Family rules

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It must be fun to play God I reckon.
Make up rules and stuff.
Answer prayers.
Control everything.
Have little people obey you without question...

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
It must be fun to play God I reckon.
Make up rules and stuff.
Answer prayers.
Control everything.
Have little people obey you without question...
Without question? God's people are notorious for asking questions.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Without question? God's people are notorious for asking questions.
Oh but you meant to obey Him first

Thats faith right.

When people play God and their little people ask silly questions, playGod gets mighty angry. PlayGod also doesn't like it when you ask him who died and made you God? You aren't supposed to backchat playGod.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The little people then run away for fear of punishment from this angry playGod.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Oh but you meant to obey Him first

Thats faith right.

When people play God and their little people ask silly questions, playGod gets mighty angry. PlayGod also doesn't like it when you ask him who died and made you God? You aren't supposed to backchat playGod.
I'm talking about real God, so I must have misunderstood your point
There actually is no PlayGod. Fathers are servant leaders like Christ. We aren't in charge. Fatherhood is stewardship.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm talking about real God, so I must have misunderstood your point
There actually is no PlayGod. Fathers are servant leaders like Christ. We aren't in charge. Fatherhood is stewardship.
A lot of them aren't.
I don't really know any. Even pastors can be tyrants and lose their tempers. Most children I know are afraid of their dads cos they know they'll get a beating or thrown out if they act out of line and are never sure what the line is..it changes all the time. Most children have to navigate around their dads and not get them in a bad mood.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
A lot of them aren't.
I don't really know any. Even pastors can be tyrants and lose their tempers. Most children I know are afraid of their dads cos they know they'll get a beating or thrown out if they act out of line and are never sure what the line is..it changes all the time. Most children have to navigate around their dads and not get them in a bad mood.
To be sure there is a fall off between ideal and real. This might surprise you, but I fail at being a good father alot. I was just saying that all positions of authority are about stewardship except God's.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
To be sure there is a fall off between ideal and real. This might surprise you, but I fail at being a good father alot. I was just saying that all positions of authority are about stewardship except God's.
True

Though a lot of people don't really know what a steward is.

Also people higher up don't want anyone else helping them be a steward. Its my way or the highway. If you can't agree on things it's very difficult and some people either can't change their minds or won't or already have their minds made up. If you are the one making the rules you the one that can change them to whatever you want, but if you are not you can't is what I've observed.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Thats a rule? Everywhere I go its always down, unless you are meaning the lid that goes on top of the seat. Nobody likes to sit on the rim.
Sorry, got it screwed up, supposed to be down, of course. For the record, I am usually in compliance in putting the lid down.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry, got it screwed up, supposed to be down, of course. For the record, I am usually in compliance in putting the lid down.
Some families put their rules on the toilet door which seems to be the place to put them.

I remember one family I visited had 'Be a sweetie and wipe the seatie'
Others say 'if its brown, flush it down'

One place said you werent allowed to use their composting toilet if you were on any medication.

At the public library, we used to have keys and gave them out only if people asked.

At school, the rules was only two at a time at the most. They had a hand sign if they wanted to go toilet, but I wouldnt let the whole class go.

some people are up in arms about having separate toilets for male and female, but if you have to go and theres only one toilet you not going to be fussed.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Do you have rules in your family
If so what are they, and what happens if you break those rules
Does everyone know what they are and who enforces them...are they written down anywhere?
We have tons of rules... but only 5 on the fridge. 1. Be kind 2. Listen 3. Work hard 4. Control my voice 5. Control my body

All the rules stem from them, but my kids are little. Consequences for toddler are time out, early bed, or spanking. Depends on the situation. Consequences for my older one in school is take away tv & video games, early bed, extra chores, go to room. (I use "time out" as a cool down. I don't agree with isolation. They can return when they are done acting out.) I teach them how they are suppose to act, so if they get consequences, they have already been told or warned. Works for school age kid, not so much toddler. 😆

Most "rules" are habits. Buckle carseat, pray before eating, no screens during dinner (including restaurants), etc. They just automatically do them, even my toddler... within reason. They get candy once a week after church if they are good. I keep consequences minimal as it will backfire if kids are always getting in trouble. Consequences don't actually teach anything... unless it's a clean up situation. They will just shut down and get angry. And punishing for lying just teaches them to get better at it. Yet they still need consequences. Smh it's tough being a parent.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I've often wondered why parents want their children to go to their room if they broke a rule. What does that accomplish. I think some children would love to have a room all to themselves.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Routines I found work better than memorising a bunch of rules. And having grace.

I guess its different at school than at home. Mostly its about getting along with your family esp siblings that tend to fight each other. So Be kind is something everyone needs to work on because not everyone is kind. If the parents demonstrate kindness and love to each other then children will follow but if they argue, fuss and fight children learn thats how they treat others I guess.

Dec 7, 2023
UK
how many siblings did you have and was it the same rules for everyone. How many tvs and phones did you have.

Did you each have a musical instrument? Did you share rooms?
I have three siblings, but one was born 16 years after I was, so she was a baby/toddler when the rest of us were in high school/college/university. Same rules for the older three. My baby sister got a lot with a lot more since my parents were older then. LOL! We had two TVs and two (house) phones. This predated cell/mobile phones. Yes, we each had a musical instrument(s). One of my brothers played drums. One played guitar. I played piano and French horn. We never jammed together. :D My brothers shared a room. I shared a room with my sister when she was born until I left for university, two years later.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have three siblings, but one was born 16 years after I was, so she was a baby/toddler when the rest of us were in high school/college/university. Same rules for the older three. My baby sister got a lot with a lot more since my parents were older then. LOL! We had two TVs and two (house) phones. This predated cell/mobile phones. Yes, we each had a musical instrument(s). One of my brothers played drums. One played guitar. I played piano and French horn. We never jammed together. :D My brothers shared a room. I shared a room with my sister when she was born until I left for university, two years later.
to me it seems like the eldest is generally the bossiest and one most likely to enforce rules when the parents arent around, or even make up their own, and the youngest or baby of the family the one most likely to get away with anything and by that time parents are too tired to bother lol

Dec 7, 2023
UK
I'm the oldest but definitely wasn't the bossiest! One of my brothers is only 10.5 months younger than I am, and the other is 2 years younger than me. It was the younger brother who was the bossiest (and still is)! :D

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I'm the oldest but definitely wasn't the bossiest! One of my brothers is only 10.5 months younger than I am, and the other is 2 years younger than me. It was the younger brother who was the bossiest (and still is)! :D
what like boss baby? lol
Do people who are bossy, actually know they are being bossy?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I wonder how early bed works.
I mean how early are you talking. Being in bed doesnt necessarily mean you sleeping and cant strap them in, plus, it wouldnt be punishment if child likes reading books in bed.

as for taking away video games, they so annoying one parent I talked to drove over them with her car. The dad bought the video game for the child but he got too obssessed with it so the mum put it in the driveway and backed over it. She also chucked away the tv.

Ive seen some parents give their child a toy as a birthday present and then they spend all their time playing it and annoying their grandparent cos its so noisy..parent tells their child NOT to do something and they cant hear cos too busy playing with toy.