First beast Revelation 13.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
In Revelation chapter 13 we have a beast come out of the sea. who is this beast? is it related to the ones in Daniel? let's take a look.

Rev 13:1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

The First thing we will notice is that this beast rises up out of the sea/a body of water. what does this mean?

Rev 17:15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

Waters represent a populated area of nations and peoples etc. so this beast/power will rise in a populated area. We will look at the heads and horns in a later study on chapter 17.

Rev 13:2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

notice that this beast is directly connected to the beasts of Daniel. the leopard, bear and lion. these three beasts come from Daniel 7. The interesting thing here is that the fourth beast is not mentioned. This gives us an indication that this beast is connected with the fourth beast in which the little horn came up out of. So far this beast would seem to be in line with Papal Rome from Daniel.

We know who the dragon is because we are told in the chapter before this.

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

So the Power behind this beast is none other than Satan himself.

Rev 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

Here we see that one of the heads is wounded but then is healed. Remember that Daniel told us that the reign of the Papacy would end in 1798. more on that in a few verses.

Rev 13:4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

So this Papal power would rise again after it received its wound. but notice what the next verse says.

Rev 13:5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

Does that sound familiar to you?

Dan 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Notice that both of these speak great things for a time period. This period is the same time period.

let me explain:

time and times and the dividing of time. means 1 year + 2 years + half a year. knowing that the Jews counted 12 months in the year each month of 30 days. This means that the time given here is 1260 days. how many months are in 3 and a half years? 42 months.

So both 42 months and time, times and half a time are the same time period of 1260 days in which we learned from Daniel was the time that the Papacy reigned from 538AD to 1798AD. (see studies on Daniel 7 for details)

So it seems clear that this power in Revelation that comes out of the Populated area is in Fact the little horn that rises in the populated area of Europe after the split of the Roman empire.

Rev 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Rev 13:9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.
Rev 13:10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

These last verses both happened during its 1,260 year reign and will happen again on a world wide scale. but this beast will not do it alone. The Papacy will need more power behind it to do this.

Dan 8:24 And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.

Notice even in Daniel it says that he will do this but not by his own power. History will repeat itself. He will once again come against Gods people. In fact chapter 12 will give us some insight into this. We will look there first and then we can look at the second beast/power that will give power to the Papacy in these last days.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Just a recap on the Identity of this beast.

point 1

The little horn was a blasphemous power. Dan 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High
The beast in Rev does the same: Rev 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God,

Point 2

The little horn made war with the saints and prevailed against them. (Dan 7:21) The beast in Rev also makes war with the Saints and overcomes them. (Rev 13:7)

Point 3

The little horn had a mouth speaking great things. (Dan 7: 8, 20). Rev 13:5 tells us that this beast spoke great things and blasphemies.

point 4

The time for this power to last is the same both in Daniel and Revelation. Time, times and dividing of time. 42 months.

Nov 29, 2012
I think this is the Holy Roman Empire. In Daniel, the horns always end up representing the house of a king, not just one king but the whole dynasty. To be a Holy Roman Emperor essentially two things had to happen. First you must be elected by the council of Seven (seven heads) and Second you must be crowned by the Pope. The Holy Roman Empire, it turns out, was ruled by ten houses (ten horns)...

1 Merovingian Dynasty
2 Carolingian Dynasty

3 House of Saxony (Ottonian)
4 Salian Dynasty
5 House of Supplinburg
6 House of Hohenstaufen

7 Welf dynasty
8 House of Luxembourg
9 House of Wittelsbach

10 House of Habsburg

These were not always in order. Sometimes control would jump back and forth between two houses for many years. Sometimes there was no emperor and there was lots of fighting between houses and other claiments but there are only ten houses which meet both requirements. In the beginning, the election was done by seven countries (West Francia (France), East Francia (Germany), Saxonia (Northern Germany), Swabia/ Burgandy (Switzerland/ Luxemburg), Baveria/ Bohemia (Austria), Italy, and the Roman Vatican) making up the empire but later the election was changed (see the Golden Bull by Charles IV 1356) to be three electors from the Church and four from the primary regions (still seven heads):
the Archbishop of Mainz, the Archbishop of Trier, the Archbishop of Cologne, the King of Bohemia, the Margrave of Brandenburg, the Count Palatine of the Rhine, the Duke of Saxony

Nov 29, 2012
Notice that both of these speak great things for a time period. This period is the same time period.

let me explain:

time and times and the dividing of time. means 1 year + 2 years + half a year. knowing that the Jews counted 12 months in the year each month of 30 days. This means that the time given here is 1260 days. how many months are in 3 and a half years? 42 months.

So both 42 months and time, times and half a time are the same time period of 1260 days in which we learned from Daniel was the time that the Papacy reigned from 538AD to 1798AD. (see studies on Daniel 7 for details)

So it seems clear that this power in Revelation that comes out of the Populated area is in Fact the little horn that rises in the populated area of Europe after the split of the Roman empire.
This uses the Roman calendar which was not invented until around the birth of Christ under the reign of Caesar Augustus. Under the Jewish and Chaldean calendars, the month is from New Moon to the next New Moon or about 29.5 days (some months had 29 days and others had 30). Using those caldendars which existed at the time of Daniel, there would be 43.33 months in 3 and a half years. Why would Daniel's prophecies refer to a caldendar which would not exist for another six centuries? Why would God use the Roman calendar?

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Identifying the Other Beast in Revelation 13:11-12 It is very hard to just to jump right in and identifying this other Beast described in Revelation 13:11 without going back to Chapter 12 to get all of the context and setting of the stage. So I will briefly touch on these other characters in Rev. 12 and 13, then explain this "other Beast."

Disclaimer: I am not an anti-semite, I am not an anti-Palestine, I'm pro-peace for both!!! It doesn't matter what group of people God chose, the story would remained the same! Sorry for the length, I wanted to do a thorough job. It's those Christians who want to gather Jews from all over the world and place them in Israel that are anti-semites, just so that their end time scenario can play out, which is 1/3 will be killed with fire, 1/3 will be killed by the sword, and 1/3 will be slaughtered.

Revelation 12:13-17 My comments are in parenthesis.
13 Now when the dragon (Satan) saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman (the true church) who gave birth to the male Child.(Christ) 14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place,(Jewish Christians fleeing from Jerusalem to Mnt. Pella before the siege of the Roman Armies) where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time,(3 and 1/2 years, that is how long it took for the Roman Armies to completely conquer Jerusalem) from the presence of the serpent. (God protected His children from the Satan's rule of Roman Armies while God Himself Ordained and was fully in control of this operation. Our God is sovereign and nothing happens without His approval). 15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood. 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. (Satan could not defeat the Church, true Israel) 17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, (1st century Christians living outside Jerusalem and Palestine) who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

The True Church (true Israel) in verse 13 are Jewish believers before Christ was born, some examples are Mary and Joseph, all those who kept the commandments with a honest heart (although they still had sin in their personal lives) and who looked forward to the Coming Messiah. Satan understood bible prophecy and tried to have Christ killed even before He was born by King Herold (I'm sure you know the story). Spiritually God's bride never changes, God has His church. The true believers are True Israel in the OT as well as the NT, but physically God punishes His "earthly bride" who is Natural Israel by giving her divorce papers and punishing her by OT Law which is death (Deut. 24:1-4). First to the Northern Kingdom and then to Judah.This Church age doesn't replace Israel, it's a continuation of true Israel, therefore this is not Replacement Theology.

8 Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear, but went and played the harlot also." Jeremiah 3:8

Isaiah 50

New King James Version (NKJV)

The Servant, Israel’s Hope

50 Thus says the Lord:
“Where is the certificate of your mother’s divorce,
Whom I have put away?
Or which of My creditors is it to whom I have sold you?
For your iniquities you have sold yourselves,
And for your transgressions your mother has been put away.
(I believe that Judea is actually being blamed for the split of the kingdom, the Northern Kingdom Israel and the southern kingdom Judea because of Solomon's sin)

Today's true Israel is the church, a combination of Jews and gentiles who are grafted into the 1 cultivated olive tree that is described in Romans 11.

In Revelation 13 beginning with verse 1 I believe is a continuation of the end of chapter 12 (chapters and verses are not part of the original manuscripts but where later added my men). In verse 1, John picks up with the dragon again, "And the dragon stood on the sand of the seashore." (NASB) This is the same dragon that is warring against the church in chapter 12. Next John says,"Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea", this beast is the Roman empire corporately. If we go back to Daniel 7 and can see the Roman empire is the last of the four Satanic or earthy kingdoms, and it was prophesied that Christ would come in this kingdom. Almost all commenters agree that this a Roman empire, futurist say its a revived Roman empire but I disagree with the futurist because I don't see any evidence that supports a revived Roman empire. The term "out of the sea" I believe "the sea" means a multitude of wicked people using OT passages to support this (Psa 106:7, Provers 23:29-35, Isaiah 57:20 , Jude 1:12-14).

Beasts are nations
Verse 2 of Revelation 13 is very interesting, And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and his feet were like those of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. In the book of Daniel 7 the beast are listed in this order lion, bear and leopard and the fourth was different and had iron teeth. Also in Daniel 7 verse 7 the fourth beast is also described very similar to what is described in verse 1 of Revelation 13 as having 10 horns (rulers). So what is John doing? He is looking back from his time period, which is in the fourth beast the Roman empire, in reverse progression the leopard (Grecian period), the bear (Medes/Persian era) and lion (Babylonian era) just as if you where to look back in history at the US presidents starting with President Obama, Bush----> Clintion----> Senior Bush. If you new the future starting from Senior Bush, you pen it Clinton, Bush, and Obama. The only difference between Daniel and John is that Daniel included the Beast in which he lived, John did not. This is the 1st Beast. The reason why John describes this beast as was like a leopard, bear and lion is because the Roman empire had conquered all of them and the prior kingdoms were assimilated into Rome.

Now I'm going to skip to Revelation 13:11 for times sake. 11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon. Just as a reminder, I said in other post regarding the word earth (G1093-"ge"), I believe it can and should be rendered as land here, in particular Palestine. The text says "another beast" so this indicates it is another nation. I believe John is seeing apostate Israel here, for it had 2 horns like a lamb (Christ) and spoke like a dragon (Satan). Right off the bat you should recognize who this is, a wolf in sheep's clothing. The High Priest(s) or religious leader(s), or false prophet(s) who speaks lies and not truths. I believe it is referring to the whole religious system. It is my belief that perhaps the 2 horns are actually the high priests mentioned in Luke 3:2 Annas and Caiaphas and John is just using them to describe the whole. The bible tells that Satan comes as an angel of light but speaketh lies and is the counterfeit Christ (2 Corinthians 11:14).
Galatians 1:8 says "8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed."(NKJV). Also Satan wanted to be worshiped instead of God.

While Christ walked on earth (the land), who did He renounce the most? Matthew 23 gives us a clear picture of who these people were, they were the religious rulers who Jesus calls the sons of the devil (verse 33) and leading others to hell (verse 15). What an abomination to God it is, who sent His only son to suffer and die for us to have an unbelieving priest offer up to God animals as a sacrifice once the ultimate sacrifice was provided! These priests acted as a mediator between God and man to all the people until the temple was destroyed in 70AD and Why? God didn't want any part of it, God hates animals sacrifices (Isaiah 1:11) (1 Samuel 15:22) and prefers a pure heart. These priests where anti-christs! Not only that they wanted to KILL Jesus. Not to mention this is a prophecy fulfilled concerning God's wrath upon the apostate nation of Israel/Jerusalem.

Matthew 7:15-20:
False Prophets
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them. (NASB)

Some say that the Catholic Church and the Pope is the anti-Christ. I don't agree with many of their practices but they are not the antichrist and it is biblical impossible. The world antichrist is only used 4 times in the whole bible 1 John 2:18, 1 John 2:22, 1 John 4:3 and 2 John 1:7

1 John 2:18
Deceptions of the Last Hour

18 Little children, it is the last hour (meaning it's soon to happen in his day); and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.

Whats the last hour? I think those who left them were Jewish or Roman spies who were going to report them to the authorities for capture and persecution.

1 John 2:22 (This is the definition of an antichrist)

22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. Any Catholics here deny that Jesus is deity? Please tell me! Anyone who denies Jesus Christ is the Son of God, deity is an antichrist. You probably have an antichrist living right next to you! I have an antichrist living in my home (my 2 step sons, please pray for them Brandon and Cameron).

1 John 4:3 (NKJV)
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

Back to the study of the "other beast" verse 12, "He exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence." This goes back to the study I did on Babylon the Great Harlot who rides on the back of the beast (which was reason #3 of 16) Go check it there. Israel was under the control and protection of the Roman empire. For this to be America, America would have to be in the presence of the first beast which is Rome. Rome is weak today. So if it is America, who control are we under? NWO? United Nations? Perhaps, but I have seen America act without permission from the UN before. We are not forced to pay taxes to them. We are allow to bash them verbally anytime we wish. Frankly, its a stretch! This definitely does not fit pre-trib/pre-mil eschatological system of interpretation, because they say the 1st beast here is a revived Roman empire.

Continuing, And he makes the earth (land) and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast (Rome and it's rulers). Who did the Jews give there allegiance too?

John 19:12-15 (NKJV)
12 From then on Pilate sought to release Him, but the Jews cried out, saying, “If you let this Man go, you are not Caesar’s friend. Whoever makes himself a king speaks against Caesar.”
13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus out and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called The Pavement, but in Hebrew, Gabbatha. 14 Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he said to the Jews, “Behold your King!”
15 But they cried out, “Away with Him, away with Him! Crucify Him!”
Pilate said to them, “Shall I crucify your King?”
The chief priests answered, “We have no king but Caesar!”

Who was spiritual the power behind ancient Rome? Satan, the Dragon! and the other beast as well!

who's fatal wound was healed. I believe this is a reference to the History of the Roman empires starting with the 1st one, Julius Caesar. To read up on his history click here. Julius Caesar was not popular among the republic senate leaders because he wanted absolute power and was assassinated. This marked the fall of the Republic and sent the nation into chaos for 13 years in which 3 civil wars where fought. After the 3rd civil war Caesar Augustus came into power. All Caesars claimed to be deity wanted absolute power, therefore in the spirit of antichrist and the desire for absolute power the Caesar emperor position was healed or resurrected.

Nov 29, 2012
I agree with some of this but there is too much for detail.

Summary: The first beast of Rev13 is made up of all the previous beasts, it is the German Holy Roman Empire. The Second Beast is the Protestant Reformation and the two horns represent the Lutherans and the Episcopals, the two branches of the reformation. The second beast makes an image of the first beast – just so, the Lutherans and Episcopals set up a new church and government just like the Holy Roman Empire and the Papacy.

The woman is indeed the true church and the twelve stars over her head are the spirits of the twelve apostles (the foundation of the church). The two wings of an eagle represent the flight of the church to the Americas (United States) fleeing religious persecution (by the devil) who turns and continues to persecute in Europe and the Middle East. The son being born is/are the Sons of God being perfected in each church period (Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergemus, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodikia – we are in the Laodikia period now). The disciples wrote that in their period, Ephesus, the Sons had not yet appeared. The fatal wound was probably the split between the Papacy and the Holy Roman Emperors (read about Henry IV’s barefoot walk over the Alps to Canossa and later his assault and capture of the Papal Throne in Rome and the so called “false popes”.)

Last edited: