Frustrated

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
I am a member of a very small church. As such, everyone needs to be committed to the church to make it work. I have lately been frustrated that so few people seem to take their commitment to spiritual growth/Christian walk/church attendance seriously. There is an apathy and malaise, and I simply do not understand the lack of endeavor to spiritual growth. Why are these people not serious about their faith?

Any clues?

Dec 19, 2009
I am a member of a very small church. As such, everyone needs to be committed to the church to make it work. I have lately been frustrated that so few people seem to take their commitment to spiritual growth/Christian walk/church attendance seriously. There is an apathy and malaise, and I simply do not understand the lack of endeavor to spiritual growth. Why are these people not serious about their faith?

Any clues?
It would be hard to know without being there. My own personal belief is that church leaders need to obey the commandments of the Lord to attract new members, or keep present members. This is what most people are looking for in their church leaders. Too many churches go in the opposite direction and try attract church members by relaxing their standards. Look at how many churches now condone same-sex marriage, for instance.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
No, that is not the problem. We just have stagnant spiritual growth (and therefore stagnant member growth) and I feel that so many people just don't take it as seriously as I do. And I don't think I'm so super-serious, ya know?

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Resurrection hit the nail on the head, but I think it has to do more than just the leaders of that church. It goes all the way down to you... Do you honestly think you are committed to the church??? Do you make every effort to help you and your church grow? And not just sit by thinking it's not my job...

Having a good church takes work not only from your pastor or the elders... But all the way to the children to the person who is on their death bed. I know that sounds extreme, but I believe that is true...

Its like your whole church wants to get really big muscles... So you guys all go to the gym, you can't get big muscles by watching one man work out... You won't ever get big muscles by lifting a weight every so often when it seems easy... No it takes hard work and perseverance by you... And the bigger your muscles get the easier it is to help someone up and put them back on the weights...

(And if your group is not willing to work out and lift those weights, but they just sit around watching others and you have tried everything to make it work, it might be a good time for you to find a new one)

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
This is my frustration -- I am 110% committed to the church -- not just a pew sitter! But it seems the rest of the congregation doesn't want to do the heavy lifting, so to speak. Not willing to put the work in. Not willing to get their hands dirty.

So, perhaps, it IS time for me to re-visit my commitment to the church and look elsewhere. The only problem is I don't live in an area with a Bible-believing church on every corner!

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
And I LOVE your analogy of the weight-lifting! It is so right on!

Dec 19, 2009
No, that is not the problem. We just have stagnant spiritual growth (and therefore stagnant member growth) and I feel that so many people just don't take it as seriously as I do. And I don't think I'm so super-serious, ya know?
You will need to find a way to challenge them to do better. Or did you know that already?

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
What is a church???

A church is the body of Christ.... We are the church, Maybe God put you in a situation where you can start a home study, or rent out a building...

Or maybe God wants you to drive to another church every Sunday...

Not to be mean, but in some places people risk their lives to go to church... Why should we complain about driving 15-30 miles... (that's how close the next town is in my area).

Or maybe, just maybe God has put it on your heart to help those who have became lukewarm...

I have recently been lifted out of a state of being lukewarm, and I can tell you... Thank God for my church for helping me out... Thank God!