False teachings of the catholic church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 5, 2012
Hello, I have heard so many ridiculous accusations against the church, I invite you to listen to some of the more common accusations being defended. Take the time to listen and tell me what do you think.

link > Apologetics - Free Audio Downloads

Here you will find talks on:

Apostolic Authority and the Pope
Baptist Minister becomes Priest [a conversion story]
Catholics and the bible
Debate: Sola fide (are we saved by faith alone)
Infant baptism and Original Sin
Mary and the Bible; plus purgatory
Once Saved Always Saved?
One Church
Sola Fide - Salvation by faith alone?
Sola Scripture - The bible alone?
The Rapture and the bible
Which came first, the church or the bible.

And many more.

Listen and scrutinize the speaker's speech.

R

rauleetoe

As far as Mary, believe me when i say that it is not that we protestants hate her..we just know she is not our savior. Yes she had her calling,her 'ministry' i guess you can say it. But she did not die for me,or you. Having said that, i wanted to reiterate that,because i have heard some catholics believe and say that the protestants hate Mary..which is simply untrue(for the most part, I have yet to meet a christian who truly hates her)

One thing I have against the Catholic church(several actually but this tops it I think),and you should know Rock that i am not here to bash catholics..I was reading in deuteronomy..I believe in chapter 4,where it says to not become so corrupt as to make a graven image,of man,or of God,or of bird,or fish in the sea..or anything here on earth or cellestial. Yet, this is what many catholics do, why I know this is I was raised in a Roman Catholic household.
Also, I do believe that there is not a real emphasis for Catholics to truly study the Bible, it is not really encouraged. I say this too from being involved in a 'youth group' years ago as a teen in the Catholic church and having remembered being looked down upon for having questions regarding things. Years later as a protestant I was encouraged to go to a 'catholic bible study' which I was the only one who brought their own bible..everyone else picked up the same paperback Catholic bible issued them(I brought my Living Bible i recall) And when i asked the priest about certain things regarding theology everyone was very upset about me for 'challenging the priest' and I was very much chastized after 'fellowship' regarding my having the 'nerve' to go into another man's house and ask him what he believes.
I do believe it is possible for a catholic to be saved,as I also believe many protestants do not walk with God as they think they do or simply appeal to only grace,and believe repentance is irrelevant. Saying all this, I do want to encourage you to realize that its not about church membership or identity. You have to walk with God. Many will hold onto their protestant,or catholic,or whatever other heritage and be in for a big surprise on that day, because they never knew God truly.

That's some scary stuff.

I hope you can hear what i say, and while I pretty much disagree with what many protestants here are for..And I hope you know that unlike others here, I have no reason to bash you,or nothing to prove. Simply seek the scriptures,and think as to what it means to be a Christian.(Labels removed)

Dec 5, 2012
As far as Mary, believe me when i say that it is not that we protestants hate her..we just know she is not our savior. Yes she had her calling,her 'ministry' i guess you can say it. But she did not die for me,or you. Having said that, i wanted to reiterate that,because i have heard some catholics believe and say that the protestants hate Mary..which is simply untrue(for the most part, I have yet to meet a christian who truly hates her)

One thing I have against the Catholic church(several actually but this tops it I think),and you should know Rock that i am not here to bash catholics..I was reading in deuteronomy..I believe in chapter 4,where it says to not become so corrupt as to make a graven image,of man,or of God,or of bird,or fish in the sea..or anything here on earth or cellestial. Yet, this is what many catholics do, why I know this is I was raised in a Roman Catholic household.
Also, I do believe that there is not a real emphasis for Catholics to truly study the Bible, it is not really encouraged. I say this too from being involved in a 'youth group' years ago as a teen in the Catholic church and having remembered being looked down upon for having questions regarding things. Years later as a protestant I was encouraged to go to a 'catholic bible study' which I was the only one who brought their own bible..everyone else picked up the same paperback Catholic bible issued them(I brought my Living Bible i recall) And when i asked the priest about certain things regarding theology everyone was very upset about me for 'challenging the priest' and I was very much chastized after 'fellowship' regarding my having the 'nerve' to go into another man's house and ask him what he believes.
I do believe it is possible for a catholic to be saved,as I also believe many protestants do not walk with God as they think they do or simply appeal to only grace,and believe repentance is irrelevant. Saying all this, I do want to encourage you to realize that its not about church membership or identity. You have to walk with God. Many will hold onto their protestant,or catholic,or whatever other heritage and be in for a big surprise on that day, because they never knew God truly.

That's some scary stuff.

I hope you can hear what i say, and while I pretty much disagree with what many protestants here are for..And I hope you know that unlike others here, I have no reason to bash you,or nothing to prove. Simply seek the scriptures,and think as to what it means to be a Christian.(Labels removed)
Oh indeed this is a very good topic, and we can discus this using only the bible. Unfortunately my username has a glitch on live chat and I can not enter for the moment. We can discus it here if you like. Is there any bible in particular that you would like me to use. I do find the original KJV to be a bit hard for me because english is not my first language, but the New KJV I can do. Are you interested?

Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, if you asked me I'd say my objections are pretty much the same as Ruals. Imagery, prayer to saints\Mary, papal infallibility. Still you know I'm not going to stand and make false accusations, and I'm not against the Catholic church (at least not any more than I am against problems in every church) I'll be happy to stand with you on Judgment day and walk into His kingdom at your side.

I don't think it was for people like me and Raul that this thread was made though. I've seen many things on here that are just plain slurs and anti-catholic diatribe. Some of it is because they don't know better, and some it is is seated in long standing prejudice, but it isn't right either way.

Dec 5, 2012
Yeah, if you asked me I'd say my objections are pretty much the same as Ruals. Imagery, prayer to saints\Mary, papal infallibility. Still you know I'm not going to stand and make false accusations, and I'm not against the Catholic church (at least not any more than I am against problems in every church) I'll be happy to stand with you on Judgment day and walk into His kingdom at your side.

I don't think it was for people like me and Raul that this thread was made though. I've seen many things on here that are just plain slurs and anti-catholic diatribe. Some of it is because they don't know better, and some it is is seated in long standing prejudice, but it isn't right either way.
Thank you for those kind words of a true christian. If we disagree there is no use in arguing but we can discus with ought causing harm to our hearts. I do recommend u pick a subject and listen to this guy, he was a bible only christian convert if I am not mistaken, so he can possibly explain it in a way you may understand.I'd be happy to discus this first subject of idol worship miss interpretation. I can use what ever bible you'd like.

Dec 5, 2012
Exodus 20:4 Slow it down a bit. What does verse 4 say?

Do not make for Yourself a carved Image. But a carved image of What?

Any image in likeness of Anything. In likeness of what? Anything, Human animal. And in todays society pictures are images, movies are images.

Now this images like today's pictures can not be of the heaven, earth or under the earth.

After we are told not to copy an image of anything it says you shall not bow down and serve them. How many people worship money a carved image that holds a small value os real gold. How many worship football teams, and have their logos every were?

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

Remember slow down and read what it really say. I will continue soon.

T

Tintin

Yes, we can make idols of anything but I don't bow down and serve pictures and movies, no matter how awesome they are. You need to read the verses in context to get their full meaning.

Dec 5, 2012
Now read what the Lord said to do and what became of it. He clearly told mosses to make an serpent why? Why would God tell Moses to make a serpent if faith is all that we need. To hear a statue makes miracles? The statue that has powers? But then What happened much latter in time? People named the statue and worship it. They called the snake Nehushtan. They made offerings to the Snake, not to God. The snake had more value to them than God. They made it an Idol. So what did god do? Destroy it of course.

Numbers 21:8 A
nd the Lord said to Moses, “Make a poisonous
serpent, and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten shall look at it and live.”
2 Kings 18:4 He removed the high places, broke down the pillars, and cut down the sacred pole.He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the people of Israel had made offerings to it; it was called Nehushtan.

Dec 5, 2012
The second commandment means we shall not make an idol of ANYTHING. Which has always been the church teaching.

That statues can have power given by God to perform miracles. He proves to us His existence trough miracles to us.

The moment we make ANYTHING more than God we made an idol and need to destroy that idol.

Now lets get to the bowing. Oriental people customs are to bow out of reverence for the other person. Does this bow mean they worship the other person and made it their God? no.

When people battle at Karate they bow to each other, do they just make the other person a God? no.

Just with this two examples you can see that a person can bow and not mean they worship the other. The same goes for this statues we do not make them a God, we respect the icon. This is a clear teaching of the catholic church. You need to prove with ought a shadow of doubt that the true intentions of a persons heart is to worship a statue. But if they tell you they do not worship the statue why insist on what your heart believed. Is it not God the one who really knows our hearts?

But now lets go back in time to a few hundreds maybe thousand or more years. Many people were illiterate, only but a few could read. Bibles where hand written and the cost of a bible was very high. With such high illiteracy and people trying to steal the bibles to make good money, what did the people do? They made images of passages and remembered what they heard when the bible was read. So people who could not read would see an image of the blessed virgin in a manger and St. Joseph they did not idolized the image, they rejoiced that they knew the truth of the both of our King.

Today we have many pictures and movies all around us, if we really take seriously what God said about images, we need to do some serious burning in our houses.

And if we are to take the bible literally then we need to rip out our eyes, or cut our arms or legs. If you can take some parts of the bible not as literally why do you focus so hard on this one that talks about all images in Heaven, on the earth and under the earth.

Mar 21, 2011
I know this thread is about bashing Catholics, but there are a lot of protestant and evangelical churches that teach false teachings. A lot of them.

I went to a Greek orthodox funeral the other day and quite frankly it was terrible. They probably mentioned the deceased in 3 sentences. The rest of the time they were singing in Greek and kissing the altar.

But personally I think American protestants hate the Catholics the most because they are jealous of the money and power. I'm sure the evangelical mega churches would love to have the wealth of the vatican.

When do we stop denouncing everyone as heretics and when do we start bringing people to the lord? We do we start doing the Lord's work instead of pointing out all the specs of sawdust in other people's eyes?

Oct 31, 2011
I thought we were told not to judge others. We can judge acts for if they are in line with God's ways, but not people. I am going to a church that I agree with most, and I think they are mistaken in some things they believe about God. My pastor and I have decided that we understand God differently and we will let it go at that. What we each look for in the other is understanding that Christ died for us. Both of us also look to see if the other has love for others. God says it is through love that we can know who is our brothers and sisters in Christ. The Catholic people I know pass these two tests of a Christian.

Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for those kind words of a true christian. If we disagree there is no use in arguing but we can discus with ought causing harm to our hearts. I do recommend u pick a subject and listen to this guy, he was a bible only christian convert if I am not mistaken, so he can possibly explain it in a way you may understand.I'd be happy to discus this first subject of idol worship miss interpretation. I can use what ever bible you'd like.
I'd be interested to see how this conversation progress, but my dog in that fight isn't anti-catholic imagery specifically. I'm actually slightly against any images of Christ on the grounds the early church on the grounds the early church didn't use them and what we have now is an artists conception of him. I suppose I'm double-minded on this as I have a soft spot for art, but I don't care for pictures of Jesus as we idealize him hanging around everywhere. And that problem applies across denominational boarders.

I mentioned the grounds for my disagreement for papal infallibility. I don't think the earlier popes would even have liked that edict.

Dec 5, 2012
I'd be interested to see how this conversation progress, but my dog in that fight isn't anti-catholic imagery specifically. I'm actually slightly against any images of Christ on the grounds the early church on the grounds the early church didn't use them and what we have now is an artists conception of him. I suppose I'm double-minded on this as I have a soft spot for art, but I don't care for pictures of Jesus as we idealize him hanging around everywhere. And that problem applies across denominational boarders.

I mentioned the grounds for my disagreement for papal infallibility. I don't think the earlier popes would even have liked that edict.
Brother as Redtent said, is all bout love. We can see things different, and discuss them. But even faith an no love is dead. I may not be able to answer all the questions but I am learning more and more each day as I have to discuss my faith. I gave a sort of water down version of praying with statues but it is not everyones cup of tee, that is fine. But to say I make them idols is giving false witness.

Jan 11, 2013
That's more than fair.