Gluttony...a sin we would rather ignore?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hattiebod

I decided to post this as ~I had mentioned it on another thread but it was not picked up. Was it deliberately avoided? perhaps but thats a choice. So, here goes: We, as Christians, do have some divisive issues, such as head covering for women, that we believe we 'must do' because God tells us too and to be disobedient in these things is a lack of faith and discernment. So we sit on other sides of the fence and fling scriptures at each other :) So, what about obesity? in the west we have a serious problem, even pastors can be of gargantuan proportions. As I said on a thread, when i became a Christian I was convicted of my weight, not to cover my head! I learnt that as the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit I maybe ought to look after it, also I could not do the work the Lord called me to do or be such a strong witness if I was overweight. So, in His strength and with a lot of hard work, I am now a 'normal' weight, having lost 5 stone. When I was reading scriptures regarding this it was interesting for me to read in the Bible that there is more written against Gluttony, than there is against homosexuality!! IF you accept that, why are so many Christians not passionately involved in encouraging others to give up the 'Glutton Lifestyle'....Just a thought.....<><

P

psychomom

Hattie, I'm pleased about your weight loss. :)

Just thought it worth a mention that not all overweight people are guilty of gluttony.
I worked for my doc for 8 years and saw patients who were in despair over it.

Men beyond frustrated from weight gain caused by meds.
Post menopausal women who ate one meal a day and exercised and could not lose weight, weeping.

I, too, had to lose weight at one point (gained from taking prednisone for 6 months), but being overweight taught me to deal compassionately with those of us who are still in it.

So...gluttony--bad! And ALL forms of it, not just overeating.
But dealing with people as individuals--good. :)

love,
ellie

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
To add i know slim people that can out eat larger people than them....

Though of course overeating is not good for us it can also be a cry for help for some.

Compassion and understanding.

Last edited:
K

Kefa52

I decided to post this as ~I had mentioned it on another thread but it was not picked up. Was it deliberately avoided? perhaps but thats a choice. So, here goes: We, as Christians, do have some divisive issues, such as head covering for women, that we believe we 'must do' because God tells us too and to be disobedient in these things is a lack of faith and discernment. So we sit on other sides of the fence and fling scriptures at each other :) So, what about obesity? in the west we have a serious problem, even pastors can be of gargantuan proportions. As I said on a thread, when i became a Christian I was convicted of my weight, not to cover my head! I learnt that as the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit I maybe ought to look after it, also I could not do the work the Lord called me to do or be such a strong witness if I was overweight. So, in His strength and with a lot of hard work, I am now a 'normal' weight, having lost 5 stone. When I was reading scriptures regarding this it was interesting for me to read in the Bible that there is more written against Gluttony, than there is against homosexuality!! IF you accept that, why are so many Christians not passionately involved in encouraging others to give up the 'Glutton Lifestyle'....Just a thought.....<><
If our relationship with God is about following a bunch of rules we are missing the whole point of the Gospel.

Is it "I obey therefore I am accepted by God?" or is it " I am accepted by God through Christ: therefore I desire to obey?"

It is one thing to understand the Gospel but is quite another to experience the Gospel in a way that it changes us. Looking at our walk with Christ and changing ourselves for a better witness is experiencing the Gospel.

Thank You, Hattiebod for your witness.

K

Kefa52

Hattie, I'm pleased about your weight loss. :)

Just thought it worth a mention that not all overweight people are guilty of gluttony.
I worked for my doc for 8 years and saw patients who were in despair over it.

Men beyond frustrated from weight gain caused by meds.
Post menopausal women who ate one meal a day and exercised and could not lose weight, weeping.

I, too, had to lose weight at one point (gained from taking prednisone for 6 months), but being overweight taught me to deal compassionately with those of us who are still in it.

So...gluttony--bad! And ALL forms of it, not just overeating.
But dealing with people as individuals--good. :)

love,
ellie
Very good point. That is why we don't judge other people. We all have something to deal with. Weight is just one of the things we can see.
I put on a few pounds over the winter. Not a problem because I will drop it easly. I just don't eat as much. Weight loss is easy for me.
For me I battle cigarettes. I am off the smokes now but I have to watch myself. I have started up again in the past. I have a love hate relationship with smoking.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
:) So, what about obesity? in the west we have a serious problem, even pastors can be of gargantuan proportions. As I said on a thread, when i became a Christian I was convicted of my weight, not to cover my head! I learnt that as the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit I maybe ought to look after it, also I could not do the work the Lord called me to do or be such a strong witness if I was overweight. So, in His strength and with a lot of hard work, I am now a 'normal' weight, having lost 5 stone. When I was reading scriptures regarding this it was interesting for me to read in the Bible that there is more written against Gluttony, than there is against homosexuality!! IF you accept that, why are so many Christians not passionately involved in encouraging others to give up the 'Glutton Lifestyle'....Just a thought.....<><
Good for you that you've lost that weight through God's strength!! Praise God.

Whether obesity be caused by meds, post menopause etc, the most important factor that we have to consider is our conduct.
Do we overeat and eat like gluttons.
- If we eat like that behind close doors, even though no one sees us but our Father in heaven sees us.
- If we eat like that when we are in front of people, what kind of witness are we for Christ?

Gluttony is an addiction just like cigarrettes, alcohol and with God's help, anyone can overcome it but first the person has to want to change and make that decision.
For a person wanting to encourage or help the obese person, this can be a tough one cause it be offensive to the obese person
especially when that person has not acknowledged the issue.
This is something personal and sensitive and with prayers, God can open doors for a christian brother or sister to encourage those seeking help.

Last edited:

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
:) So, what about obesity? in the west we have a serious problem, even pastors can be of gargantuan proportions. As I said on a thread, when i became a Christian I was convicted of my weight, not to cover my head! I learnt that as the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit I maybe ought to look after it, also I could not do the work the Lord called me to do or be such a strong witness if I was overweight. So, in His strength and with a lot of hard work, I am now a 'normal' weight, having lost 5 stone. When I was reading scriptures regarding this it was interesting for me to read in the Bible that there is more written against Gluttony, than there is against homosexuality!! IF you accept that, why are so many Christians not passionately involved in encouraging others to give up the 'Glutton Lifestyle'....Just a thought.....<><
Good for you that you've lost that weight through God's strength!! Praise God.

Whether obesity be caused by meds, post menopause etc, the most important factor that we have to consider is our conduct.
Do we overeat and eat like gluttons.
- If we eat like that behind close doors, even though no one sees us but our Father in heaven sees us.
- If we eat like that when we are in front of people, what kind of witness are we for Christ?

Gluttony is an addiction just like cigarrettes, alcohol and with God's help, anyone can overcome it but first the person has to want to change and make that decision.
For a person wanting to encourage or help the obese person, this can be a tough one cause it be offensive to the obese person
especially when that person has not acknowledged the issue.
This is something personal and sensitive and with prayers, God can open doors for a christian brother or sister to encourage those seeking help/change.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I find it funny when you have a pastor with his belly hanging well out over his pants yelling about drinking a beer will send someone to hell.

Aug 25, 2012
I find it funny when you have a pastor with his belly hanging well out over his pants yelling about drinking a beer will send someone to hell.
That's pretty funny, but this one takes the cake (pun intended!) I saw once on a churches reader board say "All you can eat!" to lure in the glutenous crowd i reckon.

P

psychomom

is it safe to say gluttony extends well beyond food?
i think so.

anything we don't cry out to the Lord to avoid in excess...
it can even be something 'good'.

for one guy i know, it's spending inordinate amounts of time at the gym. :)
(HE says this, not i)

Feb 11, 2012
Good post, and you are right, there are many who profess Christ and are in the ministry who are grosssly overweight, and are addicted to eating thousands of calories a day, thus feeding their addiction.

Many feel sorry for the obese, as I am a medical professional, and am exposed to many morbid obese people every day, some can bearly walk!

But what kind of a witness does an obese minister have, when their God is their belly????

The scriptures cut to the heart, but man has sugar coated it, so they can be tolorant of those caught in addiction and sin that leads to spiritual death, its all be nice, and God accepts them IN their sins and rebellion etc..

I lost 30 pounds and was convicted of my eating habits, as I workout out, hike, and walk, and am fit and healthy, but was eating alot to maintain my bulk and mass, but this was wrong, I repented of it, and now eat a modest diet, enjoying a hearty meal on occasion of the foods I crave, but then get right back to my normal eating plan, maintaining a normal BMR.

Its a balance I guess, but God created us to be healthy, spiritually first, then keep our dying bodies in reasonable shape as they are our temples of the holy spirit of God!

Those who abuse this, and are obsese or highly overweight need to get right befor God, seek His help, repent and stop their food addiction, and live a self controlled life in the spirit!

Last edited:
P

purpledaisies80

Welll. In my opinion the reason gluttony is wrong is that it harms the person who is overindulging. It is a sin the same way anorexia is. When someone has an eating disorder of either gluttony or anorexia they are hating themselves. The Bible says Love your neighbour as YOURSELF. I know this first hand cos I battle daily with Binge eating disorder. It takes a constant submitting of oneself to God and is very tough.

D

dashadow

You make a great point. But my attempts to get between the wife and her food is life-threatening. :)

D

dashadow

Well, maybe not life-threatening. :)

N

nonicknametouse

Hi, I agree with all you said. I too was convicted about what I eat and have lost my first 10 lbs. I have about 40 to go but want to loose it slow and right, so i don't gain it back. It is a lifestyle change and is a lot of work, but can be done in the Lord strength. When God lead the Istraelites out of Egypt and they were in the dessert He fed them manna which rained down from above. He told the people take what you can eat , no more , no less or it would putrify. Exodus 16: 18-20. Even then over eating was unexceptable to the Lord. Thanks for this post.

Nov 26, 2012
I think you'd be surprised if you calculated the calories consumed of some large people and compared it with smaller. I know I eat more than some people at least 100lbs heavier than myself. Meanwhile I can easily maintain around 6% body fat and they are the ones looked down on for over eating. I'm very close to some extremely overweight people and I see first hand the struggle they endure. I think this needs to be a personal conviction sin because I'd be more guilty than most and obese people generally have more guilt about it than is already deserved.

R

RachelBibleStudent

eat to live...don't live to eat...