Family hurts...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Justifiedgirl

I was an atheist,raised by atheist my whole life ...my mom,dad,and siblings are all atheist ....me and my grandfather are the only ones that aren't athiest now. About a year ago i began to attend church with my grandfather who had been pushing me to attend every day he came to my house....i accepted jesus as my lord and savior this year on easter. I love attending church and im even a part of the group thaf sings every sunday
I worship with my voice and dance and i love it but its hard to read the bible and worship or even speak freely in my house
My family allwas makes fun of me
They constantly insult me and if they dont then they silently glare at me
They sometimes talk of things that even cause me to doubt
without trying to fight it .
...to trust in what you cant see or even prove...to pledge my life for a death that isn't even guaranteed....they dont understand but its amazing to have a god that you can just place all your problems in....to have a god you can trust ....its also difficult not to listen to them
My parents really hurt me when they look at me in disgust and they speak of me like im a idiot
My sister even went as far as to throw away 2 of my bibles allong with hitting me when i started singing in my room ...i dont know what to do

I love my family but they are so painful to be with when they cant accept the love that i am receiving from our lord

(I know this was a messy blurb of information but can anyone offer help? Advice? )

B

BarlyGurl

I am sorry, at 14 you do not have many options. Is it possible you can go to live with your grandfather?

Jun 23, 2015
Living with your gramppa seems a rational answer to your post.

But I do have a few ?? If you surrendered to Christ and you know for a fact that you are born again in Christ,why did you check the "unsure" status?
What does your conversion look like?
What happened? Did you see your sin through your brokenness and was your heart contrite? Has your mind and heart changed considering sinning?
I am just trying to understand. Why are you unsure?

J

Justifiedgirl

I am 16 and no because he was a druggie up until 3 years ago nobody will agree to me living with him

J

Justifiedgirl

I checked unsure because i still feel doubt at times
When i am alone in my room and i think of my past and all the things i went through...when i contemplate my philosophy books...when i listen to my family ...i just doubt everything that i feel
I know that i love this new chapter in my life but i am unsure that i can continue at times ...something is always in the back of my mind that makes me want to retreat at moments

Jun 23, 2015
Can you please humor me and answer all the questions I asked? You dont have to but I do have reason to my means.

Blessings

Jun 23, 2015
I am 16 and no because he was a druggie up until 3 years ago nobody will agree to me living with him
That was 3 yrs ago. People do change dramatically when they come to Christ. Have you already asked them? There is also the route to separate from your family through the courts. There are options.

J

Justifiedgirl

Yes i asked and i dont think i would actually enjoy leaving my family even if they do hurt me
I specifically cant leave my baby sister she is 7 and she attends church with me ...

Jun 23, 2015
Just focus on Jesus to lead you through hard times. Trust Christ alone. RENEW your mind by reading the bible every single day and praying unceasingly9 talking to the Father about literally everything all throughout the day) . Focus on the gospel and Psalms and proverbs for now. Its important to memorize and study. Since you do not want to leave;you have to learn to live with the adversary ie the god of this world whom is controlling your family. It will not be easy but Christ said that you can do all things through HIM that strengthens you . ...Greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world.

Join the teens group. They meet during the week. Join the choir or whatever else. Just get very involved with the church and make lots of friends who are walking with Christ. You need a support group.
What church do you attend?

J

Justifiedgirl

I dont know in english because it isnt my first language but if you can google translate its :
el shaddai iglesia alianza cristiana y misionera

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013

Its normal to catch a little slack from your new faith, but don't let it bother you. Being ridiculed by family is nothing compared to what Jesus and the apostles endured for us, so count it a blessing. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me" (Matthew 5:11)
. Consider an unbelievers ultimate destination.. They deserve your sympathy and pity, not anger. Be an example for your little sister, she doesn't know anything and is probably just replicating her parents, but I suspect she'll always remember that you believed in something beyond yourself. And tell your parents that if what you believe is wrong or false, what's the difference? Then ask them how they'll be sitting if everything you believe turns out to be true? Show them strength, not weakness. They should be thrilled that you've chosen to pursue a wholesome life and aren't indulging in things that get teenagers in trouble.

F

FriendlyGuitarist

Just keep showing them love, and pray for them daily :)

A

atwhatcost

You're 16 and family is family. Too young to leave, particularly if they don't want you to leave. Still stuff you can do with or without their permission.

1. If they're throwing away your Bibles, leave your Bibles at your grandfather's house, and ask him to bring it for you to church. This is the 21st century. You can have God's word without it being a book. Check out e-Sword.net, and download it onto your computer or cell-phone. Your sister won't throw that away, and no one has to know when you're reading it. (That and there are Bible Aids to help you study the Bible.)

2. If at all possible, see if you can spend time at your grandfather's house for the rest of Church Day. You get some time with a fellow Christian and family, giving you true Sabbath rest before going back to face your family.

3. Don't sing and dance when family can hear you. Neither is a requirement for knowing and enjoying God. (This doesn't mean you can't do it. This just means if it causes that much contention, wait until it won't.)

4. You're going to change, but it will be to the good. Don't bring up the subject of God to your family. Obviously, they don't like it. BUT, if they bring it up, feel free to answer questions and say whatever you want to say. If they have problems with it, then simply tell them, "You brought it up. What do you want?"

5. Realize you're 16. Two years from now, you will be old enough to make your decisions. You'll be surprised how quickly that happens. I know. I was saved right around my 16th birthday. I had a few things happen between that time and hitting 18, plus I was my younger brother's godmother. One of the things that happened was Mom died right after I was saved, so I had to go back to live with Dad to take care of my younger brother.
He was 5. All that I went through and I only got input into my younger brother's life for two years. So, yes, I get you want to help your little sister, but even there, you'll be surprise how little time you have, until you're out on your own.

I really remember it was a big deal being 16 and fairly mum about what was changing in me, but it is doable. More important, they are your family for the rest of your life. You've got to love them even if they aren't so loving to you. Don't run. Figure out how to deal with them through Christ.

And, yes, you're saved. It's not what you do. It's what Jesus did. There is no question there. It's not like God didn't know something about you, and had he, he would have never picked you. He picked you because he is loving, long-suffering, merciful and gracious, not that you have "qualities." So, yeah, you're saved. The hard part is getting sanctified -- figuring out what he wants you to do and counting on his help to do it. That's the hard part. That's the part that keeps on going for the rest of your life, so start figuring out how he wants you to love your family, because, no. He doesn't give easy. He gives hard so we know we need him to do the hard.