Free From Homosexuality

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ZBehr

Jan 10, 2013
Written in 2005

This is My testimony of my faith, and the struggles Ive gone through in my life. I live here in central Washington in a very conservative, and very religious town. Ive always had strong Christian beliefs, even if I didnt always follow them. Nowadays Im very strong in my faith and I try live in obedience to God. There is one big thing Ive always struggled with: My sexuality. Not just struggling with who and what I am, but also with the way Im percieved by others. Just Let me start from the beginning and Ill tell the whole story:

My Childhood.. I was the fifth out of six. A quiet child, and I often preferred my own company but there were reasons for that, like an abusive father, and an even more abusive older brother. That house was always in termoil, a virtual hell on Earth, and school wasnt any better. The only thing I could do was to look to God to help me through those painful times.

My Walk with God.. When I was about ten I started going to church. It was a Baptist church just around the corner. I dont remember much about Sunday School there, but I remember learning all the Fundamentals. Ill always remember going to church camp when I was twelve where I accepted Jesus as my savior. That was a memorable day for me in my walk with God. I got Baptized soon after that.

Sometimes I went to church with my grandparents. I didnt care too much for my grandpa. My grandma on the other hand was a really good person, and a good Christian too. I always thought she was perfect and sinless, and I so badly wanted to be a good Christian like her. Their church was alot different than the Baptist church I went to. It was a radical sect of the Pentecostal church. I later realized that this church was a cult, mainly because of theyre extreme legalism. I didnt realize that at the time though. I liked it since it was more lively than my other church. It was also an opportunity to spend time with my extended family.

I can’t remember which one of these churches I went to first, and I dont remember learning a whole lot from either one of them, but I did learn all the Fundamentals of the faith. I always believed the Bible to be Gods word, but I just wasnt willing to take the effort to read it, and not knowing the Bible left me open to unbiblical teachings, like the legalistic teachings of my grandparents church.

I was led to believe I had to be perfect and sinless to be a good Christian. I knew I couldnt be sinless, and I was always worried about losing my salvation if I sinned. To make it worse, I was also starting to realize that I was different. I didnt understand what was happening, or why it was happening to me. I tried to ignore it, but it wouldnt go away.

By the age of eighteen, I gave up on God. I couldnt be the perfect Christian I wanted to be no matter how hard I tried. It wasnt helping that I knew deep down about who and what I am. I never chose to be like this, and I didnt want it. I denied it to myself, and I kept it bottled up inside, like a dirty little secret. I just wanted it to go away.

My First and Last Girlfriend.. When I was 18, I got my very first girlfriend. Her name was Gina, and we got pretty serious. We even lived together for awhile. I played the part, but deep down I knew this wasnt what I wanted. Inside I had these feelings and attractions that I couldnt do anything about. After awhile I told Gina about these feelings I had, and she wasnt too happy about it. I wasnt too happy either. I was very unsure about my future and where my life was heading.

Coming Out.. After I was with Gina about a year, I started meeting other gay people, and I got my first glimpse of the gay community. I was really fascinated with this new world I had discovered, and I knew I wanted to be a part of it. After Awhile, Gina started to see how I was changing, and she didnt take it too well. We had a pretty rough break up over it. I didnt mean to hurt Gina, but I couldnt live that lie anymore. I had to be me. Anyways I was ready to put this all behind me, and start a new chapter in my life.

Coming out to My Family.. At this time my family was finding out about me . Most of the immediate family was fine with it. The only ones it really bothered were My Dad and my older brother. They were both already so cruel to me in the first place. It got even worse after they found out about me. Later on My Grandpa found out, and he tried to say because I was gay that I was a child molestor. I held a grudge against him, and my brother too for a long time.

When I was twenty, my brother decided to beat on me again, not because I did anything wrong, but because I was gay. I couldnt take the abuse anymore, so I decided to dissapear. I didnt know where I was headed, but I somehow ended up in San Fransisco. When I was there I got involved in a united Pentecostal church, where I got ‘saved again’, and baptized shortly after. I told them I didnt have a decent place to stay, so I ended up living with the church in a bording house they had.

It was a horrifying experience. They tried to drive the ‘demon of homosexuality’ out of me, and they were very legalistic about things. I couldnt wear certain clothes, I couldnt color my hair, It was always something. They also forced me to speak in touges. Looking back on it Im pretty sure I was faking it just to fit in. It was really hard for me to live in that environment, so After afew months, I just got fed up with the whole thing, and one day I bought a bus ticket, and quietly packed my things, hopped on the bus, and came back up to Washington. Knowing what I know now, Im pretty sure that church was a cult.

My First Real Relationship.. When I got back home, I tried to put that horrible experience behind me and get on with my life. Over the next few years, I managed to get into afew relationships which ended up being a complete waste of time. When I was twenty three, I met someone by the name of Mike, We hit it off as friends, then after awhile we found ourselves being more than that. He was not only a great companion. He was my best friend, and I enjoyed our time together. I didnt feel sinful at all about the companionship between us. Theres nothing wrong with loving someone and sharing my life with them. I did however feel wrong and sinful when it came to the “physical” part. I knew it was wrong, but at the time I accepted it as part of a relationship.

After about a year together, we moved to a town in northern California where we met several people, including this straight guy named Rick. He was a nice guy, and not at all threatened by me and Mike. We got to be pretty good friends, and afew times I actually had the opportunity to witness to him about God, and he was interested in getting to know God. Since I hadnt actually read the Bible, I could just tell him what I knew. Whatever I told him, it worked. I later found a nice little Baptist church just around the corner. One Sunday, He decided to come to church with me, and that day he accepted Jesus as his savior. I was really happy for him, and I was really amazed that God could use me of all people to help bring someone to him. After living there for about three years, I started having problems with my health, and we decided to move back home to Washington.

My New Church Home.. After we got moved and got settled in, my health gradually started to get better. After afew months, I decided find a church to go to. I wanted a Baptist church, like the one I found in Redding. I checked out about a half dozen churches, and I didnt find anything I liked. One day I went to a nice little Baptist church, and I liked it. I liked the pastor too. I was very impressed with the services, so I started going there. I talked to the Pastor after a Bible study one day. I ended up telling him about my sexuality, and he took it very well. He told me what the Bible says about it, but he didnt judge me or treat me any different. Since then hes always been very nice to me, and treats me like he would treat any other person in the church, and That really means alot to me. Weve had some good talks over the years. Even though I didnt go to church very often back then, I always went to that church when I went, and I considered it my church home.

At this point I was really feeling convicted for my sexuality. I even talked to Mike about abstaining, and since he was also a Christian,(even though he didnt have the same convictions I did) he respected my beliefs. It never lasted too long though. I was emotionally too weak to resist at that time in my life.

After afew years, Mike and I decided to move down to southern California to a small town out in the middle of the desert. After afew years we were able to buy a house in Bakersfield. I was 31 at the time. At this point, I was still feeling more convicted than ever, and I kept trying to abstain. I allowed Mike to get it elsewhere, which he often did. This arrangment worked for me, but I think thats when we started to drift apart.

My Dad .. In the fall of 2000, I got a call from my mom saying my dad was in the hospital dying from a cancer in his brain that he never even knew he had. It all happened so fast! I quickly went back home to say my goodbye, but he wasn’t conscious when I got there. He died two days later. I never mourned or shed a tear when he died. I admit he was a good person after he quit drinking, and I try to remember him that way. I’m left with unresolved feelings. Feelings about my younger years, and about the way he treated me. I did forgive him though. I knew I needed to, for my own sake.

A Sad End.. In the spring of 2002, My relationship with Mike sadly came to an end. I was devastated at the time, but little did I know this was going to open up a new chapter in my life, but for the time being, all I could do was to cut my losses and go back home to Washington.

A New Beginning.. I was about thirty three at the time, and I was unsure about where my life was going. I knew I couldnt function as a single person. I need the companionship. I had to find someone to share my life with. After four months of looking, I answered this guys ad on the internet. His name was Bill, and after afew letters and phone calls, I really liked him, so I went to Seattle and met him in person. We went on a trip to the zoo together, and after talking awhile, and getting to know each other, he told me he was a Christian. I was shocked to find another gay Christian! I ofcourse told him I was a Christian too, and the fact that we had that in common brought us together, and from that point, we totally hit it off. About a week after that I moved in with him in Seattle, and weve been together since. I didnt mention my convictions to him at first. I didnt want to scare him away, so I just accepted it as part of the relationship.

The Bible: A new World for me.. I noticed Bill always found time to read the Bible everyday. It inspidered me to started reading the Bible. It opened me upto a new world. I was finally able to see for myself what Gods word says. For the first time, I was able to read for my self about my salvation, and about other things. Thats when I really started to grow as a Christian. I still felt very sinful about some things Now that I was learning the Bible and learning the truth, I had no excuse.

Our New Home.. After afew years together, We decided to move to my home town, so we could be close to my mom and help her with things. She was getting up there in years, and Since My dad had died afew years before, she was having a hard time trying to take care of things. Our plan was to stay with my mom till we got our own place nearby, but due to some health problems my mother was having, we decided to live in the house with her till she got better, and then we never left. Its a nice arrangement. We have our own little apartment all to ourselves in the basement. My Mom just loves Bill too! The whole family does. Even my older brother. I believe it was Gods will that we live here with her to take care of her and the house. Im really glad that God could use both me and Bill to serve another persons needs like this.

Giving up the Sin.. At this point I was ready to try abstaining again. I talked to Bill about it, and Although he doesnt feel as strongly about it as me, he agreed to do this with me. I even talked to my my pastor about it. I told him my situation. He agreed that it was just the sexual act thats a sin, not the companionship itsself. He was still concerned about how close Bill and I are emotionally, but if theres nothing “physical” going on, theres no sin in being together. He just prettymuch confirmed what I already thought.

From that point, we both gave up this sin and started living a celibate lifestyle. That was in 2004, and since then Ive really been able to grow my walk with God. I was afraid at first that the absence of intimacy would change the nature of My relationship with Bill. I figured from that point only time will tell.

Despite what some Christians like to think, I dont expect my sexuality to change. Thats was never my goal. I dont think people choose their sexuality. The extremely low success rate of Exodus (the ex-gay movement) is proof of that. If someone struggling with this wants to try to be heterosexual when they know thats not what they are, thats their foolishness. I think the only logical option for a someone struggles with this, and wants to live right by God, is to just abstain. Its that simple.

When I wrote this I had no idea what other Christians, or other gay people would think of my situation. Of Course I dont apply my beliefs on this matter to anyone other than myself. In otherwards I dont judge others. I think its upto the Holy Spirit to convict people of whatever theyre sins are.

Im thankful for all the support I have from my family, from Bill and his family, and from our friends. I feel blessed to have all this support. My goal is to put God first in my life, and be the best Christian, and the best person I can be. I give all my thanks and glory to God.

I hope this blog is useful for those who struggle with homosexuality, and especially Christians who choose to remain ignorant about it. Either way, I hope people will learn something from this, whether its about sexuality, about God, or even about themselves

Theres other parts to my Testimony:

The Misfit

My Church

P

Powemm

Z,
Wow! god is doing some amazing work in you! I'm so happy for your new found relationship in Him... As we are ALL a good work in progress ... I'm praying for you and your continued growth in all His amazing wonder ... he made you, you are his righteous heir, adopted into His kingdom... he sings praises over you and everything He is has already been put in you.... He has made no one like you before, nor will he ever again... You are created out if his uniqueness ... a gift unfolding to many... thank you for sharing what God is doing in your life... I enjoyed reading your testimony ...
Michelle

S

snowdrop19

Thankyou for sharing your testimony. It has helped me to understand the particular struggles gay people have to deal with. Its great that you found a Minister who was with you where you're at. That's such a blessing. Your story is so encouraging.

B

Brighthouse

Thanks for your testimony brother. There are 2 scriptures which come to mind for me after reading what you wrote,NO!!! fear not, no judgment scriptures!! LOL For the children of our Lord Jesus we have no stones to throw anymore at anyone!! amen! scripture 1. Matt 10:35-42 and Matt 19:10-12 The first scripture is a reminder of the second one.

I had a brother who was gay himself,so I understand somewhat what a person can go through. He found out this to be true of his life,since he was very much like you are. If one does not seperate from the sin they are looking to,in time, they will commit that sin again,and again,this cannot be helped because you yourself are tempting yourself beyond what you can truly handle.

You tell yourself you can,and our mind as well and you truly at times believe this,but that never works bro. When one has any idol before them,of any kind,that is what a person can only see.And every time they see this idol,they are first reminded by the enemy why that idol is there in the first place.He says go ahead, and yeild, no one will know,and remember you gave your life to Jesus, he will forgive you anyway!

While this half truth is half true,the enemy does not tell you the consequence for the act either! You find your mind and body helpless to the temptation,you then blame you own weakness, and pass it off,but while we do that brother,we suffer greatly because of this.I know I did with women! Same principle different sex is all.

The idol of sex, no matter which gender is both very emotional,and very gripping.It is a bondage and weight so hard to remove from us bro.In fact, we ourselfs cannot! I looked to do everything I could for mine!! LOLThe end result was becomeing isolated to my Lord,because of the consequence of my own actions.I lost by belief that God's Blood was enough for my sins.And THAT!!! is excatly what the enemy wanted me to do!

So I did a very hard and difficult action.Was God indeed more important to my very life, then anyone else is? And if so,how then could the Lord help me through such an emotional rollercoaster in my own flesh? We know the Lord loves us,but we as humans have a great need for that love to be felt,and comforted both in our bodies and our own mind. I am 59 now,and many times ask the lord if I am not ready yet for any kind of wife?hehe Or even like you a campanion?

But then scripture one hits me.Where are you, that I am not at? Where do you go, where I Jesus do not go with you,and who says to you I do not give my grace and love to you every single day? Who tells you not to speak to me,and who better then you, tells you i do not answer my children as well? I have found good brother, that Jesus is not a head game,Jesus is not just an idea we make to get by in our own lives.

Jesus is a person,who though unseen many times, even most times,is indeed with you!For Jesus Christ abides in you!( john 14:23) All through out the word of God,God's anger has been kindled at just one fault of man or woman!! To believe him! I do not wish to write to long for you,but because this is so important, please let me share a few more things with you bro, if I may please.

Please look at gen 2:16-17 he told man, and man was to believe what his own creater said! But he did not brother.After the Lord told him this, he looked to comfort the man by giving him a wife,this was a reward for the times God himself was not always present with the man. Man then was content,at least for a while. He gave names to the animals,and God from man gave him woman which man himself called her!( gen 2:19-25)

Chapter 3 The temptation! The lie told to woman in verse 4 the devil spoke words to Eve that made her think! YEA!!! This is possible is it not? God just does not want me as wise as he is!! I do not believe him anymore so I will eat! I am sure Eve told Adam why it is that she ate of the tree first,and told him the same lie she was told by the devil. Now why then were they fearful?? verse8-10) Because there was no fear before this action of unbelief!

God was mad at Adam because he decided to believe his own wife,over his own God! Not because of the act itself, but rather because of unbelief!( verse 17!) Adam and Eve were driven out of the garden forever!! No more eternal life for either! Because they sinned such a great sin, the sin of unbelief, both now must, and would die!There would be no way back to the garden for either!( 3:23-24!)

Since the beginning of time good brother the sin of unbelief has always been present. It has not, nor even can go away! God granted this will for all of us to believe in him,or not to believe.There is no scripture ever saying,God believes for the believer! Because if he did that,he would go against his own free will so long ago in the garden!

We sure sometimes wish God would also do this for us,he did everything else for us!! But both man and woman must decide to believe for themselves.The reward for such belief is eternal life,while the result for unbelief is hell.Hell in both mind a body! An overcomer is a believer no matter what happenes in there life,no matter what another says,or even does to them.

An unbeliever is both a coward and a lier! Strong words I know! Look at rev 21:6-8 for confimation please.) So now we have come full circle brother.What do you believe? Only you my good brother can answer such a question,but take good care in that answer!For by your answer you shall reep everything you sow!( gal 6:7-10!!)

I have decided myself to believe brother.I have made this decison through some great hardship! But i know my reward as well! Never being cast away from my Jesus!! Jesus never having any cause to witness my unbelief in him! These things my good brother I was taught! And i was taught by Holy Spirit himself!( 1 john 2:27)

I have no such knowledge myself of these things!! LOl Are you kidding me??? LOL I pass this to you,so you yourself can either bear witness that what Jesus has told me is also true for you. If you believe it is, then you will follow,and if you believe it is not, then something will follow you. Whatever a man sows that shall he also reep!

My you consdier these words good brother,for i have sent this in great love both to you,and to others who may care to read this!! Finally!! Please read 2 tim, it is only 4 chapters,but from this, you shall see many confimations from the Lord in you, as I have spoken from the Lord inside of me. God bless you brother!! In Chrsit your friend, and brother in Christ mark

K

kip-s

Yes, this has helped opened my understanding about what the gay people face and how they feel about their sexuality. I believe it's not just something they can put under control. But to put God first in our lives and to seek Him in all we do, that's true Christianity!!

Thanks for sharing this. I may be sharing it with some of my friends.

V

VTHokie

That is an amazing story and I don't know how I would have handled something like that. I too had an abusive father, and even though it was emotional abuse, it scarred my heart and continues to impact me everyday. Just like you however, I look to God for strength and trust that if He brought me to it, He will get me through it.

L

Logan

There is nothing wrong with being a fag. It's okay

E

emarie

This is a beautiful testimony. <3

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Wow brother all praise and glory to our king. It makes no differencewho we are Jesus loves and sacrificed Himself for us, I didn't have yourparticular struggles but I had my own set of struggles to get through as well.He is so GREAT!!!! Thanks for sharing brother.

Nov 30, 2012
Thank you for writing this. I too am celibate and abstain from sexual relations and from any sexual acts, be they imagination or reality. Many have attacked me for the position that I believe we are called to abstain for the Kingdom's sake, but it is nice to know another was led by Christ to this conclusion as well.