First Fruits in Heaven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
MATTHEW 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Revelation 4:1.
After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
3 And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Is it possible that these 24 elders in heaven are those who resurrected from death when Yeshua resurrected? I don't believe the Bible gives us sufficient words to know what happened to those many bodies. Like did they die a second death and are waiting for Yeshua' s Second Coming or did they also go to heaven when Yeshua did?

J

John_S

No one can accurately answer that question for you.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God does not give us the names of the elders but the first fruits is Jesus Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

D

Delivery

Jesus is the first fruits of those who rose from the dead. Meaning He was the first one to rise from the dead. And because He rose from the dead all those who believe on Him will also rise from the dead. Most of us will be resurrected at Jesus' second coming when all of God's children who have passed on will come out of their graves and have a new resurrected body. And all those who are still alive at Jesus' second coming will be raptured, or instantly changed from their natural corruptible body into their immortal, incorruptible bodies.

15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

MATTHEW 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

These old testament saints are the exception. They don't have to wait 'til Jesus' second coming to be resurrected. They get theirs ahead of time. They get to be resurrected immediately after Jesus is resurrected. This is also why they were able to appear unto many people in the city. They are not spirits any more. When we die our spirits go to be with Jesus in Heaven, but we don't get our new incorruptible resurrected bodies 'til the resurrection and rapture at Jesus' second coming. People can't see spirits. Spirits can't show themselves to people. But once these dead saints received their resurrected bodies they were able to appear to people and people were able to see them. Of course, they could appear or disappear at will and, yes, they did eventually go up to heaven with Jesus and the Father. The scriptures doesn't make it clear when this happened but probably at the same time as Jesus.

As far as whether or not these resurrected OT saints are the 24 elders around the throne the scriptures don't make that clear either. It's possible they are, but it's one of those things we'll probably have to wait 'til we get to heaven to find out.

Oct 14, 2013
Jesus is the first fruits of those who rose from the dead. Meaning He was the first one to rise from the dead. And because He rose from the dead all those who believe on Him will also rise from the dead. Most of us will be resurrected at Jesus' second coming when all of God's children who have passed on will come out of their graves and have a new resurrected body. And all those who are still alive at Jesus' second coming will be raptured, or instantly changed from their natural corruptible body into their immortal, incorruptible bodies.

15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

These old testament saints are the exception. They don't have to wait 'til Jesus' second coming to be resurrected. They get theirs ahead of time. They get to be resurrected immediately after Jesus is resurrected. This is also why they were able to appear unto many people in the city. They are not spirits any more. When we die our spirits go to be with Jesus in Heaven, but we don't get our new incorruptible resurrected bodies 'til the resurrection and rapture at Jesus' second coming. People can't see spirits. Spirits can't show themselves to people. But once these dead saints received their resurrected bodies they were able to appear to people and people were able to see them. Of course, they could appear or disappear at will and, yes, they did eventually go up to heaven with Jesus and the Father. The scriptures doesn't make it clear when this happened but probably at the same time as Jesus.

As far as whether or not these resurrected OT saints are the 24 elders around the throne the scriptures don't make that clear either. It's possible they are, but it's one of those things we'll probably have to wait 'til we get to heaven to find out.

Hebrew 11
[SUP]38 [/SUP](Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

[SUP]39 [/SUP]And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

[SUP]40 [/SUP]God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Oct 14, 2013

Revelation 4:1.
After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
3 And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Is it possible that these 24 elders in heaven are those who resurrected from death when Yeshua resurrected? I don't believe the Bible gives us sufficient words to know what happened to those many bodies. Like did they die a second death and are waiting for Yeshua' s Second Coming or did they also go to heaven when Yeshua did?
When did the saints come out the graves is the clue to the answer for your question

S

StandStrong

at this time there is not enough context in the Word to accurately come to a reasonable conclusion to either of your questions. I am sure, however, that with an in depth study the answers will be revealed.

D

Delivery

Hebrew 11
[SUP]38 [/SUP](Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

[SUP]39 [/SUP]And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

[SUP]40 [/SUP]God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.
They didn't receive the promise yet during their life time on earth because Jesus hadn't come yet. The promise hadn't been fulfilled yet. But they looked forward to it. But when Jesus came and died for the sins of the whole world, and was raised from the dead then they received the promise at that time just like all the rest of us. They couldn't be made perfect without us but once Jesus came and fulfilled the promises we all became perfect together( both past and future saints) because of Jesus' death for our sins, and resurrection from the dead.

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
Hebrew 11

Not understanding. Can you tell me what this means to you?

Sep 4, 2012
This is a really good question. One of those verses that I just sort of dismiss because it is so far beyond my comprehension. But there are some things to consider.

• The dead who were resurrected were local to Jerusalem. This excludes Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Joshua, and all of the kings of Israel, and many others who were not Judeans.
  • The resurrected dead 'went into the the holy city'. I think this fact would exclude all of the kings of Judah (except the leprous Uzziah) who were buried in the royal cemetery within the city walls. Most others were buried outside of the city walls on the slopes of the Kidron Valley, and possibly on the central peak of the Mount of Olives, and in Azal Valley (Zechariah 14:5), though the latter two locations may have been used as cemeteries later in history.
  • If those who were resurrected hadn't recently died, their resurrection doesn't seem to have been particularly merciful considering the fact that they didn't know anyone. But to think that they were taken to heaven is a really cool idea.

Jul 26, 2013
They are with Jesus and the thief in paradise. We die because we don't love one another. When we do, we will be changed in the twinkling of an eye just as the bible states. I have been advocating that change with the riddence of money. Only then can we feed all men.