Flu Shot Paralyzes Daughter

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Fla. mom: Daughter paralyzed because of flu shot

Because so many are quick to say the mother isn't a doctor, and because many are quick to say it's a myth, I'm going to quote a doctor right from the article right away.

"It can just appear out of the blue or after maybe a surgical procedure, said Dr. Juan Dumois, director of infectious diseases at All Children's Hospital. "It's otherwise unexplainable."

He says developing the illness, for which there is no way to predict or prevent, from a flu shot happens.

With that said, he does not recommend not taking the flu shot because the disease can be contracted that way as well.
"If I get the flu I'm far more likely to get ADEM than from the flu vaccine," said Dumois, who treats a few similar cases at the hospital every year.
He also said that recovery is possible, but many times not likely if improvements are not see within six months after the onset of the initial symptoms.
Now the full article.

TAMPA, Fla. – A Bay area mother spends her day caring for a bedridden daughter who can no longer walk and has very little vocabulary. She blames it on the flu vaccine.
"She (used to) love school, she was running, playing signing in the church choir," said Carla Grivna.
In their home in the Town 'N Country area, Grivna says the nightmare started last November when she took her daughter to get her routine flu shot.
Four days after getting the vaccine, Marysue fell ill with a rare viral infection of the brain called Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM).
How did an otherwise healthy 9-year-old suddenly become so paralyzed that her father has to carry her?
Her family says it was because of the flu shot.
"It can be triggered by a virus it high fever or by a vaccination," said Grivna.
Mother blames flu shot for daughter's ailments
The disease, which is similar to multiple sclerosis, may appear following vaccination or bacterial infection.
"It can just appear out of the blue or after maybe a surgical procedure, said Dr. Juan Dumois, director of infectious diseases at All Children's Hospital. "It's otherwise unexplainable."
He says developing the illness, for which there is no way to predict or prevent, from a flu shot happens.
With that said, he does not recommend not taking the flu shot because the disease can be contracted that way as well.
"If I get the flu I'm far more likely to get ADEM than from the flu vaccine," said Dumois, who treats a few similar cases at the hospital every year.
He also said that recovery is possible, but many times not likely if improvements are not see within six months after the onset of the initial symptoms.
While most common in children, adults are also susceptible to contracting the disease.
Dumois insists that the number of cases per year is rare with the incidence rate is about 8 per 1,000,000 people per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

psychomom

yeah...i have an autoimmune disease (so, compromised immune system)
and every year at the doc's they say, flu shot!

and i say, no, thanks.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I had the Flu 30 years ago, so when the doctor ask me if I want a flu shot, I say yes please. I also take my pneumonia and shingles shots too. I've had both, and I don't want either of them again.

Oct 30, 2014
I don't believe a word of this. Mother just wants someone to blame, and it's easy to blame flu shots or MMR, but they just aren't harmful. Nothing but some benign liquid and dead viruses, really.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
As I understand it is not the virus that carries the greatest concern, but the immune system activator that brings the most harm, but many do debate this.
I stopped taking any shot as the last time I was given one, my immune system which was already over active, went into hyperdrive.
I reacted to something as simple as sunlight, and for a year could not go into the sun without a severe and almost instant reaction to sunlight.
During that time I reacted to almost any substance, and it was not just painful, but disableing.
Im not willing to say that vaccinations are bad, but I do believe we need to be more cautious and informed before any vaccine.
But like I said, I do not think it is the virus, but the activator of the immune system , which can damage.

God bless
pickles

God bless
pickles

Dec 12, 2013
Makes me not want to get a flu shot for my kid for sure........

Dec 12, 2013
I don't believe a word of this. Mother just wants someone to blame, and it's easy to blame flu shots or MMR, but they just aren't harmful. Nothing but some benign liquid and dead viruses, really.
Actually, Whether or not she is lying is irrelevant as there seems to be stats that support the fact that some do have adverse reactions to the flu shot.....so............!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014

​Actually flu shots, and even vaccines of any type, are made from the virus itself. Why do you think so many people get ill when they get a flu or vaccine shot?!! I agree with psychomom--I always refuse the flu shot too..

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Fla. mom: Daughter paralyzed because of flu shot

Because so many are quick to say the mother isn't a doctor, and because many are quick to say it's a myth, I'm going to quote a doctor right from the article right away.

Now the full article.

TAMPA, Fla. – A Bay area mother spends her day caring for a bedridden daughter who can no longer walk and has very little vocabulary. She blames it on the flu vaccine.
"She (used to) love school, she was running, playing signing in the church choir," said Carla Grivna.
In their home in the Town 'N Country area, Grivna says the nightmare started last November when she took her daughter to get her routine flu shot.
Four days after getting the vaccine, Marysue fell ill with a rare viral infection of the brain called Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM).
How did an otherwise healthy 9-year-old suddenly become so paralyzed that her father has to carry her?
Her family says it was because of the flu shot.
"It can be triggered by a virus it high fever or by a vaccination," said Grivna.
Mother blames flu shot for daughter's ailments
The disease, which is similar to multiple sclerosis, may appear following vaccination or bacterial infection.
While most common in children, adults are also susceptible to contracting the disease.
Dumois insists that the number of cases per year is rare with the incidence rate is about 8 per 1,000,000 people per year.
The Flu virus can kill, especially elderly, infirm and chronic sick persons.

The great flu epidemic off 1918-1920 killed at least 50 million (and some estimates put it as many as 100 million) persons a few times more than were killed during the first world war!

If your doctor thinks that you are venerable and offers you it, then take it!

Yahweh Shalom

Feb 16, 2014
I'm a bit confused...

It appears as if this thread was created to highlight how dangerous flu shots are due to what 1still_waters highlighted. But 1still_waters also quoted the segment in which the doctor explains why the shot itself isn't so much the cause as it is one of many different triggers.

From the article:

The disease, which is similar to multiple sclerosis, may appear following vaccination or bacterial infection."It can just appear out of the blue or after maybe a surgical procedure, said Dr. Juan Dumois, director of infectious diseases at All Children's Hospital. "It's otherwise unexplainable."
In full context, we can clearly see that the flu shot doesn't cause the problem. Yes, it can be a trigger, but so can standard medical procedures and other viral infections including the flu itself.

It's like how a person with heart problems can have a heart attack after working out. Working out was simply a trigger to a pre-existing problem.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I read the article too and all I can say is it would really stink I you were one of the 8......

I've had the flu twice in 59 years and only took one flu shot that entire time.... so I'll take my chances and continue to say no as it has worked for me so far........ If the flu takes me out when I am elderly....which I am in denial right now.... then so be it as it would be my time to go.....I suppose it is as good a way to go as any other.....

Or maybe I will be one of the lucky ones and be translated out of here....only time will tell...

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
My uncle developed Guilliame-Barr Syndrome from a flu shot, which was recognized and diagnosed by a doctor. He was paralyzed a long time, and now walks slowly with a cane after about 5 years.

I had my last flu shot in 1986, and I had the flu 7 times that year, including the last time I had to be hospitalized! The doc in the hospital told me I should have had a flu shot. When I told him that I did, he told me not to ever have one again, and I have not. I have never had the flu since then, leading me to believe that the flu shot is dangerous. (Not talking about other vaccines for children!)

This was just when I began to develop multiple and serious auto-immune diseases. I wonder if I had not had 3 years of flu shots, if I would have developed these illnesses?

Oct 30, 2014
Actually, Whether or not she is lying is irrelevant as there seems to be stats that support the fact that some do have adverse reactions to the flu shot.....so............!
''Seems to be'' lol there seems to be evidence that being black means you commit more crime. Causation-correlation fallacy. Black people statistically commit more crime, but it's not because they are black. Underprivileged people tend to resort to more desperate measures to survive and far more blacks than whites are underprivileged. The flu shot correlates with illnesses' frequency because, and here's the kicker, most people get the flu shot!! I got excema when I was a kid and I also got the MMR vaccine. The correlation does not denote causation ie. the MMR did not cause the excema. Do some research!

​Actually flu shots, and even vaccines of any type, are made from the virus itself. Why do you think so many people get ill when they get a flu or vaccine shot?!! I agree with psychomom--I always refuse the flu shot too..
Yes, they are, but the simple fact that flu shots immunize people from the virus heavily outweighs the very slight risk of contracting the disease from the weakened specimen. It's absolutely idiotic to think that viruses cause more harm than good. The smallpox vaccine eradicated the disease, for goodness sake!