Enter My 'rest.' Is this Heaven on earth, or, what?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 8, 2012
Is this what is meant by: 'Repent, for the kingdom.of Heaven is at hand!' ?

Hi Green!
The way I interpret that scripture is Jesus was here on earth, (within arms length to those who
wanted to touch Him). And His words nigh unto their ears.
That's just my opinion.

C

ChurchLover

Hebrews 3 speaks of entering God's rest. The Hebrews didn't enter it because of many disobediences to God, they tried God's last 'patience,' He was faithful, but then He said, gasp! , ' these people will not enter My rest.'

Is it really possible to win the race to rest before we get to Heaven?

What does this mean, Christ peeps :)
yes it is in his presences of almighty

G

GreenNnice

Hi Green!
The way I interpret that scripture is Jesus was here on earth, (within arms length to those who
wanted to touch Him). And His words nigh unto their ears.
That's just my opinion.
Good opinion, Rick. I think it's logical, but is there more to entering God's rest than just drawing nigh to Him, the phrase 'Enter My rest,' is from early Egyptian time of Israelites not able to enter His rest why? Disbelieving generation, right? They disbelieved by virtue of turning to other gods, creating a golden calf, complainingx you think, was part of it, too?

So, let's assume that God's rest CAN be entered here on earth, what is that way of entry?

Look at some piece(s) of Scripture that speak of some ways Jesus spoke of giving others 'rest,' like, for emlxample, His disciples. What kind of something could be 'overcome,' which could give one rest? Why did Jesus say to the Twelve, 'Be of good cheer...' ?

What about Paul? Anywhere in Scripture that he received 'rest' from his race , didn't he told us a few times in Scripture he was running a race? What kind of race? Did Paul allude that 'rest' could only come through death? Or, could it come some other way?

Just some questions. The Lord leads :)

yes it is in his presences of almighty
And, what would you call this being 'in His presence?'

Rest?

Or, is there another word, or, phrase, you'd like to use, Lovechurch?

Abidingsquirrel said this same 'rest' answer, but is Scripture saying anywhere that we are 'resting in His presence?'

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 8, 2012
This idea of entering into his rest is found in the book of Hebrews.
If you read the book of Hebrews from start to finish, you will see the writer is
addressing a heresy that was flourishing in some parts of the early church that an angel,(or angels), could
tell a person the words of God,(which words were contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ).
It appears some were coming forth saying, "I heard from an angel", or "an angel appeared to me and said".
Let's read:
Hebrews Chapter 1
1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
10And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
11They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
12And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
13But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

(see how the writer is comparing angels to the Messiah?)

Chapter 2
1Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. 2For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; 3How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 4God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? 5For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.
6But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
7Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
8Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
10For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
13And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.
14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. 17Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

(again, showing God made Himself lower than the angels, showing Jesus is greater than the 'so called' WORD from these angels)

Chapter 3
1Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. 3For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
7Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
8Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
11So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
12Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. 13But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 14For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
15While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. 17But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? 18And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? 19So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

(notice how the writer points to houses built by man? See how mankind make up the house of the body of Christ? And not angels)

Chapter 4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8For if Jesus(Joshua, the son of Nun), had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that Is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities(as would be if God was an angel); but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

(It's clear that the writer is saying we can enter into that rest{grace}, because God made Himself a human, and not an angel)

G

GreenNnice

The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want. I Love the perfect picture of 'rest,' there, which goes on to His leading us to perfect waters for us to drink out of , who leads us through death, we do jot fear, even it around us in life.

Uh, yeah, THIS is rest :)

God gave rest to the 'exiles' (Israelites) evebln though they were in 'great guilt' and 'iniquity,'
How gracious is God, who gave them 'reviving,' Ezra 9:7-8

We also see God's rest way before Hebrews , in Isaiah 14, as Israel is told by the Lord that their oppressor (Babylon) is no more , the captivity is no more , no more turmoil, there will be 'rest,' the prophet prophesied, so this was 'rest,' seen, just like baby Jesus is prophesied by Isaiah as well.

But, yes, rest is something that God will show us for a respite Or longer, the choice is ours. I think the real question for entering God's rest is simple, and, of course, the Holy Spirit leads the believer , born again, but, yes, the question is for how do we get to a state of rest, Or, Heaven on earth, of, sure, trials still coming, cuz James 1:2-4 says they will come, but, yes, pasture your life with the Lord . It's up to has the pasture is green. What do we 'want.' :)

Thanks for those answers, too, they do speak of 'rest,' Rick, and, sadly the disbelief of the Moses'led generation never saw God's rest :( Would have been simple, just shoulda not built a golden calf, complained, just let the Lord lead. Simple for them to have done, simple for us to do, entering God's rest is not some magical password, it's just passing our life completely out of wanting.
God is the same today, as yesterday, as forevermore. Never changing. Never leaving. Never forsaking, always wanting us to believe Him and His Word, through His Spirit leading us to all Truth, rest, peace :)

Sep 8, 2012
Yes Green.
You got it man!
He leads us and we follow........ if we don't follow, how can we find rest?
The nation of Israel murmured in the desert, (remember they'd just left Egypt.....where they had all manner of herbs, and spices,
and diverse meats,and delicacies, and any other thing that could claim the imagination). But they were slaves.
They would have rather been beaten........and have remained as slaves just to again taste one of those delicacies.
There is no rest in all the world has to offer.
Sometimes I think on this when I get a hankering for a pizza, or a hamburger.
(not that eating those is sin, but just the lust for the things that satisfy my carnal appetite.)
You see what I mean.
We have this constant fleshly desire, but Jesus gives us rest!
Both from continually obeying it,.......... or if we fall into sin, He is our advocate.
Peace to you my friend.

G

GreenNnice

Yes Green.
You got it man!
He leads us and we follow........ if we don't follow, how can we find rest?
The nation of Israel murmured in the desert, (remember they'd just left Egypt.....where they had all manner of herbs, and spices,
and diverse meats,and delicacies, and any other thing that could claim the imagination). But they were slaves.
They would have rather been beaten........and have remained as slaves just to again taste one of those delicacies.
There is no rest in all the world has to offer.
Sometimes I think on this when I get a hankering for a pizza, or a hamburger.
(not that eating those is sin, but just the lust for the things that satisfy my carnal appetite.)
You see what I mean.
We have this constant fleshly desire, but Jesus gives us rest!
Both from continually obeying it,.......... or if we fall into sin, He is our advocate.
Peace to you my friend.
The Lord leads us to 'rest' on Earth, and, we are THERE if His Spirit is alive and working in our life, there can be NO other way, for God is Love, He does, indeed, give us rest, I rest in Him daily, it may not look like it sometime, but, I do, and, sure, I have outbursts, things that my spirit waxes wrongly but His BLOOD covers ALL my sins and my given faith to continue--no matter what Satan tells me, and, Rick, like ALL of us, when we sin, that 'snake' tells us A LOT, guilts, shames, ridicules, you name it--KEEPS me guarded, uh, 'teflon' strengthed, if you will, as Satan's fires bounce right off, never ever never do I not bring things of sin immediately to His throne of grace, for Thou art with me and He keeps me from wanton ways getting me, He keeps me from 'want,' He keeps me in 'rest' as I toil daily in this Kingdom, asking Him to lead me on to His ways and to His will, Rick. :)

The Lord's prayer is how we should pray, as He prompts, sure, daily, but, more, IF He leads, and, He WILL lead we 'sparrows' all differently, we all are different, but we are all one in Him, with His mind given us even, wow! What an awesome THOUGHT is that Truth, from 1 Cor. 2 .

'But we have the mind of Christ.' This is hard to fully comprehend, but, through His Spirit we can, for He gives us understanding, and, in His understanding to us is 'rest.'

Yes, as the Lord leads, and, we follow, obediently to His leading, there is nothing that can touch us and no one, in His rest. To God be the glory, for He gives us, Rick, our rest here now, and, don't forget, later. :)

Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand ! Seek, as He faithfully leads, His rest. :)