Does the Son judge or the Father judge?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Z

zackabba

John 5:22 - "...the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgement to the Son..."

Yet other places seem to say that the Father does judge, at least with the Son...what does this mean?

Who judges?

A

AnandaHya

God does the judging and God is The Father, The Word (son) and the Spirit, In Heaven three are One.

on earth the blood, water and spirit agree as One.

D

DiscipleWilliam

The Father has committed all judgement unto the Son as you already stated. The Son is specifically the one who executes judgement now which role He assumed by His obedience. Jesus is the judge as mediator between God and man[1 Tim. 2:5].

J

J-Kay

John 5:22 - Portion from Matthew Henry explanation:
Christ’s commission or delegation to the office of a judge, which is twice spoken of here (v. 22): He hath committed all judgment to the Son; and again (v. 27): he hath given him authority. First, The Father judges no man; not that the Father hath resigned the government, but he is pleased to govern by Jesus Christ; so that man is not under the terror of dealing with God immediately, but has the comfort of access to him by a Mediator. Having made us, he may do what he pleases with us, as the potter with the clay; yet he does not take advantage of this, but draws us with the cords of a man. 2. He does not determine our everlasting condition by the covenant of innocency, nor take the advantage he has against us for the violation of that covenant. The Mediator having undertaken to make a vicarious satisfaction, the matter is referred to him, and God is willing to enter upon a new treaty; not under the law of the Creator, but the grace of the Redeemer.Secondly, He has committed all judgment to the Son, has constituted him Lord of all

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
(Just for fun) Maybe the Father is the appellate judge with the law/satan accuses as prosecutor....You appeal to Jesus who is the final judge with the Holy Spirit/blood as the believers Advocate. (Please, please don't take this serious, it was just a fun visual)

Jun 7, 2013
In a world so radically different to what it was 2000 years ago... Do you think man of today will be judged by the same criteria as he was back then?

Would it have been easier for a man back then to lead a more moral life than the man of today?

We have evolved greatly since then (not in a Darwinian way lol) so I'd like to think that The judgement would be reflective of modern times

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
In a world so radically different to what it was 2000 years ago... Do you think man of today will be judged by the same criteria as he was back then?

Would it have been easier for a man back then to lead a more moral life than the man of today?

We have evolved greatly since then (not in a Darwinian way lol) so I'd like to think that The judgement would be reflective of modern times
Man does not set the standard of judgment, God does, and He will judge the world based on His word which does not change over time. "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed" (Malachi 3:6).

O

OwenHeidenreich

I don't think Jesus would change how he judges because we are in a different era. I dont believe God changes.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

Nothing new under the sun including man's sinful heart. Man was judged 2000 years ago on a bloody tree outside Jerusalem. He cried ''Father forgive them for they know not what they do''. That forgiveness is offered in the Gospel and man's condemnation is just for refusing such love.

S

Shiloah

I'm sure Christ judges perfectly. But He also takes into account everything that's involved with every individual I'm also sure, which obviously would make sense because He judges perfectly. God put all judgement in Christ's hands, didn't He? Also, Christ said "if you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," so surely they judge alike?

N

notconformed2theworld

God judges thru the Son. Being they are one in unity they both carry out judgment and forgiveness