First fruits

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

biblicalsandy

Can first fruits be like when someone thinks of a song, that song should give praise to God? Anything we labor for, like talents, poems, etc? I was always unsure of this..Is there a guideline of what is considered first fruit?

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
First fruits were offered to God from the harvests each year by the Israelites. It was in recognition that He was the one who provided the seed, and caused the growth of the crops. It was giving Him the best.

Everything we do as Christians now should be for His glory - that He is recognized in all our endeavors. And we continually give thanks for His provision of all we have. We now offer OURSELVES and all we are as the vessels by which His fruits can be manifested unto the world.

E

eternally-gratefull

First fruits were offered to God from the harvests each year by the Israelites. It was in recognition that He was the one who provided the seed, and caused the growth of the crops. It was giving Him the best.

Everything we do as Christians now should be for His glory - that He is recognized in all our endeavors. And we continually give thanks for His provision of all we have. We now offer OURSELVES and all we are as the vessels by which His fruits can be manifested unto the world.

Good example. Any fruit which is produced through us, God should always get the credit.

F

FreeNChrist

Great answer.

P

popeye

Joi is right. It has to do with harvest. The natural harvest is 4 parts ,firstfruits,main,corners,gleaners.

"tithe" is based on firstfruits.

The spiritual parallel would be christ as firstfruits,in that he was harvested first(resurrected,then ascended to heaven),along with the dead patriarchs 2000 yrs ago.Main harvest is the bride of Christ (rapture) then the corners and gleanings. (jews)

P

popeye

Note that in "harvest" the seed must first "die and be buried" inn the earth. It then "returns to life".

God thought of everything,in that we figuratively die as depicted in baptism,and "resurrect" as born again,making our very walk an individual ,daily "firstfruits" to God. Awesome to say the least.

P

popeye

It is you that makes a song,a prayer,or daily activities a dedication to God. It surely is a continuing firstfruits adventure for those sold out ones,because even the attacking and trials are awesome opportunities to see the hand and power of God.

Jan 7, 2015
The law was a shadow of good things to come, but not the very image of those natural things.....

1 Corinthians 15:20
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

1 Corinthians 15:23
But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

1 Corinthians 16:15
I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)

James 1:18
Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Revelation 14:4
These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

The Spirit of the law shall be fulfilled in all the Lords saints. :)

Mar 4, 2013
Can first fruits be like when someone thinks of a song, that song should give praise to God? Anything we labor for, like talents, poems, etc? I was always unsure of this..Is there a guideline of what is considered first fruit?
Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me. Exodus 22:29

Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Romans 8:29

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 1 Corinthians 15:20

As we can see the "firstfruits" begin with Christ. We honor God that which we have received from Him hence glorifying Hid Holy name among the brethren, and a witness to the world we live in, for His names sake. So I think you are on target with your thoughts.

Dec 12, 2013
The first fruits is indicative of the wave offering before God....so if you want insight study this.....having said that...Jesus and the 144,000 listed in Revelation are called the first fruits.....interesting...when John writes Revelation there are only three locations listed where the 144,000 are..IN HEAVEN following the lamb where ever he goes and on MOUNT ZION when he is on MOUNT ZION and before the throne of God singing a song no man can learn....there is a group in history that fits the facts as listed in Revelation............

R

RachelBibleStudent

firstfruits were the first or best of your income or produce...

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

Good example. Any fruit which is produced through us, God should always get the credit.
yes

LORD, thou wilt ordain peace for us:
for thou also hast wrought all our works in us.
(Isaiah 26:12)

In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine.
I the LORD do keep it;
I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it,
I will keep it night and day.
. . .
He shall cause them that come of Jacob to take root:
Israel shall blossom and bud, and fill the face of the world with fruit.
(Isaiah 27:2-3, 6)

L

lihle

Growing up in a rural SA I remember when it was harvest time my grandmother used to harvest maize and vegetables from the garden and we used to carry them on our heads to the mission which was few kilometres away. At the time i didn't know why but now I think it was first fruits. Although she didn't work for money, she gave what she had.

Sep 4, 2012
Firstfruits were a shadow of Christ. They represent the best seed or progeny. A father's firstborn son was considered a sign of his strength.

He must acknowledge the son of his unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double share of all he has. That son is the first sign of his father's strength. The right of the firstborn belongs to him. Deuteronomy 21:17

Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, the first sign of my strength, excelling in honor, excelling in power. Genesis 49:3​

So I guess if you want to apply that to today, IMO it would mean giving to others as an act of love. For example, someone shares the produce of their garden with others. They didn't make the garden grow; GOD did. So they honor him by sharing with others.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009
I think of first fruits as being the first crops you pick, the first money you earn, and things like that.