Faith and Planning

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 10, 2008
Hopefully this thread is a little more clear than my last...

Recently I've been going through some very uncertain times. I know about God's promises about faith, I know about the centurion who Jesus himself said had great faith. I believe, I know without a doubt, that God can do anything.

At the same time, we know that God's supernatural power is bound by His very nature. As was humourously portrayed in Bruce Almighty, God has a lot to balance. I acknowledge God's divine nature as being best. I seek to follow God's will in everything, and seek to know God's will in everything I do.

So, on the one hand we have great power in faith; on the other hand we have God's will, which is different than ours. I have heard of people who seem to take faith to an extreme. These people pray to God to provide them something and then act as though they already have it. An example would be: Joe prays that God will give him a wife in 2 months. Joe then goes and reserves a chapel and starts looking for a tux. He has such faith that God will give him a wife.

But if it is not God's will, isn't all of it foolish? We are commanded to seek God's will (the Lord's prayer). And yet, it seems that acting on the idea that you will be given what you ask for seems to be demonstrating far more faith than just asking.

How does this balancing act work? Demonstrating faith, knowing that God is all powerful, and yet acknowledging that God's will is best. That God will give us what we need, that God's timing is perfect.

--

On a related topic, I have found myself often asking God 'why' He does things that He does. It seems on one hand that discovering the 'why' may lead to avoiding sin in the future. And yet, is it really my place to ask God 'why' He does what He does? I mean I know the general 'why': In the end, it is best. But... why didn't this specific thing work out? Is it beneficial to contemplate this and seek a specific answer?

--

Opinions, thoughts?

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I like where you are going with this.

I have to think about this some more but I will get back with you.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I ask for God's will to be done in everything. I know that I have no faith, and never have. If God wants to give me something, He will surprise me with it. I can ask, I can beg, I can pester... but always, ALWAYS not my will, but His be done.

I smile when I read of Elisha grabbing the cloak, striking the water, and saying "Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah?". But faith comes from God, and thus far, He has given me none.

Re: asking why... I believe that there are times when we can and should ask why. For example, if a bad thing happens, sometimes that's the "chastening" of the Lord. And sometimes it isn't. But I think the best way to find out if He's trying to tell you something... is to ask Him. ;)

L

Liz01

In my opinion God likes that we ask Him the things and that when we have a need we search Him because is our father and i believe that He will give us according to his will because its a promise. But i think that its important to learn how to ask too.

I have asked many things to God in the past and He has given me a lot of things but not all the things that i asked for. But i have realized too that the things that He didnt give me were wisely not given by Him because in the moment i asked, i thought those things were perfect but after some time i saw that there werent and it was perfect that God didnt give me those and that He saved me a lot of pain.

When i think about God i think that His sees through the time while our view is immobile, and then i think in what Job 38 says and then i trust in what He does. So im trying now to ask God guidance when i ask Him for something that i want.

And despite He gives us or not what we asked Him for, i am completely sure that if we ask God, He will answer and He will give us what is the best for us.

K

keep_on_smiling

Such a thought provoking post! Not sure I can get my thoughts out, but I shall try...

The way I see it is that we know that everything will be done in the Lord’s timing and that everything will work out for the good of His people. Knowing and believing this is having faith in God, His will, and His plan for us. Being patient and waiting on Him is a way of demonstrating your faith. So, I guess for me it’s not really a balancing act, they kind of just coincide.

Unless the Lord has revealed to you what His will in certain areas of your life are, then nobody truly knows what His plan for you is; so we trust and have faith that things are going to work out.

As far as asking for things and waiting to receive them in faith goes:
We can prepare ourselves for things to happen, but unless the Lord gives you a certain time frame or direction we need to find a way to be content in waiting and growing closer to God. Have faith and demonstrate this in how you feel the Lord is leading you to, whether that is through waiting and growing or physically preparing something.

Setting up a plan and preparing things in expecting something to happen isn't necessarily showing or acting out your faith more than waiting for His timing and direction. The way that we demonstrate our faith is dependent on the situation and what the Lord has shown you. Above all else the Lord knows your heart and your faith in Him. We don't have to worry about how we are showing our faith, it kinda just happens.

K

keep_on_smiling

On a related topic, I have found myself often asking God 'why' He does things that He does. It seems on one hand that discovering the 'why' may lead to avoiding sin in the future. And yet, is it really my place to ask God 'why' He does what He does? I mean I know the general 'why': In the end, it is best. But... why didn't this specific thing work out? Is it beneficial to contemplate this and seek a specific answer?

--

Opinions, thoughts?
I think wondering why things happen or don't happen is very common.

It's true, it's not really our place to ask, "why did this happen" especially out of anger or expecting an answer, however I do think when we feel like 'why?' that we are given the opportunity to look at ourselves and see what needs to change in us. We know the Lord has a perfect plan, so why are we bothered?

In asking or thinking 'why?', often times we can find areas and opportunities for growth. As long as we don't expect a specific answer, we can learn a lot from asking "why?". Perhaps, we just learn we need to trust the Lord a little more in certain areas, maybe we learn that our desire isn't aligning with God's will ect.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I ask for God's will to be done in everything. I know that I have no faith, and never have. If God wants to give me something, He will surprise me with it. I can ask, I can beg, I can pester... but always, ALWAYS not my will, but His be done.

I smile when I read of Elisha grabbing the cloak, striking the water, and saying "Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah?". But faith comes from God, and thus far, He has given me none.

Re: asking why... I believe that there are times when we can and should ask why. For example, if a bad thing happens, sometimes that's the "chastening" of the Lord. And sometimes it isn't. But I think the best way to find out if He's trying to tell you something... is to ask Him. ;)
Addendum to my previous post:

The Lord's Prayer doesn't say, "give us our daily bread if it be Thy will." And after thinking about it, I can think of two times when I asked for something without that "if it's Your will" qualifier. Both things were quite necessary, along the lines of daily bread. So I think there are some things that are a bit beyond that... things that are actual needs. And the bible does say that God shall supply all of your needs.

In the example given though, I think it would be extremely foolish for Joe to ask God to give him a wife at all, much less in a specific time frame. That's just asking for God to say, "Okay, but it's Lou Ella; that girl you can't stand."

By the way, God did indeed supply both of the needs I mentioned.

G

GreenNnice

Hopefully this thread is a little more clear than my last...

Recently I've been going through some very uncertain times. I know about God's promises about faith, I know about the centurion who Jesus himself said had great faith. I believe, I know without a doubt, that God can do anything.

At the same time, we know that God's supernatural power is bound by His very nature. As was humourously portrayed in Bruce Almighty, God has a lot to balance. I acknowledge God's divine nature as being best. I seek to follow God's will in everything, and seek to know God's will in everything I do.

So, on the one hand we have great power in faith; on the other hand we have God's will, which is different than ours. I have heard of people who seem to take faith to an extreme. These people pray to God to provide them something and then act as though they already have it. An example would be: Joe prays that God will give him a wife in 2 months. Joe then goes and reserves a chapel and starts looking for a tux. He has such faith that God will give him a wife.

But if it is not God's will, isn't all of it foolish? We are commanded to seek God's will (the Lord's prayer). And yet, it seems that acting on the idea that you will be given what you ask for seems to be demonstrating far more faith than just asking.

How does this balancing act work? Demonstrating faith, knowing that God is all powerful, and yet acknowledging that God's will is best. That God will give us what we need, that God's timing is perfect.

--

--

Opinions, thoughts?
Lightnin, God says that man takes his own path, but God redirects man's steps. Prov. 16:3

We are ALL given 'a measure of faith,' and, it's a fair, equal measure for all, now, some will try to teach you that some are given more faith than others. But that is not the God I know I serve, God gives us all same amount and how we build it is up to us as we obey Him. Faith is what moves us, we take steps forward in our life in faith, whether it's buying a house, or,beben having the faith that we can buy a house, or, going out with a girl that is not quite like us perfectly but God put her in our path so...... Faith , with faith, we can move mountains, and, it's just a minute amount needed, per mustard seed scripture.

Faith comes by hearing, and, hearing by the Word of God, lightnin. So....

If you want to increase your messure of faith, you need to get into the Word and read, ask questions, read, ask more questions, and, let the Lord lead, as you speak.to your pastor or a trusted Christian friend or family relative. God will show you great and mighty things for canning the planning and just follow Him, realizing that God has a plan for your being faith-filled for doing His will. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
We are ALL given 'a measure of faith,' and, it's a fair, equal measure for all, now, some will try to teach you that some are given more faith than others. But that is not the God I know I serve, God gives us all same amount and how we build it is up to us as we obey Him.
"For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit... to another faith by the same Spirit..."

Faith , with faith, we can move mountains, and, it's just a minute amount needed, per mustard seed scripture.
And I haven't moved any mountains. So, instead of "no faith", maybe I should say, "I don't know how much faith I have, but I know it's less than the size of a mustard seed."

What I was getting at is, even if I wanted to use faith to "get whatever I wanted", regardless of whether or not God wanted me to have it... I can't. I do not have the level of faith which moves mountains. And I don't know of anyone who does.

And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

GOD_IS_LOVE

Mar 16, 2009
...on the other hand we have God's will, which is different than ours.
Why would that be the case? The will of our flesh is different than the will of God, but we are to put that to death.

Is it beneficial to contemplate this and seek a specific answer?
I think it's beneficial to seek to understand why certain things happen and learn a lesson from that.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2008
GOD_IS_LOVE,

Isaiah 55:8 - “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.

GOD_IS_LOVE

Mar 16, 2009
GOD_IS_LOVE,

Isaiah 55:8 - “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
Yes, but this refers to our natural ways. If we walk in the Spirit, our ways will be God's ways. If we become intimate with God, what we will desire will not be far from what He desires.

Feb 10, 2008
Yes, but this refers to our natural ways. If we walk in the Spirit, our ways will be God's ways. If we become intimate with God, what we will desire will not be far from what He desires.
All good things come from God. If I have any desire that coincides with what God desires it is only because He gave it to me.