Family advice sought.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

needujesus

We have a very broken family. with several of our children having not spoken to their father in years. They all get along well with each other and with me. My husband very much wants to reconcile with them, and has wanted to for years.

Anyway the kids will all be in town and want to hold a family reunion and wand myself and Gramma to come to, but the daughter hosting the reunion and 2 other children, specifically do not want their father to come. How should I handle this???????

O

overcomer2

Ouch, I'm not sure. That is a tuffy. Could you let them know that he will not come to the reunion but would they have a small one for just an hour or so at a somewhere to eat or something where he can participate and any of the children that would like to come can go. He may not be able to win them all over at one time. This allows them to make a choice. I think you should go to the reunion. You obviously have taken care of your relationship with them. I tell my children that we have to nurture our relationships with each other because they can die.

Hope someone steps up and wants to mend fences.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I have to ask you to think - why do they hate their father? Did he abuse them, or you? Is he still doing it?

If not, then I think you need to gently ask your children to do YOU a favor, and let your husband come. They can still consider him to be "not their father." But you want your husband there, and that is the least they can do for you.

I'm sorry your family is so broken. Never give up praying for your children and husband to reconcile. With God, all things are possible.

B

brokenclay

Greetings to you Sister. There is so much sadness in our world. It seems years have went by letting this unreconciled hurt to stay in the hearts of your adult children. Since they were how young? Had the offense been dealt with long ago there would have been many happy family reunions. But God is good. What is impossible for man is possible with God. That's why he is called; Wonderful Counsellor and Mighty God. I noticed you are on here seeking advice on behalf of your husband. He needs to be seeking God's guidance and wisdom. It's not easy saying sorry; but God deserves the glory. We are but instruments of His peace. I will pray for your husband to have courage to face his convictions. He will have to shed some tears and ask for mercy from above. Then confront each child and let them vent and get it out. Then when they're done; they will be relieved; and possibly re-consider their feelings for their own dad. Jesus said; A broken and contrite heart I will in no wise turn away. A bruised reed I will not break. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. I should be sharing this with your husband. Praying for reconcilation and closure in this matter. May God be glorified. In Christ Larry

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe they would let him come for like the last hour or so? The only thing you can do is to suggest it and not try to force it. And pray for the Holy Spirit to soften the daughter's heart. She may just need some more healing time...and if the father is sincere, he will understand this.