Favorite "underrated" Old Testament Person & why

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
I was wondering who everyone's favorite underrated Old Testament person is and why. I use the term underrated not to take away from what they've done but only to suggest they are overlooked for not being as big of a figure as say Moses or Jacob or something.

Of course the term underrated is going to be a matter of opinion, while I could think someone is underrated others may not. I am hoping to spark some interesting conversation!

I'll go first I think perhaps Gideon and Jabez are big ones in my eyes.

Jabez is basically mentioned in two verses in the old testament:

1 Chronicles 4:9-10

9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez,saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.

I think the most important part of the mention of Jabez is the very beginning and the end, He was more honorable than his brothers....and God granted his request. It really speaks on what God expects and wants of us in my opinion.

Gideon is a phenomenal story, in Judges 6:

11 The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joashthe Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. 12 When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.”
13 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.”
14 The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?”
15 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”
16 The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.”

Here is Gideon hiding while threshing wheat and an Angel appears to him saying "Lord is with you mighty warrior". I know if it were me I'd probably be thinking "umm you must not have the right guy I'm not all that mighty" you see though that he questions I'm not strong I am in a weak clan and all God tells him I am sending you I am with you go in your strength and save Israel!

Gotta love the scriptures
:D

Parody

Jun 4, 2013
I think he gets more recognition than your people but I think Johnathon is overlooked by a lot of people. I love his story about climbing the cliff and defeating the enemy with a sword and his armor bearer. There is another character! Johnathon's armor bearer!

1 Samuel 14: 6-15 (KJV)

And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the Lord will work for us: for there is no restraint to the Lord to save by many or by few.

7And his armourbearer said unto him, Do all that is in thine heart: turn thee; behold, I am with thee according to thy heart.
8Then said Jonathan, Behold, we will pass over unto these men, and we will discover ourselves unto them.
9If they say thus unto us, Tarry until we come to you; then we will stand still in our place, and will not go up unto them.
10But if they say thus, Come up unto us; then we will go up: for the Lord hath delivered them into our hand: and this shall be a sign unto us.
11And both of them discovered themselves unto the garrison of the Philistines: and the Philistines said, Behold, the Hebrews come forth out of the holes where they had hid themselves.
12And the men of the garrison answered Jonathan and his armourbearer, and said, Come up to us, and we will shew you a thing. And Jonathan said unto his armourbearer, Come up after me: for the Lord hath delivered them into the hand of Israel.
13And Jonathan climbed up upon his hands and upon his feet, and his armourbearer after him: and they fell before Jonathan; and his armourbearer slew after him.
14And that first slaughter, which Jonathan and his armourbearer made, was about twenty men, within as it were an half acre of land, which a yoke of oxen might plow.
15And there was trembling in the host, in the field, and among all the people: the garrison, and the spoilers, they also trembled, and the earth quaked: so it was a very great trembling.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
I think he gets more recognition than your people but I think Johnathon is overlooked by a lot of people. I love his story about climbing the cliff and defeating the enemy with a sword and his armor bearer. There is another character! Johnathon's armor bearer!

1 Samuel 14: 6-15 (KJV)

And Jonathan said to the young man that bare his armour, Come, and let us go over unto the garrison of these uncircumcised: it may be that the Lord will work for us: for there is no restraint to the Lord to save by many or by few.

7And his armourbearer said unto him, Do all that is in thine heart: turn thee; behold, I am with thee according to thy heart.
8Then said Jonathan, Behold, we will pass over unto these men, and we will discover ourselves unto them.
9If they say thus unto us, Tarry until we come to you; then we will stand still in our place, and will not go up unto them.
10But if they say thus, Come up unto us; then we will go up: for the Lord hath delivered them into our hand: and this shall be a sign unto us.
11And both of them discovered themselves unto the garrison of the Philistines: and the Philistines said, Behold, the Hebrews come forth out of the holes where they had hid themselves.
12And the men of the garrison answered Jonathan and his armourbearer, and said, Come up to us, and we will shew you a thing. And Jonathan said unto his armourbearer, Come up after me: for the Lord hath delivered them into the hand of Israel.
13And Jonathan climbed up upon his hands and upon his feet, and his armourbearer after him: and they fell before Jonathan; and his armourbearer slew after him.
14And that first slaughter, which Jonathan and his armourbearer made, was about twenty men, within as it were an half acre of land, which a yoke of oxen might plow.
15And there was trembling in the host, in the field, and among all the people: the garrison, and the spoilers, they also trembled, and the earth quaked: so it was a very great trembling.
Great story indeed! His faith in declaring "may the Lord work us" is not only a very bold statement, its down right unheard of! I agree he is underrated

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
how about shamgar? killed 600 dudes with an oxgoad. or in other words a stick. better than Rambo and the terminator!!

A

Ariel82

Elihu...............

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
how about shamgar? killed 600 dudes with an oxgoad. or in other words a stick. better than Rambo and the terminator!!
Shamgar? I don't recall him explains the underrated part! 600 with a stick that is impressive. Samson killed one thousand but he had a jaw of a donkey and super strength :p

Elihu is a good one as well!

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
Hananiah mishael and azariah.. more commonly known as shadraic meshaic an abedigo these men where thrown into a firey furnece for not denying God and they came out alive because God protected them an this caused nebecanezer to tell his people to worrship the true God..

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
I wish I knew how that was like...24/7.

D

danschance

I am a fan of Abigail. Abigail was a woman of high moral courage and unwavering faith in God. She is described in the bible as being beautiful and intelligent but married to Nabal, which in Hebrew means "fool". I see many women of today married to men who are fools and it always reminds me of Abigail's perseverance.

David sent men to Nabal during a time of plenty and asked for some food. David and his men had protected Nabal and nothing was ever stolen. Nabal refused his request and swear an oath to kill him before sundown. Abigail heard of how her foolish husband treated David's men and she knew this would bring calamity to her household.

She wisely ordered her servants to gather food and loaded it on donkeys. She met David on his way to kill her husband and even every male they could find. Her gift caused David to not shed blood. Later God killed Nabal and as soon as David heard this, he sent a message to Abigail asking her to marry him. She agreed and later lived as a queen in David's palace.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
I wish I knew how that was like...24/7.
Don't we all! I believe it's possible Crossnote. God hasn't changed He's still that same God. It's all about how we approach it how did Enoch live that meant he walked so closely with God? How can we walk so that we do the same? I know many suggest that its alot harder to follow God these days because there are alot more temptations and ways to fall. While I agree with that statement, I also see the other side where people back then did not have all the positive resources available to them as we do now so while ways to sin has abounded ways to avoid it ways to remain strong in faith and grace have super abounded!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
I think Jael deserves some recognition for her smart move in killing Sisera. God used her to deliver the children of Israel after twenty years of oppression in the hand of King Jabin (Judges 4). Evidently, her faith triumphed over fears.