"Doubting Thomas"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is the name correct? "Doubting Thomas"

• He was the only doubter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everyone doubted without seeing.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

Fighting4Him

My Pastor just preached a sermon about Thomas. John 20:19-20; 24-31

Was Jesus rebuking Thomas? Or was it okay that Thomas didn't believe right away, but it was blessed for those who believe without seeing? My pastor said that the other disciples didn't believe Mary when she told them about Jesus. They didn't believe until they saw the empty tomb or until Jesus appeared to them. So wouldn't that mean Thomas was just like the rest?

Let me know what ya'll think.

P

peterT

Was Jesus rebuking Thomas? Or was it okay that Thomas didn't believe right away, but it was blessed for those who believe without seeing? My pastor said that the other disciples didn't believe Mary when she told them about Jesus. They didn't believe until they saw the empty tomb or until Jesus appeared to them. So wouldn't that mean Thomas was just like the rest?

No I don’t think it was OK

Jesus looks for faith and makes him happy when he sees it

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Jesus suffers in himself when there is no faith.

Mark 9;18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.
19 He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

Peter began to sink when Jesus bid him to come out on the water .

Matthew14:29And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

The opposite of faith is fear, doubts and unbelief and end up sinking, and I don’t think Jesus would be OK with that NO.

E

EBenjamin

i think this is a multi level sort of question. on the one hand you would of course assume that a man who just spent the past few years traveling with Jesus to be less suspicious and surprised when someone says Jesus has rissen, however we know from scripture that Jesus only told them about that very near to the event itself. on the other hand we have the scriptural teaching that we should test the spirit to find out if things are true and in that respect i think his suspicion is valid and i think that when Jesus spoke to him it wasn't a rebuke. first off Jesus had no trouble giving the 12 harsh rebukes in the past they were unmistakable as rebukes, i think this was more along the lines of a loving sort of situation. Jesus was probably remembering all the times he had to ask the apostles how much they'd need to see before they believed. many times Jesus addressed them on that topic sometimes more angered than others but in this particular instance the doubt of Thomas and the rest could be totally dispelled because what they saw this time was far grater that i think could be argued.
Jesus tells Thomas he is blessed in this passage but then makes the point that there will be people who believe just as much as he but without benefit of having been their as Thomas was. so to sum up i tink you are correct in the opinion that each of the apostles ad doubt each in their own way and they had it as a continuing issue throughout their time with Jesus, I think that PeterT is correct in his statement that "Jesus suffers in himself when there is no faith" and surely Jesus himself made the point time and time again that faith was a very important issue, But i think all in all Jesus knew as he stood in front of his apostles after having risen from the dead that their wavering faith would be solidified by that and that even though he could have rebuke thomas he was more happy that he could put to rest once and for all Thomas's doubt.

1still_waters

Yes the others doubted too.
None of them were going to the tomb to pick up his empty linen cloths.
They expected to see a dead body.

Jesus didn't seem to be rebuking Thomas.
On the other hand, everyone around him was saying Jesus was risen.
I suppose after spending three years with these folks, Jesus may have hoped Thomas would have some trust in their word.

[SUP]24 [/SUP]Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. [SUP]25 [/SUP]The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
[SUP]26 [/SUP]And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” [SUP]27 [/SUP]Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
[SUP]28 [/SUP]And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
[SUP]29 [/SUP]Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[SUP][d][/SUP] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

GodssSon

Apr 29, 2012
It's better to just have faith and believe, but some of the greatest people in God's word dealt with doubt. John the baptist was one of them who doubted that Jesus was who he was while he was in prison, but Jesus said "Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist". God would rather us just have faith and believe without seeing, walking by faith and not sight, but God knows our weaknesses and meets people at their faith level.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hearing and seeing are different. The disciples heard and saw then believed, additionally Thomas had to see and feel. We walk by faith not by sight and faith comes by hearing God's Word. Jesus pronounced a future blessing on those who never saw and yet took God's Word at face value as did Mary at the announcement of the angel Gabriel.

F

Fighting4Him

No I don’t think it was OK

Jesus looks for faith and makes him happy when he sees it

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Jesus suffers in himself when there is no faith.

Mark 9;18 And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.
19 He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

Peter began to sink when Jesus bid him to come out on the water .

Matthew14:29And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

The opposite of faith is fear, doubts and unbelief and end up sinking, and I don’t think Jesus would be OK with that NO.
Why would He show Himself to people if they should have believed without seeing? Would you believe Jesus was alive if no one after the resurrection had seen Him? If He wasn't ever seen, you could assume the argument to be true that the disciples had taken and hidden Him.

G

GreenNnice

Keep fighting for Him, keep asking good questions, milady, keep on keeping on . The fight we fight is a fight of faith, of believing in His leading of our lives, without doubt going forth, for His sake. He died for our sake. Now, it's our turn.
Blessed are those who can see Him without signs and wonders and His needing to hit you over the head with a pan; I say this humbly, for in 1995 God hit me over the head with a 'pan' to get me to understand who was in control and the direction I was going in was bound to 'crash.' The Lord leads, the Lord leads, the Lord leads.

Worry not about others, worry not about signs, tongues, prophesying, just let His Spirit in you lead, reveal all truth for you, great is the mystery of godliniess, we cannot know God's thoughts, but we do 'have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2).' Yes, for that is enough, His grace is sufficient for you, so is His mercy, so is His Love :) Follow Him, follow His path for you, it's special, it's going to get you through, in such a way, that you will see, no doubt, His hand upon your life, moving you :)
"...you follow Me." John 21:22

F

Fighting4Him

Keep fighting for Him, keep asking good questions, milady, keep on keeping on . The fight we fight is a fight of faith, of believing in His leading of our lives, without doubt going forth, for His sake. He died for our sake. Now, it's our turn.
Blessed are those who can see Him without signs and wonders and His needing to hit you over the head with a pan; I say this humbly, for in 1995 God hit me over the head with a 'pan' to get me to understand who was in control and the direction I was going in was bound to 'crash.' The Lord leads, the Lord leads, the Lord leads.

Worry not about others, worry not about signs, tongues, prophesying, just let His Spirit in you lead, reveal all truth for you, great is the mystery of godliniess, we cannot know God's thoughts, but we do 'have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2).' Yes, for that is enough, His grace is sufficient for you, so is His mercy, so is His Love :) Follow Him, follow His path for you, it's special, it's going to get you through, in such a way, that you will see, no doubt, His hand upon your life, moving you :)
"...you follow Me." John 21:22
God works in mysterious ways. That is what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you. God bless you.

G

GreenNnice

"Great is the mystery of godliness," that alone should help us through faith, by His grace, remove all doubt of His Love for us in life now, before we accepted Him even, He was there. I love the song we sing in church, 'He was there all the time.' It has brought many up to the altar in the past, to choose Him, hearing Him, first, having chosen them, knowing this truth: "That none should perish."

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

This is a great mystery here, that we can know by following Him, we will see Him work in mysterious ways by this kind of faith shown above in Him. We will gain Christ (Phil. 3:8)

There is a great, wonderful blessing in this kind of faith:
7But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in [SUP]a[/SUP] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

There is mystery in this kind of godliness, too:

Patient, young child, milady, find your patience in Him :)

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain. ... Yet true godliness
with contentment is itself great wealth.,\

And:

Phil 4:12 and 13 - what did Paul say was how he knew to be content? It's no mystery, really :

"I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Christ's (Holy Spirit) strength in us, that is the secret :)

More godliness mystery:

"Without question, this is the great mystery of our faith: Christ was revealed in a human body and vindicated by the Spirit. He was seen by angels and announced to the nations. He was believed in throughout the world and taken to heaven in glory."

God bless you for coming on here, keep on keeping on, fighting for Him, milady, don't ever stop doing that, you will be faced with times of doubt, but that's where His faith given you is strong enough, His grace is sufficient to help you through whatever is your 'thorn in your side.' "Greater is He who is in you than he (Satan) who is in the world.'

Our God reigns. Our God reigns. Our God reigns. Our God reigns, with His 'great' godliness :) Sounds like a song, doesn't it. Ah, yes, how lovely are the mountains at the feet of Him. Our God reigns....... He brought good news, Good News. Praise Him. Praise Him. Praise Him, never stop praying to Him, never stop giving Him thanks, all three, Praise, prayer, thanks be to God, and, glory, all glory to Him :) (1 Thessalonians 5)

gert

Banned
Apr 3, 2013

atm i am not sure there isnt a single main character in the bible who didnt get proof of god directly or indirectly in order to believe
and why people believe when so many of there so called hero's didnt without proof is very strange for me
it should never be wrong to question or ask questions
i encourage asking questions
it will always show you the truth and will show you the lies as well

only a false god will fear questions