GLOSSARY of Paleo Hebrew and so on...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chopper

Nov 8, 2014
Lord comes from the Hebrew word baal. Wonder what Name Elijah used, when he called down fire from Heaven?
Now you may understand why it is written in both the old and renewed covenants;
Jer 23:27 Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

Rom 2:22 Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?
Rom 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou YHWH?
Rom 2:24 For the name of YHWH is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

E

eternally-gratefull

Now you may understand why it is written in both the old and renewed covenants;
ok a few questions.

1. I Jeremiah. Did they forget Gods name, and replace it with Baal?
2. Since romans was written in Greek. where do you get the words YHWH?

E

eternally-gratefull

The part you translated to mean lord God is incorrect, which is actually two titles one right after the other, and no name mentioned.

YHWH Elohim is to mean Yahuwah Mighty One
and you get this where?
elohime is the word used.

K

Karraster

The spirit that holds the world hostage does not want you to learn or understand Hebrew. Why?

Chopper

Nov 8, 2014
ok a few questions.

1. I Jeremiah. Did they forget Gods name, and replace it with Baal?
2. Since romans was written in Greek. where do you get the words YHWH?
1. The practice of the Sanhedrin was to suppress anyone saying the name of Yah except the high priest within the temple at that time, and it was only allowed that it was a Jewish priest to do so. They went so far as to preventing people from saying the names of Yah as you see today in the common bible translations where the names of Yah have been replaced with the titles of "God" and 'Lord".

You will also find that it is also part of the additional man-made laws by the Sanhedrin that added where if anyone who is not a Jew and speaks the names of Yah, they should be executed by decapitation, also known as the noahide laws, which are part of the laws created by the Sanhedrin, and are not founded on biblical principals.

2. The original language of the renewed covenant was Hebrew, not Greek, as that was their native language. It was translated to Greek so that the Gentiles might learn of the Word of Yah.

Chopper

Nov 8, 2014
and you get this where?
elohime is the word used.
Pardon me if I did not use the exact wording or spelling as you implied, for I am simply used to saying it as Elohim, with a capital E and no e at the end, because the one without the capital e refers to other mighty ones.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
For those of you who want to understand the scriptures get a translation in a language that you are comfortable with and use it.

E

eternally-gratefull

1. The practice of the Sanhedrin was to suppress anyone saying the name of Yah except the high priest within the temple at that time, and it was only allowed that it was a Jewish priest to do so. They went so far as to preventing people from saying the names of Yah as you see today in the common bible translations where the names of Yah have been replaced with the titles of "God" and 'Lord".

You will also find that it is also part of the additional man-made laws by the Sanhedrin that added where if anyone who is not a Jew and speaks the names of Yah, they should be executed by decapitation, also known as the noahide laws, which are part of the laws created by the Sanhedrin, and are not founded on biblical principals.

2. The original language of the renewed covenant was Hebrew, not Greek, as that was their native language. It was translated to Greek so that the Gentiles might learn of the Word of Yah.
1st, I can agree with.

the second I am confused, the nt was written to greek speaking people. not hebrew (although yes some spoke hebrew, yet all people in the roman era spoke greek, it was the language of the people. as well as a very good language, unlike english.

E

eternally-gratefull

Pardon me if I did not use the exact wording or spelling as you implied, for I am simply used to saying it as Elohim, with a capital E and no e at the end, because the one without the capital e refers to other mighty ones.
that still does not explain how got the translation you did. My spelling mistake does not change what I asked.

El'ohime is plural for the word God. it is used of The God of heaven, pagan gods, even angels at times are called gods. (elohim)

Karraster said the word baal was lord. Bit as I pointed out. every where I look, baal is translated baal.

also. yhwh is translated lord. or Iam. and Elohim is translated God.

also. Was capitol letters used in Hebrew?

Chopper

Nov 8, 2014
that still does not explain how got the translation you did. My spelling mistake does not change what I asked.

El'ohime is plural for the word God. it is used of The God of heaven, pagan gods, even angels at times are called gods. (elohim)

Karraster said the word baal was lord. Bit as I pointed out. every where I look, baal is translated baal.

also. yhwh is translated lord. or Iam. and Elohim is translated God.

also. Was capitol letters used in Hebrew?
I have already explained this where YHWH does NOT mean Lord of any type. YHWH is the NAME of our Father in heaven, and it is not a title. When pronounced, it sounds like this; Yahuwah, where some cause the u to sound semi-silent.

Elohim, or elohim is a title meaning god or mighty one.

Baal means Lord, and you will find this to be true if you search where they have not tried to hide that fact.

As for the capital letters in the biblical translations, that's why when referring to our Father in heaven, or the three as one, it is always started with a capital letter, where other gods are lesser and always start with lower case when using the word elohim. As far as I know for upper case and lower case Hebrew, it did not exist.

E

eternally-gratefull

I have already explained this where YHWH does NOT mean Lord of any type. YHWH is the NAME of our Father in heaven, and it is not a title. When pronounced, it sounds like this; Yahuwah, where some cause the u to sound semi-silent.
Back to this again.

Yhwh is what he said, and the actual pronunciation has been lost. Your making alot of assumptions here.

YHWH is his hebrew name, He has a greek name and names in many cultures. We do not even know what Adam called him, as I tried to show in another thread.

Elohim, or elohim is a title meaning god or mighty one.
Again, where did you get mighty one, I have looked up the word. and do not see this.

Baal means Lord, and you will find this to be true if you search where they have not tried to hide that fact.
Search what? the bible? every time the word baal is used, the lord is never translated.

Baal was the name of a pagan God that demanded virgins be sacrificed to him. that is why God was so angry at Israel for worshiping him.

As for the capital letters in the biblical translations, that's why when referring to our Father in heaven, or the three as one, it is always started with a capital letter, where other gods are lesser and always start with lower case when using the word elohim. As far as I know for upper case and lower case Hebrew, it did not exist.
so your getting picky, and getting on my case just because I did not capitol a letter. even though you knew what I meant,

thats called being judgmental or legalistic.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Back to this again.

Yhwh is what he said, and the actual pronunciation has been lost. Your making alot of assumptions here
Yod, Hey, Waw, Hey

The Encyclopedia Judaica, Volume 7, page 680
The true pronunciation of the name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced "Yahweh". This is confirmed, at least for the vowel of the first syllable of the name, by the shorter form Yah, which is sometimes used in poetry (e.g., Ex. 15:2) and the -yahu or -yah that serves as the final syllable in very many Hebrew names.

E

eternally-gratefull

Yod, Hey, Waw, Hey

The true pronunciation of the name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced "Yahweh". This is confirmed, at least for the vowel of the first syllable of the name, by the shorter form Yah, which is sometimes used in poetry (e.g., Ex. 15:2) and the -yahu or -yah that serves as the final syllable in very many Hebrew names.

so these people were there in moses day?

Many languages change, Greek today is not like greek 2000 years ago. not even the english languags is the same.

i think it would be easy to understand the hebrew in Moses day was not the hebrew in jesus day, languages are always changing. as cutures and people effect them.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Yod, Hey, Waw, Hey

so these people were there in moses day?

Many languages change, Greek today is not like greek 2000 years ago. not even the english languags is the same.

i think it would be easy to understand the hebrew in Moses day was not the hebrew in jesus day, languages are always changing. as cutures and people effect them.
No silly, it said, "Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church "

The followers of Messiah used His name, Messiah Himself said it as He stormed off the temple mount, the last "major" thing He did before He was captured.

Mattithyah 23:39, "For I say to you: From this moment you will not see Me, until you say: Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of Yahweh!"

So it was still being pronounced after Messiah's Sacrifice, Paul even wrote it one single time in Corinthians.

E

eternally-gratefull

No silly, it said, "Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church "

The followers of Messiah used His name, Messiah Himself said it as He stormed off the temple mount, the last "major" thing He did before He was captured.

Mattithyah 23:39, "For I say to you: From this moment you will not see Me, until you say: Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of Yahweh!"

So it was still being pronounced after Messiah's Sacrifice, Paul even wrote it one single time in Corinthians.
Matthew 23:39New King James Version (NKJV)

39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Matthew 23:39King James Version (KJV)

39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Matthew 23:39New American Standard Bible (NASB)

39 For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

Matthew 23:39New International Version (NIV)

39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’[a]”

as for origional language.

He who comes in the name of the LORD
ὁ ἐρχόμενος ἐν ὀνόματι Κυρίου

so not sure where you get yhwh at

Chopper

Nov 8, 2014
As some of you may choose to try and debate light as given or revealed to me according to my own study, that is not the purpose of this topic, but rather to entice the reader to do their own research themselves as stated.

... for those of you who are interested in studying the language that was spoken in that day for better understanding of words found in scripture.