Father in Law died today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SCHISM

Aug 2, 2016
My father-in-law died today. My wife's mother and sister were both murdered when she was maybe 12, and her aunt committed suicide last year.

I haven't experienced any close loss before.

I love my wife, and I want to help her, but I am as emotional as a robot.

What should I do and say, and how?

Just to add context, her father was not Christian and often spoke against Christianity.

M

MadParrotWoman

I think you will need to be a support more than anything, be there for your wife and if she wants to talk about him then allow her to and listen to her.

Regarding her dad's spiritual status; you do not know where he is - only God knows.

Feb 7, 2015
We're not supposed to "fix things" for women.... just be there.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
My father-in-law died today. My wife's mother and sister were both murdered when she was maybe 12, and her aunt committed suicide last year.

I haven't experienced any close loss before.

I love my wife, and I want to help her, but I am as emotional as a robot.

What should I do and say, and how?

Just to add context, her father was not Christian and often spoke against Christianity.
I have said a prayer of salvation for your father-in-law. God heard this prayer before He created the universe and He will certainly answer it. Paul spoke out against Christianity too and once he saw the light he turned it around. At this moment your father-in-law is in the presence of the light of God. Pray for the Holy Spirit to give you the words to console your wife and to guide your actions to comfort her.