Empathy in love vs. empathy in practice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tandemtruths

Hello folks, I have a nice little topic that can have some monumental effects sometimes, in my experience. All of us have, or have had friends in our lifetime. Maybe not as many have had friends with a mutual caring for each other, or a relationship where that caring feeling comes into play often. I wanted to bring up a couple issues that can prevent the development of this mutual kind of caring relationship. It comes down to if we in ourselves, are truly empathetic to that person's needs, or practice a prescribed empathy.

I'm going to start with the first kind of ''practice'' that will usually damage more than it helps. Simply put, it can be described as talking out of turn. To expound, talking to make sure OUR point is heard, because everything WE say is important. To borrow some terminology from a dear brother, ''shake n' bake Christianity'' falls under this category. When someone comes to us describing an issue, as Christians we often forget to separate ''boiling off'' from seeking advice. Regardless of the situation, we are quick to throw cliche' sayings, and shallow preprepared advice like dodgeballs. The truth in the sayings isn't in question, the TIMING of which, and the placement are the negative components. We can't be so quick to need to make a point that we forget WHO we even want to make the point for in the first place. We are all guilty of this at some point, and in some fashion. A person in a delicate situation needs to be treated delicately. We can't take a souffle through a stadium, so not everybody in a group needs to shed their opinion on what someone should do, and sometimes no one should. Sometimes we just need to listen to feel them out, which brings me to the next destructive ''practice''.

Empathy is often practiced, but rarely out of love. The nearest thing I can hypothesize that seems to nudge our brand of empathy, is obligation. We are SUPPOSED to be empathetic to people, DUUUUUH! Yes, indeed we should be, but why? (a question a believer should always ask before we do anything) That isn't a why for God, but a why directed at ourselves. My favorite chapter is 1 Cor 13, because it makes you feel good, as much as it can chastise. Are we motivated to empathize with an individual because we care for THEM, or are we motivated because if we don't, it would be wrong? So here's where the mistake comes, this one, potentially more damaging than the other. We let people know," it's okay, talk it out. I'm here for you". They will take us up on this offer, and even invest a lot of time coming to us. At some point, they will begin to trust us, begin to want to know us. For some reason, this catches us off guard. So we feel like they are ''buddies'' now. Except to them, they'll eventually come to realize there's a disparaging difference in how much you know about each other. We know 5, 6, 7 months worth about them, and they might know that we go to the store on weekends, and what our favorite TV show is. This becomes a slow, anxious struggle for that person as they come to realize that the trust, and thus the friendship/relationship, is one sided. This can be heartbreaking. Someone that has thought that every laugh you had was genuine, now questions those and other experiences. The anxiety of non-information creeps in. It completely collapses the relationship, due to imbalance. How do we avoid this one? It's not as self explanatory as the first problem (shut up). So what to do? What to do? When we run into that, we should typify our relationships on Earth, as that with our heavenly father. A large difference being, that people don't know everything about us. I kind of like to put it into my mind this way: When we don't lie, does that mean we only tell parts of the truth but leave some out? '' Technically I didn't lie, because I didn't say the opposite.'' Noooooooooooooooooo. When we don't tell the whole truth, it's still deception isn't it? When we don't share with people we are comfortable sharing with, it's deception just the same. A mixture of self deception has to make us think we're okay, we don't need to say anymore, then a dose of '' Look over there!It's shiny! '' for the other person.

We can't start something we can't finish with people. We need to be forthwith with the truth. Not telling can lead someone astray just as easily as telling wrongly. If you're friends, be a friend. If you aren't, let THEM know that. Ripping off a bandage stings, but unless you change it, the wound will fester.

I am Tandemtruths, and I approve this message

M

MidniteWelder

I wholeheartedly agree, if one is telling partial truths yet still trying to hide even one fact
....since the root motive and intent even if no lie has been told...is still deception
The same deception Satan not only USED in the garden but also TAUGHT Adam and Eve in an indirect (deceiving manner)
I had a revealing dream one time which tied many of these things together
Glory to God for speaking to us even while asleep

One way to understand it is to ask ourselves, why does a child lie, or even resort to I dunno or I dont remember?
.......Theyre afraid of the consequences of their actions.
Why not tell the whole truth and face whatever consequences right then.
We will have to face them anyway, even if not here on earth right?
Is it not better to face them now than later which could be even worse?
Or better yet, always be openly honest with intent and motive in order to always have a clear conscience within others, ourselves and God
and within this, people are offered through us the ability to trust us as we would then be more able to trust others.....with ourselves, which is really the greatest gift anyone can offer.

I was talking to my Son the other day to try and help teach him about this lesson in how to not be deceiving as well as recognizing deception.
I used this as an example

Lets say you have a friend who invites you over for dinner.
you hang out and have a good time and at the end of the evening, the friend says, by the way I'd like to have you help me move this weekend.
Most would feel obligated suddenly out of duty or guilt for the friend just having had them over for dinner
yet the dinner obviously was used more like a tool as a means to an end.
People arent stupid, and in this scenerio its obvious the dinner wasnt to show gratitude for anything yet done but was used more as a bribe

Would it not be more honest open and straight forward to simply state the intention first so theres clarity in the communication with no deception involved
Hey I'd like you to help me move this weekend and to show my gratitude I'd like to have you over for dinner.

When Christ came, he asked us to love and obey his commands first, and then he gave us his gift(he died and gave his life afterward)
He didnt die first and then say, Ok NOWWW that Ive done this for you, I want you to follow me.

The details of the dream I had are irrelevant, but I liked it because it showed me
also how at times I myself have been guilty in some way of deception without realizing when my motives were more for myself than for another.
The bad side is that Im also more awakened to how much deception there really is out there. This would be one reason why a person may not accept help from others wondering what theyre gonna expect in return.
We've all seen those who want something and they try to use others to get it when they need to be relying on God to provide all we need in life.

The better way is grace: I'll provide just a couple definitions
Grace
5. A favor rendered by one who need not do so;
a. Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people

Kind of resembles random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty eh. :)

The world owes us nothing, God owes us nothing, they were both here first.
We owe him.
Our reward is in heaven.
Be awesome, be giving and expect nothing
Anything else is called a blessing.
The greatest act of kindness is the one that is freely given because you care about another person and want them to be happy and you don't expect anything in return. The thing about kindness is that it has its own rewards and will improve your sense of well-being and happiness and most importantly ones true and devout relationship with God, our maker.

Last edited: