Feeling cheerful, hopeful, optimistic and strong

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind...Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began (2 Timothy 1:7,9)

If we believe what Paul said above, then there should be no reason for us not to say to ourselves: “I do not have the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind, because God has saved me, and called me by His grace according to His own purpose.” Which should then result in feeling cheerful, hopeful, optimistic, and strong.

If Christians are not careful, they can easily succumb to the negativity that surrounds them. Particularly at this time, when the forces of evil are manifesting themselves more powerfully than ever before. Many Christians say that they suffer from depression, but they do not realize that being depressed is a choice, just as being optimistic is a choice. You control your own emotions, regardless of circumstances, or what others do to you, or around you.

Negativity, fear, and hopelessness are extremely destructive emotions, and unless we guard ourselves against them we can be destroyed emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and physically also. Not only are external spiritual forces our enemies, but internal negative emotions are also our enemies.

But there is a solution for every problem, and while only God can deal with certain issues, He expects us to deal with the problems that we should deal with. So whenever we are faced with an issue, we should write it down on paper so that we see the problem clearly, and devise a solution for it.

Chances are that many Christians have never read the book of Nehemiah, or had its lessons presented to them. But we can learn from Nehemiah that even though God was with him every step of the way, Nehemiah had to address many thorny issues and deal with them personally.

LESSONS FROM NEHEMIAH CHAPTER 4: ADDRESSING NEGATIVITY

OUR ENEMIES ARE ANGRY WHEN WE BUILD FOR GOD: 7 But it came to pass, that when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and the Arabians, and the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites, heard that the walls of Jerusalem were made up, and that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very wroth,

OUR ENMIES CONSPIRE TO FIGHT US AND HINDER US: 8 And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it.

PRAYER IS NOT DIVORCED FROM CONSTANT VIGILANCE: 9 Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them.

OUR BRETHREN DISCOURAGE US AND SIDE WITH OUR ENEMIES: 10 And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall.

OUR ADVERSARIES CONSTANTLY PLOT TO TOTALLY DESTROY US: 11 And our adversaries said, They shall not know, neither see, till we come in the midst among them, and slay them, and cause the work to cease.

OUR FRIENDS WOULD MAKE US FEARFUL INSTEAD OF STRONG: 12 And it came to pass, that when the Jews which dwelt by them came, they said unto us ten times, From all places whence ye shall return unto us they will be upon you.

THE SOLUTION IS IN OUR HANDS: 13 Therefore set I in the lower places behind the wall, and on the higher places, I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows.

THE LORD IS WITH HIS PEOPLE: 14 And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

THE CONSPIRACY OF THE ENEMY CAN BE BROUGHT TO NOTHING: 15 And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work.

BUILDING AND BEING PREPARED TO DEFEND GO HAND-IN-HAND: 16 And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah. 17 They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon. 18 For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
If we believe what Paul said above, then there should be no reason for us not to say to ourselves: “I do not have the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind, because God has saved me, and called me by His grace according to His own purpose.” Which should then result in feeling cheerful, hopeful, optimistic, and strong.
I hope so.