then those that wanted to join them in knowing Christ. They had always accepted these people by ceremonially having converts become Hebrews. This council made up a list of requirements that is lost in history, but is often referred to. Some references say it was made up of 18 requirements, some more than 18. Jus timagine being told, if you asked to join the church today, that it requires circumcision and change in your food habits, etc! We think it is bad enough when it is reported in Acts that they pared this list down to those that at least allowed these converts to be allowed in synagogue to learn about God from scripture. Sometimes Paul referred to this list as “circumcision” and sometimes as “the law” as in Galatians. There are people today who take everything Paul reported God as saying about telling people this is not required as God saying He was wrong, He takes all He said about law back, that Christ is God now so forget I am the Father.

As we listen to truths from our God about how to worship, we have thrown out all ways used to unite daily living to worship. There is nothing about food, nothing about washing as part of devotion, nothing required in regard to prayer. As long as we have at least a vague awareness of God through our days, we can live a life barely touched by our God and still live within NT scripture. Some say that because it is not God’s law so not doing it can be called sin, no one should go the extra mile in worship to do any of it.

There are churches in the last 50 years or so that have brought some of the feasts and rituals back into worship practice. I think Satan is against such, for there is a great cry that these people are denying grace,they are teaching that the works of such worship is not to lead to everyday awareness and worship of God but saying the work of the ritual saves them. I have never heard or read of this except in the accusations of those who want to destroy this kind of worship.

There are Jews, even today, who worship the Father and look for the Messiah with a devotion we lack. They do not know all that occurred when the Son lived and was crucified here. Many Christians worship the Father and also know the Son and the HS. But there are Christians who recognize the Son and HS, but deny the Father just as the Jews deny the Son.

I hope I can get someone to prayerfully think about these things! Go into the book of Hebrews, not as a born again Christian without a very thorough background of OT, but as a Jew, raised in the synagogue, new to Christ, and wondering about returning to life without Christ. That is who the book was written to. It puts a whole new perspective on this book, but check what is God telling us there about the rituals. It tells how we can keep the OT and use it as a step in growth in the Christ we know. Go to Galatians and imagine it as speaking, not against all written law, but against those 18 requirements. Search the feasts for an outline of God’s plan for our redemption. Search Romans, asking God about what He is doing about the Jews who are true to worshipping Him, but denying Christ as the man who lived here and was crucified, remembering that Christ was part of the entire OT. Don't stop with scripture telling us we must use Christ to be saved, certain that the OT Christ won't work at all, but keep searching. I have taken these steps, and still wonder.
Pfft..prove it!!! show me just "one" Christian who denys the Father....its theologically impossible. When will you quit with this?

Hebrews is about Jesus Christ....wake up!

I cant believe you keep on with this.......memo to Redtent: Christians read the OT...ok? all the time as a matter of fact.

A

Abiding

right...why not comment on my whole reply....and show me even "one" Christian that denys the Father.
I think youl say just anything. To tell the truth....also give names and denominations that dont use
the OT as much as the NT.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
There is NO requirement to keep the feasts in the New Testament. Christ is the only thing that matters - New Testament and Old Testament. The covenant is in his blood!

"for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." Matt 26:28

"This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant." Hebrews 7:22

"But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. [SUP]7 [/SUP]For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.[SUP]8 [/SUP]For he finds fault with them when he says:
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah,
[SUP]9 [/SUP]not like the covenant that I made with their fathers
on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt.
For they did not continue in my covenant,
and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord.
[SUP]10 [/SUP]For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
after those days, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws into their minds,
and write them on their hearts,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor
and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
for they shall all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]For I will be merciful toward their iniquities,
and I will remember their sins no more.”

[SUP]13 [/SUP]In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away." Hebrews 8:6-13

This passage is CLEAR. The Jews failed. The rituals failed. They are NOT part of some "extra mile" that we need to go. The only extra mile is to follow Christ. And that means every day, every hour, every second of the year!

Please RedTent, I do not know why you have become so enamoured of the Jewish traditions, but it is WRONG!! Go to an Orthodox Synagogue. Read the Talmud which is in English, next to the Hebrew text. You will find so many wrong things, it will shock you to death. The Jews are no longer a people. God allowed the Abrahamic and Davidic Covenants to be fulfilled in Christ, then the temple fell only 40 years after Jesus died (one generation!) and they were dispersed.

When you go back to Jewish traditions and ways, you are basically denying the finished work of Jesus on the cross. That is crossing over the bridge and going backwards. You become a Judaizer, and you simply cannot wish away the books of Galatians and Hebrews.

"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— [SUP]7 [/SUP]not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. [SUP]8 [/SUP]But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you,let him be accursed. [SUP]9 [/SUP]As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed." Gal. 1:6-9

Oct 31, 2011
right...why not comment on my whole reply....and show me even "one" Christian that denys the Father.
I think youl say just anything. To tell the truth....also give names and denominations that dont use
the OT as much as the NT.
You have let me know that you do not want to even think about anything that I am studying, you are simply opposed to anything. Your decision that I only accuse everyone of not reading the OT, etc. all of it, is set in your mind and I don't think there is any chance that you could study with me or consider anything I am wondering about. I am truly looking for truth with others who are. When I am considered only someone to fight I don't think that our trying to meet with reason could possibly work. But there might be others on cc who would consider thinking about such as a different approach to Hebrews, or what if we included the feasts or would God want us to, etc. You don't. So why don't you simply state that you are opposed and why and let it go at that?

A

Abiding

You have let me know that you do not want to even think about anything that I am studying, you are simply opposed to anything. Your decision that I only accuse everyone of not reading the OT, etc. all of it, is set in your mind and I don't think there is any chance that you could study with me or consider anything I am wondering about. I am truly looking for truth with others who are. When I am considered only someone to fight I don't think that our trying to meet with reason could possibly work. But there might be others on cc who would consider thinking about such as a different approach to Hebrews, or what if we included the feasts or would God want us to, etc. You don't. So why don't you simply state that you are opposed and why and let it go at that?
Nope thats not at all true....why didnt you answer and prove your allegations? thats all my mind is set on.
Anytime you want to start a thread on any part of the OT id love it...but most of the time your ranting, and
what you mostly say is untrue. Ive celebrated the feasts, with a rabbi manual. The whole shabang...and utilized
both OT and NT and loved it....because they have been fulfilled. Ive studied just on types all through the OT...in fact im sure ive dont more OT studing than NT. So nope id go on to prove my Love for the OT....but really its your issues and accusations that has me bugged.

Ive studied and taught the significance of every implimnt and material of both the tabernacle and temple...and on and on
and no church i have ever been in is like you say...id say get on with it and start a thread and teach...only you are stopping that
and you act and talk like someones stopping you.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2011
Nope thats not at all true....why didnt you answer and prove your allegations? thats all my mind is set on.
Anytime you want to start a thread on any part of the OT id love it...but most of the time your ranting, and
what you mostly say is untrue. Ive celebrated the feasts, with a rabbi manual. The whole shabang...and utilized
both OT and NT and loved it....because they have been fulfilled. Ive studied just on types all through the OT...in fact im sure ive dont more OT studing than NT. So nope id go on to prove my Love for the OT....but really its your issues and accusations that has me bugged.

Ive studied and taught the significance of every implimnt and material of both the tabernacle and temple...and on and on
and no church i have ever been in is like you say...id say get on with it and start a thread and teach...only you are stopping that
and you act and talk like someones stopping you.
It sounds like if you could get over your anger at me (ranting) I could learn from you. The people who are against the OT is my pastor ("you must not get too deep in OT) and many posters who follow ONLY Christ with not listening to God implied, that we must not listen to any law that is written, we must only follow God principles explained in the NT, etc. I must hide any way of worship my family can trace to OT, it is a requirement they have for me to get along with them. My church family also requires this. So when I act like someone is stopping me, they are. Which is beside the point. The point is whether God allows us to worship Him with the feasts. There is much in scripture about how terrible it is to make this the requirement, and it certainly is not the heart of God's message to us. Paul goes into great detail about that. You are experiencing this way of worship, You understand the way it has been fulfilled in Christ. That is what this thread is about.

From the study I have done, it would add a wonderful depth to our worship, and does for the people who do as you are doing. There is a response to this thread scolding at the very idea. Yet I cannot find scripture to back up this idea. You are very angry with me, say my ideas bug you. Truly, I feel like Johnny marching in the parade. His folks remarked that they were all out of step but Johnny. I am looking for God's way to be in step. I am following only God. If you are allowed to experience this way of worship in your life, you are truly lucky.

A

Abiding

It sounds like if you could get over your anger at me (ranting) I could learn from you. The people who are against the OT is my pastor ("you must not get too deep in OT) and many posters who follow ONLY Christ with not listening to God implied, that we must not listen to any law that is written, we must only follow God principles explained in the NT, etc. I must hide any way of worship my family can trace to OT, it is a requirement they have for me to get along with them. My church family also requires this. So when I act like someone is stopping me, they are. Which is beside the point. The point is whether God allows us to worship Him with the feasts. There is much in scripture about how terrible it is to make this the requirement, and it certainly is not the heart of God's message to us. Paul goes into great detail about that. You are experiencing this way of worship, You understand the way it has been fulfilled in Christ. That is what this thread is about.

From the study I have done, it would add a wonderful depth to our worship, and does for the people who do as you are doing. There is a response to this thread scolding at the very idea. Yet I cannot find scripture to back up this idea. You are very angry with me, say my ideas bug you. Truly, I feel like Johnny marching in the parade. His folks remarked that they were all out of step but Johnny. I am looking for God's way to be in step. I am following only God. If you are allowed to experience this way of worship in your life, you are truly lucky.
Now wait a minute...you bugging me with broadbrush statements that dont hold true(cept maybe your personal experience) is in no way equal to angry with you. Because im sure not angry. But i was close to frustriated trying to understand. I do
now understand a bit more.

Saying that Worship= worth ship or valuing God for who He is in your heart. Well id agree studying the OT would do that
seeing the plan He had from before the beginning acted out in History and in everything written commanded etc. yes.
The Law is holy just and good. The mode is important...thats where you may get flack. You know, im sure, we live in the
Spirit by faith and your not trying to stand justified by your performance obeying the law in your flesh. If you know that
which im sure you do...maybe just stay out of those arguements here.

Maybe ive just not understood where your heart is. or what your point is...If its a desire to learn more of the OT
wow i cant imagine anyone not loving the OT. Or not studying it. The NT stands on the OT. 66 books.

Im working more and more hours...but if i find some time later...we can maybe learn togather. Im not a teacher
just a believer. But possibly we can take a chunk and take it apart..hope we start to understand each other more.

Oct 31, 2011
Now wait a minute...you bugging me with broadbrush statements that dont hold true(cept maybe your personal experience) is in no way equal to angry with you. Because im sure not angry. But i was close to frustriated trying to understand. I do
now understand a bit more.

Saying that Worship= worth ship or valuing God for who He is in your heart. Well id agree studying the OT would do that
seeing the plan He had from before the beginning acted out in History and in everything written commanded etc. yes.
The Law is holy just and good. The mode is important...thats where you may get flack. You know, im sure, we live in the
Spirit by faith and your not trying to stand justified by your performance obeying the law in your flesh. If you know that
which im sure you do...maybe just stay out of those arguements here.

Maybe ive just not understood where your heart is. or what your point is...If its a desire to learn more of the OT
wow i cant imagine anyone not loving the OT. Or not studying it. The NT stands on the OT. 66 books.

Im working more and more hours...but if i find some time later...we can maybe learn togather. Im not a teacher
just a believer. But possibly we can take a chunk and take it apart..hope we start to understand each other more.
I am deeply moved!!