Faith works and the law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I am sure you are all sick of these threads about the law and salvation through faith or works and also about the law but I just had to make this because we need to put aside our childish bickering and accept what the scriptures say not what we say or think or believe.
Concerning about faith and works there is a scripture used often that says that faith without works is dead and sadly it is misused a lot. There really isn't that much to understand if we accept Christ it is by faith we are saved not works of any kind and it is very clear with Abraham

Romans 4:3

What does Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

next the law which has started so many fights including the sabbath fights. Jesus plainly said he did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. The law given to moses was specifically meant for the jews God's chosen ppl but when we are saved are we not then made his chosen ppl? so then what excuse do we have to pick and choose the laws we wish to follow? and before anyone goes into the whole stoning women thing or any other kind of law that they think can disprove the law in any way this is what jesus says “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.” (Matthew 5:17, 18). Jesus came to change the game, instead of stoning ppl we called us to show mercy and love instead of condemning he showed to encourage. so yes i am sure ppl can play that card as the pharisee's did and any other twisting and misuse of scripture that defies Jesus nature and ways of doing things but remember that it is not me or other ppl you are going against or trying to disprove but the scriptures-the very mouth breathed words of God himself the ultimate power and authority.

I have said many times to be careful how you treat and use scripture. scripture like the law is stone that cannot be broken or moved until God himself does so. It also is very sacred very holy and extremely powerful, many ppl say how powerful scripture is but fail to understand it is fire and if you play with fire you will be burned. So ppl go around twisting scripture to fit their owns beliefs, they go around using it against each other like a weapon, they use it to judge condemn and mock each other and they use it to prove themselves right when they are in the wrong. This is something I am very passionate about and I will say it as many times as it takes, the bible the holy word of God almighty himself is not a toy and should be used and respected with the utmost care love and respect. also just because you don't understand a view on scripture or the scripture itself or just because it doesn't fit your view or belief doesn't mean it is wrong it could simply mean you don't understand it.

I don't understand the scripture on how paul spoke of women not teaching and to be silent in church but I don't credit the scripture or the view as wrong it simply means I myself do not understnad it and do not have the wisdom to fully know and explain it

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Blain, I see that your intent is pure and innocent but I can just see this thread turning into another scriptural fist fight where people think if you don't do what I think is right then you are wrong and your salvation is at stake, if your were saved at all. Sad, but yeah..

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Blain, I see that your intent is pure and innocent but I can just see this thread turning into another scriptural fist fight where people think if you don't do what I think is right then you are wrong and your salvation is at stake, if your were saved at all. Sad, but yeah..
I am sure that is how it will be but this is why I made it clear to be careful and that if ppl try to disprove or twist what the scriptures clearly say they are not going against me or anyone else but the word of God.

A wise friend of mine I go to church said to me to post scripture in what I say so that if someone tried to do what you mentioned and what I mentioned like attacking or twisting with scripture it isn't me they are attacking or but God and his word.

T

The_highwayman

“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.” (Matthew 5:17, 18). .
Could you describe in your own words what Jesus meant when he said this?

T

The_highwayman

What would you say if someone said they were unsure of its meaning at this point in their walk?
Then it would be up to a more spiritually mature saint to instruct the lesser in the word and what Jesus was stating.
IOW be an Aquila and Priscilla to that person.

It would also be wisdom for someone that is unsure of the meaning of a scripture to NOT post it in support of something they are trying to stop.

Last edited:

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Then it would be up to a more spiritually mature saint to instruct the lesser in the word and what Jesus was stating.
IOW be an Aquila and Priscilla to that person.
Yeah for sure, or the Holy Spirit can also give the person understanding in His time. <-- This one I prefer more, though I do like listening to those whom I trust in the Lord :)

T

The_highwayman

Yeah for sure, or the Holy Spirit can also give the person understanding in His time. <-- This one I prefer more, though I do like listening to those whom I trust in the Lord :)
Just remember, the Holy Spirit is your teacher and when he sends you a Aquila and Priscilla, it is usually for confirmation of what he already taught you and for your maturing and equipping that they explain the word of God to you in greater detail.

This is a part of discipleship the current church as lost and the lazy christian has placed on the back of the pastor to perform.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Could you describe in your own words what Jesus meant when he said this?
honestly I do not fully understand this as I lack the wisdom and insight and maturity. I posted this scripture because to me it seemed as if Jesus was saying that the law was set in stone and never to pass away until God himself does it and that he came to fulfill the law as you notice he did everything the law commanded in his life here and by law I mean the ten commandments however if I am to be honest it is very possible I do not fully understand it and thus if I have even a little doubt in my understanding of it I am not qualified to to post it or explain it as if I know what it means.

So I went against what I have said in the op even though I didn't do it for the reasons it usually is done in but I take full responsiblity

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Just remember, the Holy Spirit is your teacher and when he sends you a Aquila and Priscilla, it is usually for confirmation of what he already taught you and for your maturing and equipping that they explain the word of God to you in greater detail.

This is a part of discipleship the current church as lost and the lazy christian has placed on the back of the pastor to perform.
Awesome post, and yes, the pastor's role in churches today is a misaligned one. They are not to be treated as an Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist AND Teacher all rolled into one..but that's another issue.

T

The_highwayman

honestly I do not fully understand this as I lack the wisdom and insight and maturity. I posted this scripture because to me it seemed as if Jesus was saying that the law was set in stone and never to pass away until God himself does it and that he came to fulfill the law as you notice he did everything the law commanded in his life here and by law I mean the ten commandments however if I am to be honest it is very possible I do not fully understand it and thus if I have even a little doubt in my understanding of it I am not qualified to to post it or explain it as if I know what it means.

So I went against what I have said in the op even though I didn't do it for the reasons it usually is done in but I take full responsiblity
It's OK blain, I am not out to take you out, but to assist your spiritual wisdom. :)

TO avoid cluttering the reply, I will not be posting a gazillion scriptures, but giving you where to look.

The beginning of understanding what Jesus was saying in Matt 5, actually starts with understanding the sin offering the high priest made on behalf of the the Israelite's in the Old Testament. Jesus was sinless and then was made sin by God, that we might be made righteous. When Jesus died on the cross and rose he again and sat down on the right hand of the Father, he Fulfilled the OT Mosaic Law, including the 10 commandments.

Not another man before Jesus Christ could fulfill the law, it was impossible. But Jesus did, because he was sinless and fulfilled every line[jot & title] of the Law. You have some understadning, because Jesus did fulfill the law down here.

This is why we state you are no longer under the law, but saved by grace, through your faith.

This is enough for you now and its not milk or even a milk shake, its a tiny bit of meat of the word. If you do anything in your walk, you should ask God to give you the spirit of wisdom and understanding to give you the revelation of righteousness.

You stated it perfectly Jesus fulfilled the law, but only through his death, resurrection and sitting at the right hand of the Father. Start your study on understanding the sin sacrifice in the Old testament

T

The_highwayman

Awesome post, and yes, the pastor's role in churches today is a misaligned one. They are not to be treated as an Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist AND Teacher all rolled into one..but that's another issue.
Yes it is a another topic, the 5 fold ministry is alive and well today and has not ceased, nor will cease until Jesus comes back.