Does Your Life Match Up?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JDecree

Does Your Life Match Up?

Like...at all? I think it is safe to say mine doesn't.

The more I hear and learn the less likely salvation seems to be. I once had a saying that said "Jesus lived the life I can't on my behalf." Which has a certain level of truth to it in my opinion but there is more to it than that. Another saying I used to use was "I'm not who I need to be, but praise God, I'm not who I was." That sentiment used to be 'good enough.' I am a "work in progress"---being sanctified(I hope). There are changes in me, big ones. I am different. But it isn't enough.

After a lot of searching and reading I just see more and more the dire warnings all over that go something like this: "IF you do ____ then you will be cast into hell" and belief(trust) in Christ seems to have little or no effect on the outcome. I suppose the idea is that if you are truly Christ's you wont do those things for long(or ever? :-/ ).

I go through 1 John and I can see SOME of those things in my life but I know as believers we are supposed to see all of those things being wrought in us. Do I love Christ? I can never bring myself to confidently say so because I don't want to start to believe it if it isn't true, to avoid further deceiving myself. Is it possible that when I think of Him I sometimes well up with tears of longing and sometimes joy that I secretly(unbeknownst to myself) really truly love Him? If I do, why is my life so far from the examples set in the bible?

There are those that blow the trumpet all over the internet and chant "FEW WILL BE SAVED! FEW! FEW! " Like it is their mission to strike unquenchable terror in the hearts of any and everyone. And maybe it is. Well, it is working.

I desire to do good. To be different. Better. More faithful. More loving. Less sinful. Yet when the words "obey" or "repent" are spoken it is like a punch in the gut. I compare it to someone strapping me in a chair with a gun to my head and telling me if I don't get free and stand up, that trigger is going to pull. Do not misunderstand this as me saying God is not fair or just or anything of the sort, I am simply feeling incapable to do what He asks of me and the only end result will be hellfire. What can I do? How can I escape?

Do I need the Holy Spirit baptism? Do I need to be baptised(I know I do, but is that THE reason I am this way?)? Do I need to sell all I have and move to Liberia and die in the jungle? Do I need to settle into a dead church somewhere? Do I need to just relax and trust that the LORD can and will save me one day? Do I need to believe I am saved in order to be saved? No man can really tell me unfortunately...it is all guess work at this point.

Forgive my random word vomit...I just don't know what to do. I understand I may get a number of opposing responses here, some harsh and convicting, some which lean towards their denominational beliefs, some which are totally out of left field and deceiving, but I do hope one of them will be the real truth and I am able to see it.

Does your life match up? If so, HOW? If not, HOW are you able to function in life?

Sep 4, 2012
Does Your Life Match Up?

Like...at all? I think it is safe to say mine doesn't.

The more I hear and learn the less likely salvation seems to be. I once had a saying that said "Jesus lived the life I can't on my behalf." Which has a certain level of truth to it in my opinion but there is more to it than that. Another saying I used to use was "I'm not who I need to be, but praise God, I'm not who I was." That sentiment used to be 'good enough.' I am a "work in progress"---being sanctified(I hope). There are changes in me, big ones. I am different. But it isn't enough.

After a lot of searching and reading I just see more and more the dire warnings all over that go something like this: "IF you do ____ then you will be cast into hell" and belief(trust) in Christ seems to have little or no effect on the outcome. I suppose the idea is that if you are truly Christ's you wont do those things for long(or ever? :-/ ).

I go through 1 John and I can see SOME of those things in my life but I know as believers we are supposed to see all of those things being wrought in us. Do I love Christ? I can never bring myself to confidently say so because I don't want to start to believe it if it isn't true, to avoid further deceiving myself. Is it possible that when I think of Him I sometimes well up with tears of longing and sometimes joy that I secretly(unbeknownst to myself) really truly love Him? If I do, why is my life so far from the examples set in the bible?

There are those that blow the trumpet all over the internet and chant "FEW WILL BE SAVED! FEW! FEW! " Like it is their mission to strike unquenchable terror in the hearts of any and everyone. And maybe it is. Well, it is working.

I desire to do good. To be different. Better. More faithful. More loving. Less sinful. Yet when the words "obey" or "repent" are spoken it is like a punch in the gut. I compare it to someone strapping me in a chair with a gun to my head and telling me if I don't get free and stand up, that trigger is going to pull. Do not misunderstand this as me saying God is not fair or just or anything of the sort, I am simply feeling incapable to do what He asks of me and the only end result will be hellfire. What can I do? How can I escape?

Do I need the Holy Spirit baptism? Do I need to be baptised(I know I do, but is that THE reason I am this way?)? Do I need to sell all I have and move to Liberia and die in the jungle? Do I need to settle into a dead church somewhere? Do I need to just relax and trust that the LORD can and will save me one day? Do I need to believe I am saved in order to be saved? No man can really tell me unfortunately...it is all guess work at this point.

Forgive my random word vomit...I just don't know what to do. I understand I may get a number of opposing responses here, some harsh and convicting, some which lean towards their denominational beliefs, some which are totally out of left field and deceiving, but I do hope one of them will be the real truth and I am able to see it.

Does your life match up? If so, HOW? If not, HOW are you able to function in life?

Per the bolded words above, you simply need to believe:

There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1​

All condemnation is of the devil.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Well, fortunately, God is well able to push me the direction I need to go, and has been for 33 years. The plans and schemes I had for my own life pretty much went up in smoke. But I found something so much better. I am able to rely on God, trust in his purpose for my life, in spite of pain and suffering.

Now if you want to know if I am perfect, I will have to say, no! But I am changed in amazing ways from the days when I was saved as a young, wild woman!

Really, rather than worrying about some unscriptural second baptism, or the kind of church - spend time with God in his Word letting him transform you! That is the promise of the Bible.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" Romans 12:2

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord,are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 2 Cor. 3:18

Now of course, you really do need to figure out if you are saved or not. And it sounds to me like you are really searching for some answers and that is a good thing. God answers those who call his name.

"I love the Lord, because he has heard
my voice and my pleas for mercy.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live." Psalm 116:1-2

My hope is not in my own works, but in the finished work of Christ on the cross. That really is the only hope for any of us.