Fasting questions, need answers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
So i heard of fasting to lose weight, i hear ppl do the water fast, or juice fast for that sometimes but the one i am interested in is the spiritual fast. I read online how ppl hear god more clearly, how miracles can happen due to fasting, how god apparently opens his ears more to those fasting for him. even one said the gate of heaven opens. Now i tried this fasting before for about three days, i don't even know if i did it right or how i did it because i don't remember. Fasting like the water fast sounds interesting, but i am having a hard time believing fasting can really do such things. Is fasting really an amazing way to connect with god?

D

dashadow

With me, fasting helps suppress my emotions, thereby allowing me to sense more of God's presence and guidance in my life. My wife says she gets ill if she misses meals. And I suppose that's true for many people. Personally, I think she just loves to eat too much. Just kidding. :)

Anyway, fasting does wonders in my life, especially when I get to feeling anxious about something. But I look at fasting as not only staying away from food, I think it can mean staying away from certain activities or something else as well.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Matthew 26

[SUP]40 [/SUP]And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
[SUP]41 [/SUP]Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
If you decide to fast then you will be saying no to the flesh that wants to eat.

The Messiah was tempted after a forty day fast:

Matthew 4

4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
[SUP]4 [/SUP]But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
If you are being called to fast remember it is between you and Heavenly Father.

T

TheMachine

So i heard of fasting to lose weight, i hear ppl do the water fast, or juice fast for that sometimes but the one i am interested in is the spiritual fast. I read online how ppl hear god more clearly, how miracles can happen due to fasting, how god apparently opens his ears more to those fasting for him. even one said the gate of heaven opens. Now i tried this fasting before for about three days, i don't even know if i did it right or how i did it because i don't remember. Fasting like the water fast sounds interesting, but i am having a hard time believing fasting can really do such things. Is fasting really an amazing way to connect with god?

Fasting is an action by you for God. It forces a need for prayer, which really in todays society we find ourselves relying on ourselves more than God far too often. With every thought of hunger you pray, with every thought of lacking you pray for Spiritual growth. You can fast using juice only diets,water only and I know some folks who fast from coffee and desserts......anything they feel overly attached to. I did the juice fast for 3 days and found it a great benefit to my health mentally,physically and spiritually. Think of it as a total cleanse, a way to open yourself to real reliance on God. Our actions don't force God to move, they move us towards God. Just my thoughts on it, I hope it goes well for you....

The Machine

You either like bacon or you're wrong......Ron Swanson

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
There is only the spiritual fast.
Let me explain. The supposed fasting to loose weight, etc. Is not regarded by God as fasting. You will often hear people complain about there hunger when "fasting" in this way. Let me give you a scripture...
Mat 4:2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Luk 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
When one fast... one should first try and fast because of obedience. Second one should tune one's nature to the nature of God. Being giving, loving, caring, forgiving, mercifull. As one fast progress this would become increasingly easier as one breaks away from the fleshly desires and long for the spiritual. One receives food spiritually and therefore do not hunger.

C

crosspreacher

Yes. But it should be will all your heart not like the hypocrites. God see your the good desire of your heart and bless you.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Wow Fasting sounds like a great way connect to god:] But what if you fast but you do not know why you are fastin, you just feel somewhat called to do so? And what if we worry a lot of fasting for the wrong reasons? I mean if i am going to fast i want to#1 be doing for god not my own selfish wanting's#2 for it to be for the right reasons,# for it to be something i do not just for answered prayer but for it to be something i do to show god my thanks, or to connect to him in a wonderful way. #4 for it to really humble myself to god and his will.

S

SpaceCowboy

If your doing it to get closer to God, honestly and truly, He'll know it and bless you for it. But you can't look at fasting as a quick ticket to spiritual goodies. It's meant to chasten to the soul and spirit. To build self-discipline. Just keep seeking God and being completely honest with Him about your situation and he'll open your eyes to a lot of things. Including the reason for your fasting. """ Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. """ Godbless

N

Nancyer

In years past I've given up sodas for Lent, a kind of fasting. I've thought about fasting for real, not sure how I'd do. How long a time period are we talking about? I'd like my son and I both to do it (he's 18) but he'd never make it past lunch time. thank you for the post, for getting me to think about this further.

CS1

May 23, 2012
In years past I've given up sodas for Lent, a kind of fasting. I've thought about fasting for real, not sure how I'd do. How long a time period are we talking about? I'd like my son and I both to do it (he's 18) but he'd never make it past lunch time. thank you for the post, for getting me to think about this further.

Fasting has to go along with Prayer. So why fast? one who fast should be seeking a answer to a specific need. Victory over something, to grasp a biblical principal. The best way to know how to fast is look at what Jesus did in fasting and what the bible says about fasting. Fasting should be done between you and God. unless it is a corporate fast whole church etc. But remember Fasting without prayer is no good.Matt 6:16 Matt 17:21

P

Powemm

Fasting can be done in
A number of ways ... It's all about the relationship.. give up something and let god replace it..
Example
Replace an hour of talking on the phone and spend that hour talking to God
instead of spending an hour watching Tv , spend and hour reading about the full
Armor of God and what each part is for .. It's
All
About reconnecting with Him... Fasting can occur in a number of
Ways ...

T

TheMachine

There is only the spiritual fast.
Let me explain. The supposed fasting to loose weight, etc. Is not regarded by God as fasting. You will often hear people complain about there hunger when "fasting" in this way. Let me give you a scripture...
Mat 4:2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
Luk 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
When one fast... one should first try and fast because of obedience. Second one should tune one's nature to the nature of God. Being giving, loving, caring, forgiving, mercifull. As one fast progress this would become increasingly easier as one breaks away from the fleshly desires and long for the spiritual. One receives food spiritually and therefore do not hunger.

1) Are you saying that people can only fast spiritually?
2) Are you saying that someone who fasts spiritually cannot benefit physically or mentally or emotionally?
3) Are you saying that the longer you go without food the easier it is to go without food? Scientifically this is true for us humans, after 5 days your appetite diminishes, and scientifically it returns at around the 40th day. After 40 days I'm sure that hunger returns with a fury.*I wonder is that to show us Jesus humanity?Satans timing, a hit Him when He would be most inflicted by the flesh?* Just a thought or two on the topic.
4) David fasted from desserts, can you not do the same for the Lord?

Just some questions I have. I've never met an expert on fasting and wanted to know where you were coming from. I firmly believe that the only way to the Father is through the Son, and I believe that journey is as unique per each believer as each believer is unique.

The Machine

Oh, wait, wait, wait, wait. 18th-century agrarian business, but I guess it’s all the same principles. Let me ask you, are you at all concerned about an uprising?.....Buster Bluth

D

Dh350twin

Very interesting info above^^^^

B

Broern

Fasting is in the Bible but it is understood in the wrong way. It is not used to forced God to do something requested by those who fast. FAITH IN GOD's WORD is the tool needed for miracle of God, to receive the promises of God and the prayer request of the believer. Fasting is a tool to discipline the flesh (Intellect & Emotion) of man. Food is the number one cravings of man. If a man have spiritual discipline and can control appetite, there is no need for biblical fast and surely he/she have the faith to receive from God.
Sometimes fasting, just like speaking in tongues are used by hypocrite to show others they are CHRISTIAN but not CHRISTLIKE. Fasting and speaking in tongues are both done secretly by Christlike believers and only seen by God.
Fasting have spiritual and physical benefits for man.

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
1) Are you saying that people can only fast spiritually?
Let me be clear. One can exclaim to the world you are fasting. And everyone would see it. But according the Bible:

Isa 58:3 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
Isa 58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
Isa 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

As you see... verse 6 explains the reason to fasting very clearly. It also explain in the previous verses where people fasted and God did not adhere to them. For they try to use fast as a manipulation. To turn God's arm to receive things.

God will never allow this.
The fast is to grow spiritually and to destroy evil in one's life. To grow in faith.

Mat 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Mat 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Here again it was needed to fast to have the faith to cast out a demon.
Therefore it is important that one fast out of obedience and for the things of the Spirit. For that is the reason why one stays without food. To cleanse one self from the fleshly desires so the spriritual can grow.

2) Are you saying that someone who fasts spiritually cannot benefit physically or mentally or emotionally?
All benefits which you should be focussing on should be that of establishing a better connection and relationship between you and God. Will it affect you physically, mentally and emotionally. Yes to all of them. But your focus should not be to gain there. But to gain with God.

3) Are you saying that the longer you go without food the easier it is to go without food? Scientifically this is true for us humans, after 5 days your appetite diminishes, and scientifically it returns at around the 40th day. After 40 days I'm sure that hunger returns with a fury.*I wonder is that to show us Jesus humanity?Satans timing, a hit Him when He would be most inflicted by the flesh?* Just a thought or two on the topic.
It is interesting that scientist happen to prove the grace of God. But from the first day already you will start to have very little appetite and on the second none. For your focus is on the grace and obedience of God. And if done in obedience then the grace of God would be apparant. However Jesus could have gone 60 days if it needed be, however for the sake of the value of 40 and the meaning behind it, he simply did 40 days.

4) David fasted from desserts, can you not do the same for the Lord?
The act of one's fast is dependant on the instruction of the Lord God. That is why I said it is an act of obedience. One cannot obey if one did not first listen to an instruction. But fasting doesn't come from your own desires, for the purpose behind fasting is to negate desires. So why in effect would you try to fulfill something you are trying to negate. For the purpose of fasting is to place all your desires in submission to that of God. Your entire nature and being in submission to that of the will of God.

Just some questions I have. I've never met an expert on fasting and wanted to know where you were coming from. I firmly believe that the only way to the Father is through the Son, and I believe that journey is as unique per each believer as each believer is unique.
No one is truly an expert except He who teaches all who is the Holy Spirit. But those still young and stubborn often forget that they have to heed His voice first so He can remind and teach them in the ways that Christ has layed down for us. As for being unique. We are three siblings in our house. Each one our parents treats differently. But we are all subjugated to the same rules in our house. God has rules too. He has ways of doing things correctly and incorrectly and even though He is bountifully mercifull towards us if we do things wrong, because we are weak and afraid. He still grace us with the gifts of His heart. It is still good to pray and fast correctly. For there are guidelines for prayer also, and a lot of people do not do them. But those were the guidelines given by Christ when His disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray. That doesn't mean God isn't graceful. But it does mean He has set methods.

As to your last and least important question. Where am I coming from. I come where I am send and go where I am send. I live by His grace and by His voice. I try to aid others in their believe and fulfill the desires of God for me. I plead for mercy daily and for forgiveness and pardon to the sins I did and try to loose myself from each of them to be free unto my God. By the blood of the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, I am set free. But as He was raised from the dead He also conquered death and in doing so freed me and a couple of millions of others that will call upon His name. I am a slave and a servant to the most High God. And I am happy to be that. But by His grace and His grace I am also His child. Which makes me more than joyful.

J

jonrambo

everything you do fasting prayer giving charity ect suppose to be in secret if you want treasures in heaven. but hey we are only human sometimes we let the cat out the bag. i couldnt tell what was worse lying to people about me being sick when i was fasting so they didnt know or telling people i was fasting its a catch 22

Feb 19, 2013
Yes it is!!!! There is no such thing as a strong, spiritual christian who does not fast and pray on a regular basis! Jesus said that there are certain kinds of demons that cannot be cast our of people but by prayer and fasting! so fasting gives you power to cast out every evil spirit; a power that you cannot acheive any other way! read isa 58, and Math 6 for instructions on fasting and some of the benifits of it.
Elder1