Does God punish us in this life?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Yes, just as we punish our children, read Hebrews 12.

A

Abiding

If you leave then she will have custody...in most courts around here you would then lose
and pay child support. She may have the tenacy, but your married with a child. Seems rather
odd that she can just kick you out. Around here that wouldnt stand unless a law was broken
that makes you a danger. Like someone else said get legal council before you do anything.

L

lesley0206

Dear Phil-uk

I am sorry to read of your marriage problems and how you think that you are being punished by God. All I will say is that God does NOT punish his children. He disciplines us just like you would discipline your child. We don’t punish our children.

Rev 3:19 “I correct and discipline everyone I love”.

I know that you are suffering, I’ve been there myself and at the time I didn’t have God’s spirit with me. However, since then I have learnt that through suffering we learn that God is enough for our lives and our future. We must love God regardless, whether he allows blessing or suffering to come to us. Testing is difficult, but the result is often a deeper relationship with God and those who endure the testing of their faith will experience Gods great rewards in the end.

Just remember that those who love God are NOT exempt from trouble. Although we may not be able to understand fully the pain we experience, it can lead to knowing God more and more.

I agree with Maxwel when he says that by receiving Jesus we become different people on the inside. I’m sure you feel and act different too. Your wife, being an unbeliever, might be seeing a change in you but not knowing what the change is. Therefore, this would make her defensive which is why she came out with those insults and comments to you.

You just have to have faith and trust in the Lord. He is always with us, through thick and thin. Put your trust in the Lord. If you begin to feel worthless or even begin to hate yourself remember that God’s Spirit is ready and willing to work within you. Just ask and God’s spirit will be there!

Nahum 1:7 “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in him.”

1 Peter 5:7 “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you” – Recognise that God does care and let others in God’s family help you."

Isaiah 59:11 “The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring.”

I will pray for God to be with you in this troubled time of your life and ask that he comfort you and that he will bring others into your life who will encourage you and be there for you. I will also pray for your wife and pray that she will see the glory of the Lord and receive Jesus. I pray that your wife will see how much better it is to live in the light rather than in the darkness.

God Bless - Lesley

P

phil-uk

Dear Phil-uk

I am sorry to read of your marriage problems and how you think that you are being punished by God. All I will say is that God does NOT punish his children. He disciplines us just like you would discipline your child. We don’t punish our children.

Rev 3:19 “I correct and discipline everyone I love”.

I know that you are suffering, I’ve been there myself and at the time I didn’t have God’s spirit with me. However, since then I have learnt that through suffering we learn that God is enough for our lives and our future. We must love God regardless, whether he allows blessing or suffering to come to us. Testing is difficult, but the result is often a deeper relationship with God and those who endure the testing of their faith will experience Gods great rewards in the end.

Just remember that those who love God are NOT exempt from trouble. Although we may not be able to understand fully the pain we experience, it can lead to knowing God more and more.

I agree with Maxwel when he says that by receiving Jesus we become different people on the inside. I’m sure you feel and act different too. Your wife, being an unbeliever, might be seeing a change in you but not knowing what the change is. Therefore, this would make her defensive which is why she came out with those insults and comments to you.

You just have to have faith and trust in the Lord. He is always with us, through thick and thin. Put your trust in the Lord. If you begin to feel worthless or even begin to hate yourself remember that God’s Spirit is ready and willing to work within you. Just ask and God’s spirit will be there!

Nahum 1:7 “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in him.”

1 Peter 5:7 “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you” – Recognise that God does care and let others in God’s family help you."

Isaiah 59:11 “The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring.”

I will pray for God to be with you in this troubled time of your life and ask that he comfort you and that he will bring others into your life who will encourage you and be there for you. I will also pray for your wife and pray that she will see the glory of the Lord and receive Jesus. I pray that your wife will see how much better it is to live in the light rather than in the darkness.

God Bless - Lesley
Thank you so much Lesley thats a great post, and has made me feel so happy. I must admit in this last week I've become closer to God than I've ever been before. God has answered many of my prayers lately. Because I'm a new christian I wonder if this is God's way of testing my faith? If it is my faith is getting stronger by the day so no problems there. You are right my wife has probably noticed a change in me. I hope one day she can also have the pleasure of having God in her life too. When I met my wife I was a very strong willed atheist so anythings possible :)

God bless. Phil

D

danschance

Phil, buy that book, "The love dare" it has some good ideas on who to win a woman back, if that is what you want to do. She is a non-believer and if she wants to go you are free to remarry. Even so, I hope you fight for your marriage, win her back and even help her find Jesus. It is a worthy endeavor.

Right now your wife is angry and resentful. Her "love bank account" is over drawn. You have to make some deposits just to get it back in the black. Fight for you family.

Buy that book and go for it!

If money is tight you can even buy it online and read it on your computer for less than what you would pay for a cup of coffee. Tell her you miss her every time you see her or text her. Women need love like fish need water.

Mar 4, 2013
God Leads Us Along

Hope this blesses those who are in trials that break hearts, and make us ask questions about the love of God.

L

lesley0206

I, like you, are new to being a "Christian". I always used to say I was a christian but now I know I was only going through the motions of being one (christened as a baby and then my confirmation in 1994/5 I think). I joined my new church in February 2013 and was baptized, full immersion, in May 2013. My husband even came to see me being baptized, which was good. Through my new church I have learnt a lot more than I thought I could ever learn. My head is always in the bible and I am always on line looking for explanations to certain verses etc. I have also found that "Gods" people care and love each other without limits or boundaries. God is AWESOME and it would be great if your wife could see the glory of our Lord. Prayers will be said every night for you and your wife (also your son). I find it hard to see how others cannot see him. He stands so bright to me how could they miss him. Ah well, we are the lucky ones. Im glad that my reply to you has comforted you. GOD BLESS!!

Sep 6, 2013
My heart goes out to you my dear friend. I know this is a troublesome time.
but remember the scripture says God won't allow you to be tempted more than you can bare.
He loves you. Jeremiah 29:11 says: For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil to give you a future and a hope.
This is a great time to learn to commune with the Lord. The book of Job sounds like a good place to start from what I'm hearing from you.
I'd like to leave you with this verse.
Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

I'm praying for you:eek:

L

LT

Book of Job helped me through a similar trial. Bad things can happen to good people. God is in control and limits the amount of suffering that evil can cause us, but He will not stop all suffering from happening to us... well, not until we see our Lord face to face in heaven.
The Lord puts us through trials to strengthen us. also note, if you are a new Christian, Satan will have a target on your back! Stay reading the Word, and keep in fellowship with other Christians. "All things work for the good of those who love the Lord"!

A

Ariel82

will keep you and your family in my prayers. :) I rejoice at having so many wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ who have spoken such reassurance and given wonderful scriptures. I don't really have any words to add. just my heartfelt prayers that God lead you through this troubled time and open your wife's eyes to the lies and deception the world has her enslaved to. that she realizes the importance of marriage and the love you have for her and your son. God bless and keep you strong in His faith and may His love engulf and enfold you.