Godly advice needed

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Caryn

Hi
Hope to get some good Biblical Godly advice about what to do. Some background info-I am a grandmother and a Christian. I've had a very abusive childhood-my mother was a mean, vindictive bully and my father molested me as a child, I was pretty messed up and learned not to rock the boat and let stuff go to keep the peace. I have a relationship with both my parents still but it's hard to forget the stuff they did to me as a child. I forgive them but the bad feelings never go away for me.
My daughter has just had a new baby and all of my sisters and their kids and my mother refused to go to any of her showers which caused many hard feelings for me and my daughter. My new grandchild was born this weekend, 5 weeks premature and my mother instead of being happy for me, screamed at me because it was announced on a social media site before anyone told her personally. I haven't spoken to her since and NONE of my family has even reached out to my daughter and congratulated her for the baby's birth. Not one person! I don't know how to handle this, I"m so angry and disappointed for their behavior but certainly not surprised-they've only ever cared about themselves-kids and grandkids are secondary. I want to honor my parents like it says in the Bible but I can't make these bad feelings go away. I don't want to nurse pain and unforgiveness but it's really eating away at me. I don't really care if I ever see them again but I feel so guilty because this is not how a Christian is supposed to feel.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
It may be best to stay away from your kinfolks so you can have a relationship with the Lord in peace.

U

ukkez

as a christian, it maybe hard, but i would ring your mum up and say sorry for not telling her personal that the baby was born and ask if she would like to come round to see the baby. and ask her why she dint come to the baby showers. pray before you speak to her. i hope it goes well. may god bless you for being so forgiving x

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Don't let other people take away your joy. We can't control others but we can control our reaction to them. Emotional distance from hurtful people is helpful when you need to heal. God calls us to try to maintain all of our relationships. It may take some time to forgive and to get a godly perspective on things....give yourself that time to go to God and be healed from the hurt...and to forgive.

Resentment will cause a lot of soul damage. It will drain away all the goodness that God has given us. Enjoy this time with your new grand-baby while praying for hurting family members. Many times people are hateful due to their own inner pain that lashes out at whoever or whatever is the closest.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Concerning your mom's reaction....it seems as our parents get older they can become more 'childish' in their reactions.

My parents get jealous when we visit my husband's family without seeing them, but they live in different parts of the US and it is VERY HARD to see both back to back. When we do visit my parents, it becomes obvious very fast that they can't wait for us to leave ;). It's also true for my husband's mother...she'll make us feel guilty for not staying longer while she's helping us pack to go back home. Sometimes, you just have to laugh- things can become so ridiculous.

Family members will use emotional manipulation...sometimes I think just for a power play. I try to remember to just not play that game.

B

BishopSEH

Caryn,

I believe I have located the advice you need.

Romans 12:9-21 9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c]Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

This entire passage is relevant to your situation but I have bolded out the instruction to specifically help you understand your role in how others behave. Ask yourself, can I make them change their behavior? The answer is no. No one can make someone change except God.

Now you have dealt with some really terrible things in your life and from your testimony, you have forgiven. Let me make something very, very clear. GOD DOES NOT COMMAND US TO FORGET. In fact to forget what has come before is to tell yourself that what happened doesn't matter. That would be a lie and worse a lie you tell yourself.

That would be akin to Jesus forgetting His betrayer. Do you really think Jesus has forgotten Judas? While I believe, as much as it is up to Jesus, he has forgiven Judas, the Scripture clearly shows that Jesus will not forget or more accurately, that Jesus will bring the transgressions of Judas to mind because Judas never accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.

This does not you have to willfully recall the transgression of the past done upon you. It does mean that when you bring to to mind that you have to opportunity to forgive again. What you are not responsible for is changing the behaviors of your family. If they want to walk around with a stick up their southern most orifice, its their problem to deal with, not yours. If they aren't loving of your grandchild then that gives you the opportunity to love on them that much more. It also prevents them from poisoning the childs spirit with their wrong attitudes. As you cans see its all about perspective. Focus on the positive aspects instead of the negative.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
Congratulations for the New Baby, his Mother and His Grandmother :)

Don't Be sad about your Mother.
You can forgive her, and her being the Way She seems to Be, maybe it Is better that She stays Away, if She dös Not want to Be Close.

J

Jordache

To say this is not how a Christian is supposed to feel is false. We are humans created with emotions. You feel what you feel and to say Christians should not feel this or that way is denial. Feelings can go too far and become unhealthy, but to simply say they aren't right will take you away from dealing with them.
Express them to the Lord. Get them out of you. You cannot do anything abut your family`s response. You can only control how you love your daughter and grandchild, and how you respond to your emotions.

S

scottish

I agree with Jordache, Family loyalty only works if you are given the same respect and honour as you give. We all carry to much emotional baggage sometimes. " Give the Lord your burdens and he will take care of you".
Spend your time not worrying about others but by giving your love to your daughter and granddaughter. Time is precious and should be spent wisely.

GOD_IS_LOVE

Mar 16, 2009
And who says how a Christian is supposed to feel? Is he/she supposed to be senseless?
Jesus was angry and there is no problem with being angry/upset/disappointed for the good reasons. How you act on these feelings is what matters. You have every right to be upset, but that doesn't mean you should dwell on these feelings in a negative manner. There is new life in your family; be happy for that!

S

Share55

Hi
Hope to get some good Biblical Godly advice about what to do. Some background info-I am a grandmother and a Christian. I've had a very abusive childhood-my mother was a mean, vindictive bully and my father molested me as a child, I was pretty messed up and learned not to rock the boat and let stuff go to keep the peace. I have a relationship with both my parents still but it's hard to forget the stuff they did to me as a child. I forgive them but the bad feelings never go away for me.
My daughter has just had a new baby and all of my sisters and their kids and my mother refused to go to any of her showers which caused many hard feelings for me and my daughter. My new grandchild was born this weekend, 5 weeks premature and my mother instead of being happy for me, screamed at me because it was announced on a social media site before anyone told her personally. I haven't spoken to her since and NONE of my family has even reached out to my daughter and congratulated her for the baby's birth. Not one person! I don't know how to handle this, I"m so angry and disappointed for their behavior but certainly not surprised-they've only ever cared about themselves-kids and grandkids are secondary. I want to honor my parents like it says in the Bible but I can't make these bad feelings go away. I don't want to nurse pain and unforgiveness but it's really eating away at me. I don't really care if I ever see them again but I feel so guilty because this is not how a Christian is supposed to feel.
Re: Your background ~ I had a very much similar childhood and when I actively started to seek God the part that says that we must forgive those who have wronged us before coming to Christ was the hardest thing I had to do. I grew up quiet as a child because of the life I was living didn't like being hurt so I figured if I was quiet and obedient I wouldn't be hurt so often but when I got to my mid teens I told them both where to get off. It was my way of dealing with it.
So when it came time to forgive them I prayed to God because I still harboured resentment for the cards I was dealt. I prayed to forgive them, I told them I forgave them but the memories kept coming back and then one day I read a gospel story (forget what they are called) about burying the sword, hilt and all. I kept it at the surface in case I ever needed it again then I would just reach for the hilt and pull it out again. So I went back to God and asked Him to help me rid myself of this thorn in my side once and for all. I came across another story about how Satan keeps attacking us to keep us in sin and when he brings up all those memories we are to tell him no because we have already dealt with it through God.
Sometime later as I was still growing in my relationship with God (as always it is) the memories came back but without the hatred and malice so I asked God why this was so. He told me, 'I have brought you through the days of your fathers so that you will remember and will use it to help others who are now suffering the same so that your trials and tears were not in vain.
As time has gone by my dad is now passed on but my mother is still with us and when I look at her lovely face I want to cry. I have had to defend her many times from my siblings and have come to realize my mother's anger came from our situation. She had a very hard life with my dad. He was a heavy drinker, abuser, and his family used up all my mother's wealth she brought into the marriage. They ruined everything she had done to try to make a better life for her family. We can live with someone all our life and never know them. We don't spend 24/7 with them because one doesn't know the inner workings of the mind or what they hear through closed doors or see through open windows. Pray and ask for help to let go and let God. <3
One thing I have noticed about people who live in abusive relationships is that their incapacity to control their lives usually leads to them being abusive esp. to those they love. It is a life out of control.
The apostle said 'I know when to be abased and when to abound.' There are times when we should humble ourselves for the sake of even our abuser in this case your mom. I recall when I was about 13 years old I was thinking about my future and I thought that if I ever had children they would never go through what I did but they did. Try as we might to protect them, in an evil world our only strength is God. When I now reflect on my life I am humbled by the strength of my mother for all that she went through for the sake of her children. It made her bitter but when it came to providing for us and protecting us (in her only way she could) she was tenacious.
Sometimes we see others as self~indulgent but maybe it is a way to protect you from more harm. God said we should pray for those who despitefuly use us and to pray for our enemies. So we should also pray for our loved ones and the best way to win others to God is by setting a good example as Christ did. Let your love light shine and congrats on the grandchild ;)

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Hi
Congratulations, first off, and God does just love us all, even those that do not believe, nor seek God. yet it is God's kindness not ours, and if we are trying to be as we have been taught to be, then this where all this guilt trip is coming from, self energy. Up one day, down the next like a roller coaster. and after awhile takes a toll on one that really wants all to get along and just love each other
Kudos to you for this want.
Now I hope to share truth with you that sets you free in this mess that you are in despite how others act or react.

first off, God does Just love you and all, and this is not about whether anyone has done right or wrong, except Christ the only one that came here perfectly and perfectly walked as God asked him to, all the way to the cross. To do this
John 1:29 [ John Testifies About Jesus ] The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
When Christ went to the cross and died he took away the sin of the world not in this world's sight, rather in his Father's sight.
So by this taking away sin that caused death
Colossians 1:21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.
Colossians 1:22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—

Now we are looking at the above scripture from God's vantage point through the cross, not man's selfish viewpoint as you are so very familiar with in your own Family and wish fro them to Change and are as well trying to forgive their bad behaviors, and thus are even looking at your own and are in Guilt over it.
Sister flesh takes advantage of this, Merciful behavior that you try to show and then when you get mad over anything you are put on the chopping block, and is where guilt is coming from.
Now please see this because you believe you are in the reception of the forgiveness that Christ did for you before you were ever born.
We have the message of:
2 Corinthians 5:19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Reconciliation is forgiveness 100% so now right now be reconciled back to God thanking God for this.
2 Corinthians 5:20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

Okay now that you have received this you now have new life in God, dead to your old self and alive to God in the Spirit of God by the resurrected Christ
[h=3]Romans 6:4[/h]New International Version (NIV)

[SUP]4 [/SUP]We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

So now life this new life in God in the Spirit of God and see what God's kindness does to those that one is kind to, when they know what they have done, the purpose of God to do this through you is to lead them to repentance, yet not to be a door mat either
Romans 2:4
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

I show the above first part of the verse every time I walk in the flesh and anger spills out, how about you?
So seeing the rest of the verse, is it you that God wants you to be kind to all? Or is it God through your free choice of asking God to do this through you, where God gets all the glory.
Then see this and ask fro this below to become you trusting God to do what is needed to be said or done, so you can rest medicine in him
[h=3]Matthew 10:16-20[/h]New International Version (NIV)

[SUP]16 [/SUP]“I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. [SUP]17 [/SUP]Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. [SUP]18 [/SUP]On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. [SUP]19 [/SUP]But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say,

[SUP]20 [/SUP]for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

We are arrested each and every day, by this world of what others say about us whether in front of us or not. When we could be freed from what others think about me. Freed from what I think others think about me, and freed from what I think about myself.
God is trying to get us off the tread mill of guilt.

Now tell if you know that God has accepted you in God (the beloved) will you ever again need anyone else's approval?

[h=3]Ephesians 1:6-13[/h]New International Version (NIV)

[SUP]6 [/SUP]to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.(Accepted) [SUP]7 [/SUP]In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace [SUP]8 [/SUP]that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, [SUP]9 [/SUP]he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, [SUP]10 [/SUP]to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, [SUP]12 [/SUP]in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. [SUP]13 [/SUP]And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Ephesians 1:6
to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

Hope this helps praying so?

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
So now begin to live in God's grace above your circumstances in the joy you have just received
Thanks