Fruit of the Spirit: Love

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

musiclover123

Sep 6, 2009
The word most often translated as love in the New Testament is 'agape'.
his word can mean benevolence, good will, or esteem toward another person, but properly it is the love which centers in moral preference. It is rooted in the word 'agapao', which means 'to prefer'.

This word is used to demonstrate the divine Love of God and Christ toward us, as well as our returned love toward God. It is also used to describe the love that we should demonstrate as Christians toward others.

This is placed first in the list of Spiritual fruit in Galatians 5, but it is not evident that Paul believed Love was of more importance than any of the other fruit. Even so, his feelings on this are portrayed in other verses.

In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul contrasts Love with the Spiritual gifts, saying that without love they are nothing. He also shows the character of Love (what it should look like), as well as that it is more important than even the faith and hope of a believer (which are both necessary to believe at all).

It makes sense that Love is placed in a high position, because nearly everything else we do as a Christian requires this fruit to be present. When writing of the importance of love to the community life in Colossians 3:12-14, he says that above all else, put on love. It is the epitome of all other virtues.

Jesus Himself taught that the entire Law and all the writings of the Prophets hung on two commandments of Love. First, to love God completely, then to love others. Paul reflects this in Romans 13 when he injects Love into the context of the Law, showing that it is the sum of all duties. Not that Love ends the need for a Law, but that Love fulfills (performs and accomplishes) our duty to the Law.

In Ephesians 3:17-19 Paul speaks of being rooted and grounded in love, so that we would be able to comprehend the degree of God's love toward us, in order to be filled with the fullness of God.

I have heard it often said that it is impossible to Love with the same Love God has, because it is a divine characteristic. From everything else mentioned, we find that the Love God has for us is the same Love that He expects us to have for those around us. As Christians we are new creatures, with a new nature. With the Spirit of God inside of us, being formed in the image for God, we should be capable of Loving as Christ did.

A

Abiding

Romans 5:5 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because Gods love has been poured out into our hearts through the HolySpirit, who has been given to us.

For In Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but Faith which worketh by Love, GAL 5:6.

May 2, 2011
his word can mean benevolence, good will, or esteem toward another person, but properly it is the love which centers in moral preference. It is rooted in the word 'agapao', which means 'to prefer'.

This word is used to demonstrate the divine Love of God and Christ toward us, as well as our returned love toward God. It is also used to describe the love that we should demonstrate as Christians toward others.

This is placed first in the list of Spiritual fruit in Galatians 5, but it is not evident that Paul believed Love was of more importance than any of the other fruit. Even so, his feelings on this are portrayed in other verses.

... ... ...
I "prefer" to think of the FRUIT of the spirit as a singular whole rather than either multiple entities. The onion diagram does it best for me lacking a better metaphor (not the orange or grapefruit for me). Using the descriptions Paul and other Bible writers use in place of the descriptions in the graphic below helps me to think on it this way:

1 Timothy 5:21
I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

Agape is God's Love. Love in man's vocabulary can mean everthing pleasurable made by God without God.
In God Dwells All Agape for His Agape is Omnipotent and His Omnipotence is Agape All that He has eminates from Him to all that he created only exception is if one refuses to receive from Him His Omnipotent Agape.

May 2, 2011
agape [əˈgeɪp]adj (postpositive)
1. (esp of the mouth) wide open

2. very surprised, expectant, or eager, esp as indicated by a wide open mouth

Reference Link -->> agape - definition of agape by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

EYE POPPING -- JAW DROPPING AMAZEMENT ....

AMAZING LOVE, HOW CAN IT BE THAT THOU MY GOD SHOULDST DIE FOR ME

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9I87nVp040[/video]

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

I "prefer" to think of the FRUIT of the spirit as a singular whole rather than either multiple entities. The onion diagram does it best for me lacking a better metaphor (not the orange or grapefruit for me). Using the descriptions Paul and other Bible writers use in place of the descriptions in the graphic below helps me to think on it this way:

1 Timothy 5:21
I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

Praise the Lord of Perfect Fruit bearing in us.
Light heartedly, i do not and have not ever seen myself as an onion. I can relate to out of the abundance of the center of my being flows out of the mouth life and death either one flows out of us, if we hear life flow out of our heart and mouth we will eat consume life (fruit of spirit0 if we flow out of our hearts and mouth death then we will eat(comsume spiritually) death.

Dec 14, 2009

In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul contrasts Love with the Spiritual gifts, saying that without love they are nothing. He also shows the character of Love (what it should look like), as well as that it is more important than even the faith and hope of a believer (which are both necessary to believe at all).

It makes sense that Love is placed in a high position, because nearly everything else we do as a Christian requires this fruit to be present. When writing of the importance of love to the community life in Colossians 3:12-14, he says that above all else, put on love. It is the epitome of all other virtues.

Jesus Himself taught that the entire Law and all the writings of the Prophets hung on two commandments of Love. First, to love God completely, then to love others. Paul reflects this in Romans 13 when he injects Love into the context of the Law, showing that it is the sum of all duties. Not that Love ends the need for a Law, but that Love fulfills (performs and accomplishes) our duty to the Law.

In Ephesians 3:17-19 Paul speaks of being rooted and grounded in love, so that we would be able to comprehend the degree of God's love toward us, in order to be filled with the fullness of God.

I have heard it often said that it is impossible to Love with the same Love God has, because it is a divine characteristic. From everything else mentioned, we find that the Love God has for us is the same Love that He expects us to have for those around us. As Christians we are new creatures, with a new nature. With the Spirit of God inside of us, being formed in the image for God, we should be capable of Loving as Christ did.
As a basis, we are made unto like God's image.

I can safely say Paul's definition of love is a love that we can have, but also the love that God has. Personified by Jesus attitude and actions.