Eternal Life - shall not perish but have eternal life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life
John 3:16

Eternal Life -
Eternal - time that never ends
Life - consciousness, the ability to choose and to express

Death - the ending of life, physically, spiritually

Could one have Eternal Life, a life that will never stop ( unless things change ), and then not?
We have life now. So is Eternal Life, our Life now going on eternally.

If Eternal Life is the promise God will not stop the life we have, then if this promise is removed we no longer
have Eternal Life. You could though only tell at the point life is taken from one.

So to establish this point in scripture you have to prove God is not just saying He is promising not to take life
away from the group who believe in His Son.

Revelations says we have eternal life because we are written in the Lambs book of Life.

This suggests eternal life is completely based on Gods intention and promise and not anything else.

There are three places where this is written about

Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book. Exodus 32:33
I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels. Rev 3:5

only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life Rev 21:27

So eternal life is not quite what some think it actually is.
And we need to be very careful how we describe these core issues, because this is the very message of salvation Jesus
has entrusted to us and upon which we depend.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
God's promises are irrevocable though, did you remember that?

Look at the definition of the word eternal: https://biblehub.com/greek/166.htm

You forgot to post these verses from revelation about teh book of life:

Revelation 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Revelation 13:8
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
God's promises are irrevocable though, did you remember that?

Look at the definition of the word eternal: https://biblehub.com/greek/166.htm

You forgot to post these verses from revelation about teh book of life:

Revelation 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Revelation 13:8
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Thanks for the verses.
What I am trying to explore is what is Eternal Life.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
This is an interesting point. What is irrevocable?

As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.
Rom 11:28-29

Two things are put here.
1. The jews are enemies of the gospel
2. They are loved

God blesses the Jews and they have His favour, yet they have been rejected, which is why we are accepted.

I draw from this, the promise is true and blessed, but if we are disobedient to it, we are condemned.
Otherwise the Jews are saved and destined for glory, individually and as a group.

So if Gods promise to us His people is irrevocable, if we are disobedient, we will be rejected just as the jews were.

I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.
Rom 11:25

Do not become conceited, ie presumptuous, because one is an heir to the promise one can trample on its foundations.

There are parables about abusing the blessing we have in Christ, yet this is exactly what some claim is not relevant.