God and Hurricanes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
Who is to say when God punishes, and when He has other things in mind? None of us know, not even the fiery pastors, the ones who tell women they lost their baby because God punished them, know. These same pastors will tell you that a particular disaster is God’s way of punishing the people. But how would these pastors know?

Some of those pastors may claim that God spoke to them, and their audience responds with an “Ahhhh!” followed by congregants writhing on the floor. But if God speaks to us, why does He not tell those He’s punishing? Why would He just tell fiery pastors who do not tell us of God’s love for us, but instead looks to the next disaster, then proclaims God is punishing us, while the congregants open their wallets for them?

In actuality, we do not know what God had in mind. Proverbs 3:5 says to trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding, that is, do not draw conclusions concerning Him. The Bible tells us who God is and what He is capable of, but it provides no signs for us to discern when He is punishing us or what His other motives may be in particular situations. The closest it comes to predicting is the coming makeover of the world, when evil perishes and the righteous are swept up by God into His Kingdom.

So, in the meantime, we cannot say with certainty as to what God had on His mind. Consider that in Matthew 5:45, Jesus says, “…[God] makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

Why would He send rain on the just, if the rain was an issue? Some may infer that the rain that falls on the just is the rain that makes them fruitful in the things they grow in the field, while the rain falling on the unjust consists of the floods as He had done in Noah’s time. But we don’t know for sure, since in Mark 4:37-39 a great storm arises that threatens Jesus’ disciples who are out on a boat. Why would God threaten them if they are doing His work? As it turns out, Jesus tells the storm to be still, and the seas are calm again. Perhaps God is reinforcing what Jesus instructed them about Him., showing His might and that Jesus is His cherished son, but who knows?

A raging storm, with its wind and flooding does two things among many other things…it kills some and leaves the rest alive, including the righteous, whoever they are, to suffer the carnage. What is the meaning? Jesus, who was the most righteous man on earth, was made to suffer on the cross. The Bible tells us that he suffered for those who sinned, so they could be saved. If Jesus is made to suffer on the cross, is it possible that God has sent the damaging hurricanes to make even the righteous suffer for the sins of others on earth? Is this God’s way of calling attention to those who have sinned?

But that only makes sense to the extent that the righteous people, who, like Jesus, suffered and died, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

But for those who are still alive, what about them? As Deuteronomy 28:1 -6 promises that if we obey the voice of God He will bless us, the storms will blow over and those who so obeyed God will have their fortunes restored, like Job has his restored after he lost them. And be mindful that Jeremiah 29:11 promises us a future and a hope, and Romans 8:28 says that for those of us who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.

I am reminded of a story involving a catcher in a baseball game. In a tough game, he saw that his pitcher was stressed out, so he went out to the mound and told his pitcher, “Just think of the nice steak dinner I’ll buy you after the game when you get these guys out.” The pitcher came through.

I tell you that God has provided that those of us who love Him, and who are still around, whatever trials and tribulations are put on us, will ensure that good things await us.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
God does not cause evil... He allows it, but we don't know why.
He does not punish,,,He is all-good.

Hurricanes are a soft breeze gone bad.
All of creation awaits redemption.
Romans 8

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
I don't know for sure if the Most High uses natural disasters to punish but I do know the book of Revelation is full of the Most High's judgement and punishment upon evil ones.

Revelation 6:15-17, “And the sovereigns of the earth, and the great ones, and the rich ones, and the commanders, and the mighty, and every slave and every free one, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us (Hos 10:8) from the face of Him sitting on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb, because the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”

Psalm 2:1-12, “Why do the nations rage, And the peoples meditate emptiness? (Mat 4:25-26. See also Dan 2:44, Dan 7:13-28, Hag 2:22, Zec 14:9 and Rev 11:15) The sovereigns of the earth take their stand, And the rulers take counsel together, Against יהוה and against His Messiah, and say, Let us tear apart Their bonds, And throw away Their ropes from us. He who is sitting in the heavens laughs, יהוה mocks at them. Then He speaks to them in His wrath, And troubles them in His rage, saying, But I, I have set My Sovereign on Tsiyon, My set-apart mountain. I inscribe for a law: יהוה has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have brought You forth. Ask of Me, and I make the nations Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth Your possession. Break them with a rod of iron, Dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel. And now, be wise, O sovereigns; Be instructed, you rulers of the earth. Serve יהוה with fear, And rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son lest He be enraged, And you perish in the way, For soon His wrath is to be kindled. Blessed are all those taking refuge in Him.”

Revelation 19:11-16, “And I saw the heaven opened, and there was a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Trustworthy and True, and in righteousness He judges and fights. And His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns, having a Name that had been written, which no one had perceived except Himself and having been dressed in a robe dipped in blood and His Name is called: The Word of יהוה. And the armies in the heaven, dressed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. And out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations. And He shall shepherd them with a rod of iron. And He treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Strength Almighty. And on His robe and on His banner He has a name written: SOVEREIGN OF SOVEREIGNS AND MASTER OF MASTERS."

Apr 15, 2017
In the Old Testament God would punish on earth personally, as the case when Israel was rebellious, and Sodom and Gomorrah.

But in the New Testament we are under grace, and God commands all people everywhere to repent, and come to the truth, and be saved, and has given us the forgiveness of sins by Jesus.

We are under grace, and God wants all people to be saved, so it does not appear that God would punish people by natural disasters, for it would seem like it would violate grace, and God wants them to come to the truth, and be saved, but they happen naturally by nature, or as some people would believe the government causes them to happen by weather manipulation.

Which the United Nations has a UN weather weapon treaty which includes this, so they obviously believe weather manipulation can be done.

Declaration of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment,adopted at Stockholm on 16 June 1972.

Each State Party to this Convention undertakes not to engage in military or any other hostile use of environmental modification techniques having widespread, long-lasting or severe effects as the means of destruction, damage or injury to any other State Party.

Also it does not appear that any nation, or people, actually deserve to have natural disasters like a hurricane to go against them, for the world cannot get that crazy since everybody knows about each other.

Also we see a natural disaster hit one spot whose people are not as unruly then in another spot, but they are not hit by a natural disaster, the same as the wicked can have the liberty to be rich, and uncaring, and their lives are great, and are not punished, while the saints, and good people, struggle to make ends meet, and have trouble, and persecution.

So it does not make sense God is punishing these people over here, but these people over there are more wicked than them but no punishment comes upon them.

And do you notice a natural disaster only occurs in a place where it can occur, and there is people more wicked in another place, but no natural disaster goes against them for one cannot occur in that environment, so if God was punishing them He can make a natural disaster where ever He wants, or does He punish them another way.

So God is punishing people that do not deserve it as much as those other people, and letting the more evil ones off the hook, which does not make sense.

God allows things to run their natural course, and will only step in for good.

In the Old Testament God would protect Israel if they abided in the truth, and no enemy could go against them, and if they did without a doubt God would put them down, and that was a guarantee by God to Israel if they abided in the truth, and that is because it was a physical covenant, and the nation of Israel His nation.

Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

And this applies to those who abide in the truth, or not, that claim Christ, and it is spiritual in the New Testament, and Jesus said do not fear what they can do to the body, but can do no more, but fear God, so it is not a guarantee that God will deliver a saint from persecution.

The saints on earth are the truth, and represent the truth, and to persecute the saints is to go against God, and the truth, and to stop the Gospel, and hate the Gospel, and persecute the saints, is a great offense to God concerning their actions.

So the fact that the saints are persecuted, and some terrible persecution, and many hate the Gospel, and go against the saints, and nothing happens to them by way of some punishing act, gives testimony that God would not be punishing people by natural disasters, if the saints are persecuted and they get away with it without God going against them.

If God was punishing people, the Palestinians, and Arabs, would be hit, for to go against the Gospel and the saints is a terrible offense to God, but many go against the truth but we see no punishment upon them, but then some engage in a little fornication, and drinking alcohol, and smoking weed, but still have a reverence of God, and the Gospel, and they are hit by a hurricane and are punished.

Makes no sense.

Also we are at the end time when God said He is going to gather all nations together to follow the beast kingdom in Revelation, all the people that do not love God, so He can end this sin business on earth, and cause them to go against Israel then He will save Israel and defeat the world.

So God would not be punishing them for speaking one world government, and religious system, that will rebel against God for He is allowing it to happen.

Also sins would not cause God to punish them, for we are under grace, and God wants all to repent, and be saved.

Sins would not cause God to punish them.

Going against the saints, and the Gospel, would not cause God to punish them.

Being involved in wanting, and working for a one world government, and religious system, that will deceive the world that does not love God, and is contrary to God's operation on earth, would not cause God to punish them.

So why would God punish them.

But I believe God only touches us for good, and not evil, and things run their natural course, and God will step in for good, but I do not believe He is punishing anybody to cause them harm, although they would not have His protection if they reject the truth, but even the ones in the truth can get affected by the natural disasters and perish, although God might deliver them.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Same things happened to Job,Paul,Peter ect. were they punishment?

K

Karraster

Who is to say when God punishes, and when He has other things in mind? None of us know, not even the fiery pastors, the ones who tell women they lost their baby because God punished them, know. These same pastors will tell you that a particular disaster is God’s way of punishing the people. But how would these pastors know?

Some of those pastors may claim that God spoke to them, and their audience responds with an “Ahhhh!” followed by congregants writhing on the floor. But if God speaks to us, why does He not tell those He’s punishing? Why would He just tell fiery pastors who do not tell us of God’s love for us, but instead looks to the next disaster, then proclaims God is punishing us, while the congregants open their wallets for them?

In actuality, we do not know what God had in mind. Proverbs 3:5 says to trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding, that is, do not draw conclusions concerning Him. The Bible tells us who God is and what He is capable of, but it provides no signs for us to discern when He is punishing us or what His other motives may be in particular situations. The closest it comes to predicting is the coming makeover of the world, when evil perishes and the righteous are swept up by God into His Kingdom.

So, in the meantime, we cannot say with certainty as to what God had on His mind. Consider that in Matthew 5:45, Jesus says, “…[God] makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

Why would He send rain on the just, if the rain was an issue? Some may infer that the rain that falls on the just is the rain that makes them fruitful in the things they grow in the field, while the rain falling on the unjust consists of the floods as He had done in Noah’s time. But we don’t know for sure, since in Mark 4:37-39 a great storm arises that threatens Jesus’ disciples who are out on a boat. Why would God threaten them if they are doing His work? As it turns out, Jesus tells the storm to be still, and the seas are calm again. Perhaps God is reinforcing what Jesus instructed them about Him., showing His might and that Jesus is His cherished son, but who knows?

A raging storm, with its wind and flooding does two things among many other things…it kills some and leaves the rest alive, including the righteous, whoever they are, to suffer the carnage. What is the meaning? Jesus, who was the most righteous man on earth, was made to suffer on the cross. The Bible tells us that he suffered for those who sinned, so they could be saved. If Jesus is made to suffer on the cross, is it possible that God has sent the damaging hurricanes to make even the righteous suffer for the sins of others on earth? Is this God’s way of calling attention to those who have sinned?

But that only makes sense to the extent that the righteous people, who, like Jesus, suffered and died, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

But for those who are still alive, what about them? As Deuteronomy 28:1 -6 promises that if we obey the voice of God He will bless us, the storms will blow over and those who so obeyed God will have their fortunes restored, like Job has his restored after he lost them. And be mindful that Jeremiah 29:11 promises us a future and a hope, and Romans 8:28 says that for those of us who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.

I am reminded of a story involving a catcher in a baseball game. In a tough game, he saw that his pitcher was stressed out, so he went out to the mound and told his pitcher, “Just think of the nice steak dinner I’ll buy you after the game when you get these guys out.” The pitcher came through.

I tell you that God has provided that those of us who love Him, and who are still around, whatever trials and tribulations are put on us, will ensure that good things await us.
Very good post. Who are we to question what Almighty is doing? and should we not, like Job said, accept the bad as well as good?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create calamity: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
There's a fine line between the two, scriptural'y speaking in that some preachers confuse plagues/wrath of God with these ,example,,, https://www.google.com/search?clien...eathquake+plaugues+from+god&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 the earthquakes in Haiti ,,,

Why I think this is that if these were the plagues/wrath taking place(in Haiti) then that would mean that the man of sin is already in the earth and the Haitians received his mark,name,worshiped him ect. and that no one has figured out yet who he is and Pat should reveal the man of sin to the Haitians so they can repent,lol.

If not the book of Revelation always states that the wrath of God, vials ect. are poured out on those who "received" the name,mark or "worshiped" the beast and so if this is what is taking place then that man of sin would have to have already came,then the beast from the earth and then his image set up.

So it's a fine line in that these events are as in old(events happening to all mankind) or if they are wrath/plaugues as spoken of in Revelation pertaining to those who worships him or receives his name mark after he comes,,,,came,lol...

Dec 12, 2013
God does not cause evil... He allows it, but we don't know why.
He does not punish,,,He is all-good.

Hurricanes are a soft breeze gone bad.
All of creation awaits redemption.
Romans 8
Hahahahahaha wow....I suggest the bible...God indeed does punish....or maybe you skipped Genesis 6-8 and or the account of Sodom, or David's 1st born with Bathsheba or the wilderness or.......____________________

The LORD is slow to anger and great in power, And the LORD will by no means leave the guilty unpunished. In whirlwind and storm is His way, And clouds are the dust beneath His feet.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
God and hurricanes? That is a biggy. God made all that is, and His cretures bring on certain events by not paying heed to Him.

It is mentioned more than once that the earth would come to being polluted under its inhabitants for the fruit of their doings. Do yo not understand that wehn man, disregarding what God does or has given him endeavors to do whatever pleases him it can only lead to more corruption.

Are people so far away from common sense that they do not realize that because the earth is lying polluted greatly now under its inhabitants for the fruit of their doing that there are consequences.............like heating up and greter weather problems.

If flobal warming is in progress, do not think the damge stops at the gaseous spheres above ground level for it also warms the crust of the earth...........and what do you suppose this will lead to, already has somewhat.¿

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Hahahahahaha wow....I suggest the bible...God indeed does punish....or maybe you skipped Genesis 6-8 and or the account of Sodom, or David's 1st born with Bathsheba or the wilderness or.......____________________

The LORD is slow to anger and great in power, And the LORD will by no means leave the guilty unpunished. In whirlwind and storm is His way, And clouds are the dust beneath His feet.
This is interesting. First God decided to kill all life on earth, then He promised to never do this again and told Noah and his sons to be fruitful and multiply and fill up the earth again. Did God think the second round of persons wouldn't also be evil?

Ditto for Sodom...was that the only town that was abominable to God?
I had learned once that the actual history begins with Abraham.

Do you think only the guilty are punished? Christians also suffer hardship - is that a punishment?
The bible says that it rains on the guilty and the innocent, on all.

I tend to think that it's not God saying: You disobeyed, so I'm going to punish you...
But instead we suffer the consequences of our disobeying. For instance, lying could bring us harm, an adulterous affair could bring us harm, not forgiving harms us...etc.

And certainly, a hurricane is not a punishment!