For Windows 8 in General\ Power-on\startup\welcome\black-screen...Fix

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 18, 2010
You could be wondering why put this thread about windows 8 here? Well, as from being challenged to a seemingly pointless end, frustrated by hours of tedious monotonous doodle bopping around over there with pressing F# keys before the booting process of the computer and trying to boot some unrecognizable, outdated Hirens Boot cd with my windows xp portable and Linux portable, norton ghost and so on. Forgive me the run-on sentences, there's a lot of info i'd like to share, though perhaps I should be brief, for the sake of time and interest, lol. As I was saying from the first, after all that If there was someone who had the same problem as me I think it acceptable to share this fix.

[Description]

So, there I was shortly after awakening that I opened my hp 2000 notebook pc laptop, entered the password to sign in,.."welcome"?...and then there was black, (a black screen as if there was still lighting, not that the display shut off). That was supposed to be my desktop it was showing.

[Followup]

(This was not my next operation but after trying multiple things with the same settings I thought this should be included where I was at the black desktop with a cursor and absolutely no function).

I pressed alt+ctrl+del which did bring up the one screen with a list of choices: Lock/Switch user/Sign out/Task Manager... Of course I clicked on Task Manager, It would pop up as an blank window then shortly after, disappear into the darkness as if minimized but into a black hole. Quite a vortex gave my head a spinning...At one point I inserted a 16gb SD Card this caused a window to pop up with an error message. I was in too much of a mood to not bother to memorize it for later reference. What I do remember of it is that it said windows was lacking what seemed to be its core element of processing.

[Later on/The F# keys]

I decided to go back and mess around with the F# keys,.. I found that F1 was system information, F2 was disk check F3-7 I don't think did anything.F9 was system device boot order F10 was bios. I thought f8 was what I used but I went back to confirm it and I can't get it to do anything, so it must've been F11 system recovery.

[The Climax]

I will skip all of the doodle bopping and come strait forth with it. This is the sequence of which actions were taken to carryout this procedure. By the way we're just using this directory so we can use it's features not necessarily going all the way through with it. You'll understand as I continue on...Here this sequence of actions will be separated by \ symbols as in the windows directory....

___________________________________________From Powering On___________________________________________
F11\Wait...\Keyboard (US)\Troubleshoot\Advanced options\System Image Recovery\(target Os)Windows 8.1\Re-image Your Computer (pop up box loading)\Cancel\Next (there was a window behind it)\Advanced\(Another box pops up)Install a Driver\Add Drivers box pops up\OK\,.. At last we have located our nifty tool, the windows explorer! This is what we were after, we wont be carrying out anymore of the image locating any longer. Now, Here is the next set of steps in this sequence which is from the windows explorer window, First click the Computer icon to the left\Local Disk (C:)\Windows\System32\SystemResetPlatform\,..here is where the file we were looking for is titled:SystemResetOsUpdates\Right-click\Run as administrator (you won't notice anything really happen, but you're done)\X out of the window\cancel\cancel (on the next two windows)\Continue-exit and continue to windows 8.1... Should be good to go from there.

Surprise, the reason because of this whole black screen was because of recent windows updates, which that .exe located was to undo those updates, which got me thinking... I am going to store all my files now and totally restore my laptop to factory settings and not do updates unless its something I need like for my drivers or I think might be useful. Ah and making a back up once I have the programs and personalizations I see fit.

U

Ugly

I might've read this had you been more clear and to the point. I got tired of wondering where you were headed before the 1st paragraph was even over.

May 18, 2010
I thought about putting together a cheesy video of it, cheesy because it'd be a hand held recording of a computer screen. lol. which I have seen on youtube before but i don't know a way to record the screen from the beginning of startup like that.

May 18, 2010
yea, sure, sure, you'd be willing to continue on had it happened to you.

1611Glen

Use a windows 8 repair or install disk to refresh the PC, using the recovery console equivalent.

May 18, 2010
some computers featuring win8 (like mine) come with win8 preinstalled, no discs, not even a label with the key, there is a setting called refresh that can refresh your pc without the deletion of files, but that requires free disc space, which to me at times is difficult to keep. another option is recovery, it uses a partition that has a clean installation of windows, which to me is horrific. For safe keeping; a wise choice would be to make a back up image, perhaps on some memory storing device other than your computer's internal hard drive, that's sorta what a partition is used as.

about that site, I am aware that there are sites that can be used to extract ip addresses from visitors who may click on that link. and so, I believe there is a sort of way to sandbox it, or encrypt your ip, so before i go clicking on anymore of peoples links i think i should prepare.

tinkering with windows has been frustrating, but far more interesting overall.