easy Carne Guisada

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
In Texas, there is a Mexican food chain called Chuy's.... we discovered that they served a GREAT carne guisada, which is a sort of Mexican stew with mostly meat and potatoes... it can be eaten from a bowl, or spooned into warm soft flour tortillas to make great soft tacos. Then, of course, they quit serving it... being highly offended, I decided I'd learn how to make it myself. I tried a couple of different recipes I found online, and the easiest (and possibly the best) of the two was this one for making slow-cooker carne guisada.
This is good stuff, folks..... and, you can add/subtract seasonings to your heart's content... even add diced carrots, or other veggies if you so desire. I added some comments to the recipe I stole... um, FOUND on the interweb....
Enjoy.....

Slow Cooker Carne Guisada
Ingredients:
3 lb beef stew meat (I use chuck roast, and cut it into roughly ½” squares)
2 can(s) diced tomatoes with green chilies, (rotel) medium or hot
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 sm to med onion, chopped
2 lg potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ to 3/4 inch pieces
3 Tbsp all purpose flour (suggested starting point, use enough to thicken the sauce)
1/2 tsp mexican oregano ( I just used regular oregano...don't know what "Mexican" oregano is)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder (more, or less, depending on your taste, I used about a tablespoon)
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
Directions:
Place stew meat, 1/2 cup water, salt and pepper in crock pot.
Drain juice from tomatoes into measuring cup.
Add tomatoes, garlic, onions and potatoes to crock pot.
Blend juice from tomatoes and enough water to equal 2
cups liquid. Add cumin, oregano, and chili powder and flour into
tomato juice mixture and mix/whisk well. Add to crock pot.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook on LOW for 6 - 7 hours until sauce is thickened and meat and veggies are tender. (I had to cook for 8 to 9 hours to get meat really tender) If sauce is not thickened, whisk a couple more Tablespoons of flour in some warm/hot water and add to pot. Let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Repeat as necessary to get sauce to desired thickness.
Great served with warm flour tortillas.