Ferment food?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
I have been reading about the benefits of fermenting foods. I tried it. I failed. Have any of you tried it?

J

jkalyna

:) SOUNDS LIKE YOU TRIED MAKING SOUR DOUGH. YES THE BENEFITS OF FERMENTED FOODS, ARE LIKE GOOD BENEFITS, LIKE YOGURT. I KEEP A SOUR DOUGH STARTER, WHICH FERMENTS REGULARY IT IS A LIVING THING. LIVE ORGANISIMS, THAT NEED TO BE GIVEN A FRESH DOSE OF FLOUR AND WATER, AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK TO KEEP IT GOING. SAUERKRAT IS FERMENTED, SOUR CREAM, SOUR MILK, THESE ALL HAVE EXCELLENT BENEFITS FOR YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM, AND KEEP A HEALTHY INTESTINAL TRACT. DID YOU ALL KNOW THE SMALL INTESTINES ARE YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM. THEY DON NOT TEACH THIS IN SCHOOLS. TAKE CARE EVERYONE. YOUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE, THE LORD WANTS US HEALTHY. AMEN:)

Oct 31, 2011
I am so disappointed that no one has tried this! I have read that the nutrients in food are increased, and it helps the microorganisms in our intestines like Jkalyna says. They say any time we take antibiotics they are wiped out, for instance. I fermented some vegetables, using salt and whey and got a spoiled batch of vegetables I threw out. I just found a new recipe for sauerkraut from the University of Wisconsin I’m going to try today, adding some carrots to it. Here is the recipe. I HOPE someone will join me in trying to master this and not just have to throw the whole thing away like I had to last time I tried. Work together, we can do anything!

Wash and trim a head of cabbage, half and core, then shred. (I’ll add carrots that I also shred) Weigh this and multiply that weight by .025, or 2.5% of weight. Add that much salt, mixing the salt in thoroughly and well. Pack in a large container that is not metal (crock or jar).

From other instructions, it seems this will produce its own juice and the juice needs to cover all. It needs a weight to keep it below the juice, but not enough to crush the vegetables. Then a cloth tied firmly around jar so dust and bugs are kept out.

If you process this with heat you kill all the microorganisms you work so hard to produce, like happens when you buy canned sauerkraut

W

wwjd_kilden

I've never tried fermenting food myself, but I use sour cream for almost any dinner (pretty much like a dressing , just add whatever spice you like).

J

jkalyna

:) I DO MAKE BUTTERMILK. IT IS EASY JUST TAKE A HALF GALLON PITCHER OF WHOLE MILK AND PUT A HALF OF CUP OF BUTTERMILK IN IT AND LET IT SIT TILL IT TICKENS, THEN REFERGERATE IT. YOU COULD USE A A CUP OR SO FOR THE NEXT MIXTURE. THE THINK I FOUND OUT WITH THIS WAS THAT, THE MILK THAT IS DILUTED BY ANTIBIOTICS DOSN'T WORK WITH THIS. OR SKIM MILK . IT WORKS WELL WITH WHOLE MILK WITHOUT THE USE OF ANTIBIOTICS. LIKE CREAM OF LAND OR LEIGHIGH VALLEY. REALLY GOOD WITH A PANCAKE MIX. :)