Ephesians 5:1-7

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kip-s

Ephesians 5: 1-7:
"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them."

So it began in verse 1 with the command to "Walk in love." That is the best way to be imitators of God as His dear children because God is love (1 John 4: 8). It went further to state what Christ did for us because of His love for us. Love is sacrificial, and Christ sacrificed Himself for you and I. That is priceless!

Then the writer went ahead to list out a few things that we must not involve ourselves in as children of God. Those who do these things do not fully grasp the true concept of love. Those things are not acts of love. If you love someone you will not be covetous; fornicating with someone is not a true sign of love, it's only a means to satisfy sexual desires.

Anyway, verse 6 reads, "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience." Meaning that you would eventually, that is if you haven't yet, encounter some people who would talk smoothly and try to convince you that these things are not that bad and they are not such a big deal. "Oh, you can have sex without getting married, it's no big deal," etc. It says that no matter what any "good speaker" says, if it does not agree with the word/command of God when lined up with the Bible, do not do it!

We have to be obedient to God and do what He says, instead of what someone else asked us to do. Those who disobey God's command received great judgment from Him. So verse 7 states, "Therefore do not be partakers with them." That is, stay away from them. If you partake in their acts, you would partake in the consequences that follow as well.

Bottom line, no matter how flowery or how great someone's speech sounds like, if it does not match up with the word of God, we are not obligated to do it. God's word should be the final authority and it should be the priority! You cannot fully be imitators of God if you do not obey His commands.

(This is not an exhaustive exegesis. It's just a brief summary to encapsulate the first seven verses of Ephesians 5. But I hope it blesses you.)

P

Practice-English

Thanks for the sharing!

I didn't read it,
because I'm tired
and lazy but,

I took this Chapter
in my notes, then I can
read it tomorrow or another day.
Because I was searching for something
to read in the Bible, and I found your thread.
I already have something else to read,
but it will be another thing to read in the Bible.