Dying to self

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

Hi all,
Just wondering what Jesus meant when he said "take up your cross and follow me" and to "die to self".
If ppl could refrain from personal opinion and use the bible as a reference that would be great.
Thanks.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
I believe it means to never put yourself before Christ or others. This is what Christ did when he went to the cross. It doesn't necessarily mean we are die for others sins as Christ did, that was Jesus' cross. Our service, our cross, may be a bit different, but it is to be done in the same manner, that's is the following part. The greatest commandment:
Mark 12,
[SUP]29 [/SUP]Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. [SUP]30 [/SUP]And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.[SUP]31 [/SUP]And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Sorry, I couldn't refrain from person opinion.

Last edited:

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Matthew 4:19,
[SUP]19 [/SUP]Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

T

transient

Hi all,
Just wondering what Jesus meant when he said "take up your cross and follow me" and to "die to self".
If ppl could refrain from personal opinion and use the bible as a reference that would be great.
Thanks.
it's always your own opinion, even if you use the bible as a reference.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Hi all,
Thanks.
Jesus was foretelling His death but Peter did not want Him to suffer and die (but His crucifixion was God the Father's will) then Jesus rebuked him. This shows us that Jesus was willing to submit to the Father's will instead of His or anyone else (John 4:34, John 6:38). Similarly, Jesus' statement "take up your cross and follow me" implies our sanctification. In regeneration, God changes our hearts and will, which is inward circumcision, making us new creation thus thereon we are to live our lives committed to Christ in spite of temptations and trials of faith [sanctification]. However, this does not mean that we unable to stumble for the flesh is still at war with the Spirit, nonetheless God's grace is greater.

I refer you to these passages...
John 17:15-19
15. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
16. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

Rom 5:3-5
3. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4. And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5. And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Phil 3:13-14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus".

Phil 2:12-13 "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure".

K

Kerry

Dying to self, well that is a life long struggle. It is denying your wants and needs not for others but for the will of God. In other words your will is overtaken by His as you allow Him to. Your will becomes His will.

C

Cino

Romans 6:6 says we are crucified with him. We are to bury the old man daily. Not live to the lust of our flesh, lust of our eyes or pride of life, but crucify ourselves every day and die to our own will and our own selves daily. This is taking up our cross, to deny ourselves, die to our flesh, take up the cross of whatever He gives us to bear, and follow the Lord.

N

natergater

Hm... well, I was taught that "dying to self" meant that you fallow Christ with all that is in you. Look How Christ served, and EVERYTHING He did, he did in the eyes of God. That is how we as the followers need to be living as well. It no longer is about us when we surrender to Christ. We SHOULD become ALL about HIM! What we think, what we say, what we do. The word says to do it "UNTO ME, Jesus Christ".

Sep 4, 2012
The phrase 'dying to self' is not in the bible, nor is it a Christian concept. Dying to the flesh, i.e., the old man, is Christian.

Dying to self is a willful work of the flesh that reigns in Christian cults and false religions.

The flesh is not self; The flesh is our iniquitous Adamic nature. It has died in GOD's eyes, and we must ensure that it finds no expression in our lives by yielding to the holy spirit's work of crucifying him.

Jul 26, 2013
It means to think as a dead man! Neither knowing good and evil.

2 Corinthians 5:14-16

[SUP]14 [/SUP]For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
[SUP]15 [/SUP]And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
[SUP]16 [/SUP]Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

C

Cino

We are all in the flesh, and every day we wake up and are still susceptible to temptations and our own will and thoughts. Every person has this happen to them, even Christians. We must die daily, take up the cross of Jesus Christ and live His life in ours.

E

Exoaria

We were crucified in the flesh with Christ. Our flesh has been condemned and just as Christ died and rose again, so have we now as we walk in the Spirit, no longer gratifying the sinful desires but instead allowing a process of transformation to occur as the Holy Spirit begins to work in us. God said He will write His laws into our hearts and into our minds.

This does not mean you stop sinning completely. You will never stop sinning entirely so long as you live on this earth. Even Paul said that he wishes to do good, but cannot. However, when he sins, because his flesh was crucified it is no longer him that commits the sin, but the sin living inside of him.
It is the same with us. The difference is that when we walked in the flesh, we lived to satisfy the desires of the flesh, and these were envy, malice, sexual immorality, slander, drunkenness - but now that we walk according to the Spirit, although we are still in a sinful vessel we no longer gratify these temptations and although we still fall and falter, we have an advocate who is Jesus Christ such that sin is taken out of the equation so that there is only relationship with the Father left.

As you draw nearer to God, the less dominion sin will have over you. When you walk according to the Spirit, you begin to bear fruits of the Spirit, which is peace, love, joy, thanksgiving and a will to do good. You can never be perfect, and you cannot even strive to be perfect as the law has no power to make you righteous, but the closer you draw to God and understand that He loves you no matter whether you sin or not, sin loses its power as you start to walk according to the Spirit with the fresh revelation of Jesus Christ. It is not freedom to sin, but freedom from sin.

M

Mooky

Brilliant responses , guys !Thanks for your input!!!

M

marrion

1 john 2:16 states,For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.1 john 2:15 also states,Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.The Holy Spirit is our power over the world (worldliness), the flesh (self) and the Devil. He enables us to live daily for God - making the Word flesh in us. It is the “law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus which hath made me free from the law of sin and death”. (Romans 8:2). The Baptism of the Holy Ghost continues the work of Sanctification, separating us daily, from the world and the things of the world. The Holy Spirit (in us) creates in us a “hunger and thirst for the righteousness of God”.
so in conclusion when Jesus says to take up our cross i believe this to be our flesh.we pick up our flesh everyday and have to deal with its sinful desires everyday and also to deny oneself refers to us denying the opportunities we have to fulfill the desires of the flesh.The great news is that once we receive the baptism of the holy ghost the process of self denial and baring our cross is powered through the holy spirit.we could never do this by our own human willpower.praise God.

J

josh123

1 john 2:16 states,For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.1 john 2:15 also states,Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.The Holy Spirit is our power over the world (worldliness), the flesh (self) and the Devil. He enables us to live daily for God - making the Word flesh in us. It is the “law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus which hath made me free from the law of sin and death”. (Romans 8:2). The Baptism of the Holy Ghost continues the work of Sanctification, separating us daily, from the world and the things of the world. The Holy Spirit (in us) creates in us a “hunger and thirst for the righteousness of God”.
so in conclusion when Jesus says to take up our cross i believe this to be our flesh.we pick up our flesh everyday and have to deal with its sinful desires everyday and also to deny oneself refers to us denying the opportunities we have to fulfill the desires of the flesh.The great news is that once we receive the baptism of the holy ghost the process of self denial and baring our cross is powered through the holy spirit.we could never do this by our own human willpower.praise God.
amen, become servants of righteousness when we receive the holy spirit and the holy spirit is the power tjhat miraculous changes our life to do the will of god, and i remember that hunger i had when i first receive the baptism was incredible.. idk where it came from but just had this hunger in my heart to rush home and read the bible and learn about god, it's very nice having that joy inside of you

M

marrion

it sure is brother Josh.i remember the love it gave me for EVERYONE ,even those i previously could not stand to be around and you just wanted to share the gospel with everyone and anyone.it kind of dies down after a while though then it will reappear out of nowhere.wish i could be on that high the whole time.

May 15, 2013
Hi all,
Thanks.
John 12:24Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

Mark 15:17They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him.

A lovely Jewish custom called the "Krenzl" -- which means 'crowning' - honors the mother and father when the last child (or only child) in the family is wed. The parents are seated in the center of the room and are crowned with a wreath of flowers and leaves, followed by the immediate family dancing around them to a very lively Yiddish song entitled 'De Mezinke Oysgegebn'. This is song and dance of celebration reserved for both parents who have just seen their last son or daughter married. The guests encircle the mother and father, while bestowing them with wedding flowers and kisses.
CROWNINGCEREMONYPAGE

Matthew 19:28
Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

John 3:14
Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,

Romans 6:4
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Proverbs 17:15 Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent—
the Lord detests them both.

Romans 12:16
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

2 Corinthians 6:15
What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

The universe in which we are in isn't in harmony with the spiritual universe. We are maturing to death, but the other direction is leading to life. I guess that is why God want us to change our direction (Repent) and go the other way that will make us love our enemies and preventing us from going with the flow of things that taking us down the drain.

Romans 6:22
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

Romans 6:16
Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

Matthew 6:10
your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

J

josh123

it sure is brother Josh.i remember the love it gave me for EVERYONE ,even those i previously could not stand to be around and you just wanted to share the gospel with everyone and anyone.it kind of dies down after a while though then it will reappear out of nowhere.wish i could be on that high the whole time.
YES THE FIRST 3 DAYS WAS FULLY IN THE PRESENCE WAS INCREDIBLE I TRY SO HARD TO BE LIKE THAT AGAIN...the first 3 days my faith was way pass the sky it was incredible but after the 3rd day i felt normal.. i thought something was wrong with me i was just telling my brother today i wish i could never fall...but yes i strive to get to the beginning how i was but never can get back there...