Faith, Knowledge and Doubt

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

VanIsland

My story starts out with a young married couple in love who decided to grow their family​

Chapter 1:

I was born into a christian household that was supportive and financially stable. As a child I was not capable of understanding the world, my place within it and to some extent, the religion that my parents were part of. Nonetheless, I embraced the teachings and grew in a christian environment. Eventually my interest in the religion began to fade as the rituals became repetitive and my peers, disinterested. I struggled in my classes, with self esteem and my individual identity.

Chapter 2:

At the start of middle school, things took a drastic turn. In the midst of my struggles with meaning and purpose a new friend entered into my life, he would become one of my closest friends for the remainder of my time in middle-school and high-school. It began with an invitation to a youth-group which I accepted. Unlike others, this one had a wide age range, enthusiastic youth-pastor and strong sense of community. I felt immediately welcomed and as part of the community. I continued to attend for the stability of the community and fellowship it provided. The youth-pastor had a strong focus on the bible and introduced us to young adults in the church who would serve as mentors and accountability partners. While I had started to attend because of the support and kindness of the community, I quickly began to learn about Gods word and Christianity. Eventually I came to understand the religion, take it on as my own and accept Christ as my personal saviour. I was empowered by the christian community and with the knowledge of gods love for me. Throughout both middle-school and High-school I became extremely active in my church, school, youth-group and various bible studies, becoming a mentor to others and leader in my church.

Chapter 3:

Upon high-school graduation my life took another eventful turn. I was accepted into university and began to see where the path my God set out for me was leading. My education required moving churches but I continued to maintain contact with my good friends and mentors. I eventually found community on campus with a christian group and continued to grow in my faith. While none of my classmates or professors were critical of my beliefs, I decided to critically analyze and deconstruct my beliefs while continuing my involvement with the christian community in order to ensure a strong foundation. While this allowed me to strengthen my beliefs, it put others into question and into doubt. Aspects of what I had come to believe was true and holy were turned on their side and hypocrisy in the Christian community became evident.

Chapter 4:

Half-way through my second year in university I withdrew from the Christian community. While I put on the mask of christianity for my family and friends, in private (and with a select few peers) I further examined my beliefs and reasons for them. Furthermore, I began to study other religions, philosophies, cultural narratives and world-views. While I maintained by belief in God, I felt as if I could no longer call myself a christian as I doubted the accuracy and reliability of the bible, as well as many mainstream christian teachings. Furthermore, I was also able to identify the indoctrination tactics, mass hypnosis, etc. that my youth-pastor and the christian community had utilized to keep us in the faith.

Chapter 5:

Over my third and fourth year in university I fell away from my faith and eventually lost faith in god. It was not an easy process and I was unable to admit it to myself for quite some time. I went from devout christian, to theist, to agnostic to atheist. While I had lost the foundation of my faith I began to rebuild my understanding of morality, purpose and meaning. While frightening, it was also empowering as for the first time in a long time, I was in charge of my destiny. My beliefs were justified and I avoided unnecessary assumptions.

Chapter 6:

Having graduated from university and started a career I have a clear purpose in my life. I have strong relationships and a admirable code of conduct and ethics. I am not sure where my life will take me, but I know it has meaning and significance. I realize that I am in a continuous process of growth and maturity and look forward to where my life will take me.

Chapter 7+:

Yet to be written :)