Fasting

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do you fast regularly?

• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Define regularly...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Although there are some people on here that disagree with my way of explaining it. This is how it was explained to me:

So as I'm sure you know, the Spirit and the Flesh don't Mix. The Spirit is like Water and the Flesh is like oil. The two don't mix.

So when we fast, we are depriving our flesh from something it wants (IE: food, water, junk food, certain types of food, computer use, tv, etc...)

In return this raises our Spirituality and "controls" our flesh. If you have trouble with something, or praying about something important fasting helps.

We are constantly in a state of Spiritual warfare, and fasting helps us win the battle of the enemy. To not sin, and please God.

This is how it was explained to me, and I think its a good way to explain and understand it.

God Bless.
Cool explanation and is of self efforts is it not?
[h=3]Romans 6:1-4[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? [SUP]2 [/SUP]God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? [SUP]3 [/SUP]Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
[SUP]4 [/SUP]Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

It is by Faith in the finished work of Christ at the cross for you that believe God to have done this for you, that one is saved, if you believe God in the following verses

[h=3]Colossians 1:21-23[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

[SUP]21 [/SUP]And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled [SUP]22 [/SUP]in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: [SUP]23 [/SUP]if ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Lyta137

Dec 7, 2013
Yeah its weird but when you fast, that's when you have access to, or are offered the coolest food!!! that's what you call temptation but denying my stomach such a privilege enlightens me knowing that I am giving preference to my spirits desires rather than my flesh's desires...
And that's from a food point of view...

kingerik

Sep 25, 2013
Fasting is denying yourself of the pleasure of food or water and substituting the word of God and pray to feed you spiritually. So you get hungry physically, but fed spiritually.

Fasting is just from food... Consecrating is what everything is( I mean like you know going without Tv or social media and such) giving it up so you can use that time for word and prayer. Fasting is important, it benefits us spiritually so much! You should never tell anyone you are own a fast because simply telling them is your reward.

I usually consecrate instead of Fast...I give up my social media and phone for the week to spend with God. I plan on fasting a lot more this year. Probably a six-six dry fast, no water, no food.

The worst thing about a fast is...when you are on it...the devil likes to have people buy donuts and you're sitting all alone like...:(.

G

gracisings

How many of you guy's fast?
How often? How long? What do you usually fast from?

I'm going to try to fast once a week, for 24 hours, and eat nothing, but drink lots of water!

I find also, whenever I'm fasting I see and think and hear about food a lot more than ususal!
I really enjoy fasting! I try for once a week but don't always make that. I drink lots of water and eat nothing, unless someone really thinks I have to. (Like when my baby brother sticks a goldfish in my mouth, I can't say no because he's sharing!

I don't think about food more. Whenever I'm tempted to eat something or think about food, I visualize Christ on the cross. "Take up your cross and follow ME." (memorized from have-no-idea-where.) When I think about the crucifixion, my struggles seem a lot smaller.

S

st_sebastian

I try to fast for at least two days weekly for health reasons. So I don't do it for spiritual reasons, but there are definitely spiritual implications. If nothing else, it teaches me how weak my will is. I will decide to fast for the day and then suddenly wake up having eaten half a plate.

I used to try alternate day fasting. I felt wonderful, but it was very difficult with my family, who had no interest and were not asked to participate.

L

Lexi777

There is such a thing called the Daniel fast there is certain foods that you can and cannot eat. I fast every monday but i still eat. Basically i fast from everything worldly. I pray and read my Bible and talk to God and read christian books all day and if i watch TV I only watch christian shows. I find that it helps bring me closer to God. :)