FALSE MEMORIES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

J-Kay-2

What do you have to say about "False Memories ?"
I have an article from Newsweek 1994 entitled
You Must Remember This.

It brought to mind about how people who often are in
re-hab for drug addiction or alcoholism and group therapy.
I had to sit in on some when my daughter was in there and
I learned people can actually believe something happened
to them when it did not really.

Any stories about 'false memories' ?

I

inthewind

I am not sure how to describe the one memory I had that lingered from early childhood into my early adult life. I was raised on a small farm and my grandparents lived on the next farm. By the time I was 6 both grandparents had died and their house and farm buildings sat vacant. I was forever playing in their barns and other outbuildings that were heaped with curiosities that my grandfather had collected over the years but the house was something I stayed clear of and I never really knew why. Now I wasn't afraid of ghosts or anything except for chickens and the dark and the fear of the dark was something I grew out of in my early teens but that house never sat well with me especially at night. My father worked away from home and my mother had occasion to go visiting at the widow lady's place on the other side of my grandparents place and, well, when your 6 or so, and alone, and afraid of the dark your get all worked up and that's what I did. Invariably, when I could stand it no longer I would take a course of action that would see me seek out my mother. A few times I dashed across the front of my grandparents yard but the best and safest route was to run to the road to down to the widow lady's driveway. When I did cross my grandparents property I would pick up a piece of firewood from the woodpile for protection although I had know idea what I was going to use the firewood on.
As time went by I forgot about this silly childhood fear and at some point I had linked this fear to my fear of the dark and perhaps the loss of my grandparents for my grandmother had several heart attacks and I do recall hearing hear moaning at night, once in the field as she tried to make it to our house. Not to many years back I was channel surfing and stopped at a show about supernatural investigations, not that I have any sort of interest in this type of show. The narrator of the show was explain that they had set up cameras and sound equipment in a clearing amidst the forest somewhere in France, as it was said that strange things happened in the clearing at night. As the recordings of the night were played I instantly associated the sounds I was hearing with my experience with my grandparents house and I had never before had any recollection of sounds that frightened me but hearing those sounds frightened me like I was never frightened before. As quick as I could I grabbed the channel changer and shut the TV of and for the remainder of the night I was some upset.

I don't know if this fits into a false memory category but somewhere I was certainly misled by some sort of memory .....confusion.

J

J-Kay-2

I am not sure how to describe the one memory I had that lingered from early childhood into my early adult life. I was raised on a small farm and my grandparents lived on the next farm. By the time I was 6 both grandparents had died and their house and farm buildings sat vacant. I was forever playing in their barns and other outbuildings that were heaped with curiosities that my grandfather had collected over the years but the house was something I stayed clear of and I never really knew why. Now I wasn't afraid of ghosts or anything except for chickens and the dark and the fear of the dark was something I grew out of in my early teens but that house never sat well with me especially at night. My father worked away from home and my mother had occasion to go visiting at the widow lady's place on the other side of my grandparents place and, well, when your 6 or so, and alone, and afraid of the dark your get all worked up and that's what I did. Invariably, when I could stand it no longer I would take a course of action that would see me seek out my mother. A few times I dashed across the front of my grandparents yard but the best and safest route was to run to the road to down to the widow lady's driveway. When I did cross my grandparents property I would pick up a piece of firewood from the woodpile for protection although I had know idea what I was going to use the firewood on.
As time went by I forgot about this silly childhood fear and at some point I had linked this fear to my fear of the dark and perhaps the loss of my grandparents for my grandmother had several heart attacks and I do recall hearing hear moaning at night, once in the field as she tried to make it to our house. Not to many years back I was channel surfing and stopped at a show about supernatural investigations, not that I have any sort of interest in this type of show. The narrator of the show was explain that they had set up cameras and sound equipment in a clearing amidst the forest somewhere in France, as it was said that strange things happened in the clearing at night. As the recordings of the night were played I instantly associated the sounds I was hearing with my experience with my grandparents house and I had never before had any recollection of sounds that frightened me but hearing those sounds frightened me like I was never frightened before. As quick as I could I grabbed the channel changer and shut the TV of and for the remainder of the night I was some upset.

I don't know if this fits into a false memory category but somewhere I was certainly misled by some sort of memory .....confusion.

As I read your story I thought to myself, how do we know what is really false memory ?
I don't think yours was a false memory. It was a memory that was real. It could be you
are super sensitive to spiritual side and what you felt was real. Like you, I don't want to
dwell on that because it is not of Christ. But, I do understand your story very well and
I can relate.

I had a lot of things run through my mind from memories too. Fear of dark. I recall in
our home, growing up, we had a 2 story farm home and I recall the times I would feel
as if something was behind me as I walked up the steps to get upstairs. I have no
way of knowing if anyone died there or not. It was just one of those things I never did
forget.

You were wise to turn off the TV. I have been involved in supernatural before
salvation, and I know, the evils of it. It is alluring. God bless your heart, you knew to
turn it off. I bet you went to bed praying didn't you ? I have had instances here
when I have gone to YouTube searching for something and run into the most
horrendous video with demonic sounds and like you..... I could not get out fast
enough. Always, when you go to bed, never fail to speak to Jesus and ask Him
to be with you. I am sure you do that. God bless you and thank you for sharing.

J

J-Kay-2

I have a memory that I never knew where it came from, and when I
discussed it with my mother, she said no, it did not happen.
Somewhere along my life I always thought my Mom had told me my
biological father took us to the river to drown her because she was
pregnant with me.

I am terrified of water to this day. I have been in pools, but can't
swim, and am afraid of slipping in the water and drowning. Now
where did that come from ? Mom said it did not happen. Where
in my life for years think that happened ? I have no clue.

J

J-Kay-2

In reference to the Group Therapy and false memories..... I was referring to
those who thought things happened to them ... no that is not right, some heard
stories told by those who really had bad things happen, and the people learned
to use someone elses story during their counseling sessions.

Oct 31, 2011
I find it amazing how everyone sifts what they hear and know today through the emotions and understandings of their yesterdays!

I am elderly, yet it was quite recent that I discovered that my judging every organized person as hard and uncaring was wrong! I had formed this idea as a very young child who saw my aunts who considered their housework schedule of supreme importance, when I thought many other things were more important. If someone was an excellent housekeeper, I held that against them, of all the ridiculous things to do!

Much of scripture talks of this. Phil 3:13-14 says to forget the past and press on. We go to Christ daily to be cleansed from what was wrong with our yesterdays, and we are to go forward in Christ, a new person.

W

Wingless

Its probably not even worth mentioning but I have never drank alcohol or anything like that, but for some reason my brain equates certain things to tasting like beer. It has actually had me really concerned before because sometimes I get so convinced that I have tasted alcohol before that I have to sit and think about it for a bit lol

J

J-Kay-2

Its probably not even worth mentioning but I have never drank alcohol or anything like that, but for some reason my brain equates certain things to tasting like beer. It has actually had me really concerned before because sometimes I get so convinced that I have tasted alcohol before that I have to sit and think about it for a bit lol
This is just a wild guess, but could someone have put beer on your tongue,
or up to your lips as a toddler? You would know if someone in family drank
and maybe consider it as a possibility.. Some people think it is cute to see
a child make a face at something yucky. Then there is a possibility some
where down the lineage, someone was an alcoholic .... and you need to pray
against the desire if it ever begins to take a strong pull on you... Just a thought.
Thanks for your input... I appreciate it.

W

Wingless

I suppose that's entirely possible ^_^ My dad is actually an alcoholic and after seeing how it effects people's lives I've never even considered drinking nor do I plan to lol.

J

J-Kay-2

I suppose that's entirely possible ^_^ My dad is actually an alcoholic and after seeing how it effects people's lives I've never even considered drinking nor do I plan to lol.
Wingless, I know it is not your intention to become like your dad. I pray
you do stay strong. But... please don't ever think you are beyond falling
into a trap the enemy will set for you.

I pray the Lord helps you stay strong and it is so true when you have
seen the damage alcoholism does, it will help keep your defenses up.
God bless you and I am happy you feel the way you do.... Hang on to
Jesus and you will have the victory you desire.

W

Wingless

Thank ya ma'am, God bless ^_^