Finding my "soulmate"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Meesh17

So my mom is constantly telling me that God has a significant other planned for me, and that I need to pray for him. The thing is though, I'm a senior in high school and never even DATED a guy! I hate to seem impatient, but i'm afraid that i'm going to end up being one of those people who's alone forever! If I could get help/advice it would really be appreciated!!

S

StephenH

I know the feeling, I'm 25 years old and have never dated or been in any relationship. I've thought that I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life many times and I've lost many nights sleep from it over the years. I definitely know where you're coming from.

In Genesis, when God created man, he saw that it was not good for man to be alone and created woman. That's the only thing in creation that he saw wasn't good, was man to be alone.

There's different references to different parties ideas about marriage and singleness in the Bible, such as 1 Corinthians 7.

At any rate, I was going slightly off topic. I've heard stories such as from someone I knew when I was at a church years ago that one day wrote down exactly what they were looking for in a future man, down to his looks and interests. Years later, after they were married, they found that notebook again and it matched to a T with what they had written and prayed for.

I myself aren't very optimistic that I'll find a significant other, but what I pray is that God will lead me to the right person in his time. Some people I believe aren't meant to be married, either. God's will and ways are different for everyone. You just have to pray about it and pray if it is his will that he'll bring the right person your way.

At any rate, I hope this helps a little. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Meesh17

Thank you!! I wish you the best of luck as well! I'm sure God will send someone your way :)

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
Is there such thing as soul mates? said:
Question: "Is there such a thing as soul mates? Does God have one specific person for you to marry?"

Answer:
The common idea of a “soul mate” is that for every person, there is another person who is a “perfect fit,” and if you marry anyone other than this soul mate, you will never be happy. Is this concept of a soul mate biblical? No, it is not. The soul mate concept is often used as an excuse for divorce. People who are unhappy in their marriage sometimes claim that they did not marry their soul mate and therefore should divorce and begin the search for their true soul mate. This is nothing more than an excuse, a blatantly unbiblical excuse. If you are married, the person you are married to is your soul mate. Mark 10:7-9 declares, “A man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” A husband and wife are “united,” “one flesh,” “no longer two, but one,” and “joined together,” i.e., soul mates.

A marriage may not be as unified and joyous as a couple wishes it to be. A husband and wife may not have the physical, emotional, and spiritual unity that they desire. But even in this instance, the husband and wife are still soul mates. A couple in such a situation needs to work on developing true “soul mate” intimacy. By obeying what the Bible teaches about marriage (Ephesians 5:22-33), a couple can develop the intimacy, love, and commitment that being “one flesh” soul mates entails. If you are married, you are married to your soul mate. No matter how disharmonious a marriage is, God can bring healing, forgiveness, restoration, and true marital love and harmony.

Is it possible to marry the wrong person? If we give ourselves to God and seek His guidance, He promises to direct us: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6). The implication of Proverbs 3:5-6 is that if you are not trusting in the Lord with all your heart, and are leaning on your own understanding, you can go the wrong direction. Yes, it is possible, in a time of disobedience and lack of close fellowship with God, to marry someone whom He did not desire you to marry. Even in such an instance, though, God is sovereign and in control.

Even if a marriage was not God’s desire, it is still within His sovereign will and plan. God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16), and “marrying the wrong person” is never presented in the Bible as grounds for divorce. The claim “I married the wrong person and will never be happy unless I find my true soul mate” is unbiblical in two respects. First, it is a claim that your wrong decision has overridden God’s will and destroyed His plan. Second, it is a claim that God is not capable of making a struggling marriage happy, unified, and successful. Nothing we do can disrupt God’s sovereign will. God can take any two people, no matter how mismatched, and mold them into two people who are perfect for each other.

If we maintain close fellowship with God, He will lead us and guide us. If a person is walking with the Lord and truly seeking His will, God will lead that person to the spouse He intends. God will lead us to our “soul mate” if we submit to Him and follow Him. However, being soul mates is both a position and a practice. A husband and wife are soul mates in that they are “one flesh,” spiritually, physically, and emotionally united to each other. In practice, though, there is a process of taking what a couple is, soul mates, and making that a day-by-day reality. True soul mate oneness is only possible by implementing the biblical pattern of marriage.
Source: Is there such a thing as soul mates?

U

Ugly

There is no biblical basis for the concept of a 'soul mate'. Nothing in the bible supports it. In fact, the concept, to me, is unbiblical. The idea that one person is made for another? I thought we were made for God, not man.
In fact, 'soul mate' has its roots in paganism.

And if you are worried about 'being one of those people who are single forever', well, that's not showing much faith in God to guide you. Also, i suggest not placing so much emphasis on marriage. I mean, you're not even out of High School and here you are in a panic you'll be single forever. That is totally the wrong mindset, and shows that your priorities are out of whack. I think you need to step back from this whole topic and rethink whats important and where your mind and heart is. Sounds like their not where they should be.

C

ChristianGuy0

I think almost every single person wonders if they will still be alone at 90.. it's just the way we think.

But God is faithful... He knows what you need and Jesus said that God gives good gifts... He will take care of this.

Your mother's advice is good. It might be hard to see it, but it's good. What I think happen is that God has His perfect plan for you, in His perfect timing... But then on top of that, everything we tried to do in our own power just becomes baggage.

So any relationships you try to force now, that are not God's will, will just cause problems and baggage later in life.

So it really is better to just sit back and trust in God. This question really comes down to how strong is your faith in God? Do you actually believe that He is real and He is all powerful and that He can set you up with someone if it is His will?

God bless and I will pray that God's will is done in your life. I prayed many times to find someone and God delivered me for.. My only regret is not simply waiting for Him, but rather trying to force the issue myself by being worldly and looking for someone in my own strengh for many years. If I could go back I would just take all the time worrying about the opposite sex and just use it to think about God.

J

jo_ptrp

hi...don't rush okay you are too young...i've been in a relationship twice, and both of my exes left me because they "want to improve themselves" ...my recent relationship almost caused me to give up my good career just to be united with his plans but i thank God that he broke up with me, cause i realized now that there are a lot of wonderful men out there waiting also for their princesses and i don't need to give up my personal dreams...now i know and i believe that while im on the process of reaching my goals and self improvements God is also preparing my prince along the way...and im excited to meet him someday.

M

MarkayMrk777

Only thing you should worry about is pleasing God.
He will take care of the rest :)

Matthew 6:33

New International Version (NIV)

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.