George Washington the Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
George Washington is well known as the first President of the United States, Commander of the Continental Army and Founding Father of the United States. But what is less commonly known is that he was a Christian, a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. While he was on the battlefield he carried a notebook of prayers written in his own hand that reveal his humility before God and faith in Christ. Here are a few quotes from that notebook.

“Let my heart, therefore, gracious God be so affected with the glory and majesty of (Thine honor) that I may not do mine own works, but wait on Thee, and discharge those weighty duties which Thou requirest of me….”
__________​
“O most glorious God … I acknowledge and confess my faults; in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of sins, but so coldly and carelessly that my prayers are become my sin and stand in need of pardon. I have heard Thy holy word, but with such deadness of spirit that I have been an unprofitable and forgetful hearer …. But, O God, who art rich in mercy and plenteous in redemption, mark not, I beseech Thee, what I have done amiss; remember that I am but dust, and remit my transgressions, negligences and ignorances, and cover them all with the absolute obedience of Thy dear Son, that those sacrifices (of sin, praise and thanksgiving) which I have offered may be accepted by Thee, in and for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ offered upon the Cross for me.”
__________​
“Direct my thoughts, words and work, wash away my sins in the immaculate Blood of the Lamb, and purge my heart by Thy Holy Spirit … daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son Jesus Christ.”
__________​
“Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me; and hast given me assurance of salvation, upon my repentance and sincerely endeavoring to conform my life to His holy precepts and example.”

This material is from the book “The Light and the Glory” by Peter Marshall and David Manuel, published by Revell, c1977. For those of you who enjoy reading history this is a great book on the spiritual aspects of early American history. I highly recommend it.

In His Grace,

Pemican