Genesis 1-11 is it important?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
How important are the first chapters of Genesis or, are they important to our understanding of God, scripture and ourselves?

R

RachelBibleStudent

they are the foundation for everything else in the bible...

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Isn't Christ the foundation for everything else In the Bible? I see Genesis 1 - 11 as showing humanity's earliest need for Christ.

May 15, 2013
How important are the first chapters of Genesis or, are they important to our understanding of God, scripture and ourselves?
Genesis 1 1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty,darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

John 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Gen 1 6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so.8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

John 4 13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Gen 1 11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

Matthew 7:17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.

Gen 1 14And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Matthew 13:49
This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous

Gen 2 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Rev 21 6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victoriouswill inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

L

Laodicea

Why would anyone think they are not important? Take away those chapters and much meaning is taken away.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Every foundational principle for life and man's relationship to God and creation is found within the first 11 chapter of Genesis. They are profoundly important.

T

ThomasLady

As St. Augustine found, Genesis as well as the rest of the bible only reveal their message if you understand metaphysics, especially understanding that our Universe is only a portion of the totality of existence, and things represented as objects in time (including people), are not real among this totality. Spacetime is an invention of neural networks meant to support survival of the individual and species in this imaginary universe. That is why the bible (or the words created by the authors of the bible) is not enough to sway the multitude to faith....it leaves out the underlying science and philosophy, or expresses it in poetic confusing ways.