Excerpt from St Chrysostom, Homilys Chapter 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
What then? Do you command us to live for display and vain glory? Far from it; I say not this; for I did not say, Give ye diligence to bring forward your own good deeds, neither did I say, Show them; but Let your light shine. That is, Let your virtue be great, and the fire abundant, and the light unspeakable. For when virtue is so great, it cannot lie hidden, though its pursuer shade it over ten thousand fold. Present unto them an irreprehensible life, and let them have no true occasion of evil speaking; and then, though there be thousands of evil-speakers, no man shall be able to cast any shade upon you. And well did He say, your light, for nothing makes a man so illustrious, how manifold soever his will to be concealed, as the manifestation of virtue. For as if he were clad with the very sunbeam, so he shines, yet brighter than it; not spending his rays on earth, but surmounting also Heaven itself.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
A man that seems to be obsessed about being the focus of praise and vain glory.. It is better to point people to the perfect life and example of Jesus then spend ones time trying to be seen as the perfect example that others need to emulate..

Mar 4, 2020
Matthew 5:16
16In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Matthew 5:16
16In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Yes, Exactly! 1 Cor 1:11 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

A living Godly person or a Saint that lived and wrote Godly things can be a good example.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
What then? Do you command us to live for display and vain glory? Far from it; I say not this; for I did not say, Give ye diligence to bring forward your own good deeds, neither did I say, Show them; but Let your light shine. That is, Let your virtue be great, and the fire abundant, and the light unspeakable. For when virtue is so great, it cannot lie hidden, though its pursuer shade it over ten thousand fold. Present unto them an irreprehensible life, and let them have no true occasion of evil speaking; and then, though there be thousands of evil-speakers, no man shall be able to cast any shade upon you. And well did He say, your light, for nothing makes a man so illustrious, how manifold soever his will to be concealed, as the manifestation of virtue. For as if he were clad with the very sunbeam, so he shines, yet brighter than it; not spending his rays on earth, but surmounting also Heaven itself.
He was an ascetic, clearly more interested in appearing more pious than he probably was.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
He was an ascetic, clearly more interested in appearing more pious than he probably was.
Could have been worse. He could have been a Diogenes, bent on proving that all the people around him were not as good as they claimed to be.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the
Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. Kjv 8:13

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Could have been worse. He could have been a Diogenes, bent on proving that all the people around him were not as good as they claimed to be.
At least if I have something to say to someone I say it to their face like a man. I don't hide behind inuuendo like a coward.

Besides, I never said all people weren't as good as they claimed to be. That's a mischaracterization and not a little dishonest.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I can't argue with that scripture. I just don't see a good case for asceticism.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
"These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence." Colossians 2:23

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
"These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence." Colossians 2:23
Could also mean: Rules about avoiding certain foods, or avoiding work on certain days, may sound good and wise. They might make it look like we have power over our bodies

I don’t think our Master would mind us fasting because He says…when you fast. Fasting can be considered an ascetic practice.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
You don’t want any discipline?
I want self-control. If I sit in a monastery chanting all day is that supposed to give me self-control? Self-control is a gift of the Holy Spirit. It comes by asking the Father, not be making a show of how disciplined I am. Asceticism is false humility and making a show of how pious and disciplined you are. Big difference.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Could also mean: Rules about avoiding certain foods, or avoiding work on certain days, may sound good and wise. They might make it look like we have power over our bodies

I don’t think our Master would mind us fasting because He says…when you fast. Fasting can be considered an ascetic practice.
Look, if you want to be an ascetic great. Just don't expect everyone to agree and don't think you can change my mind. This isn't something I'm on the fence about and I certainly am not interested in debating it.

ebdesroches

Aug 20, 2022
Ok! Lets enjoy God’s word and love Him and worship Him, obey Him in everything!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
At least if I have something to say to someone I say it to their face like a man. I don't hide behind inuuendo like a coward.

Besides, I never said all people weren't as good as they claimed to be. That's a mischaracterization and not a little dishonest.
Hmm? I never said a word about you.

But I know a few people who would give Diogenese a run for his money. I'd rather know an ascetic than a Diognese any day.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Hmm? I never said a word about you.

But I know a few people who would give Diogenese a run for his money. I'd rather know an ascetic than a Diognese any day.
That's about the kind of response I expected. No worries.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Thank you for sharing Ed. I always enjoy reading these.