God's Righteous Judgment, The Jews and The Law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Walter

Jul 20, 2022
Washington
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Sunday 2-5-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shavat 13 5783 47th. Winter Day

Romans 2

God’s Righteous Judgment
1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
The Jews and the Law
17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”[b]

25 Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised. 26 So then, if those who are not circumcised keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? 27 The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the[c] written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.
28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.
Footnotes
  1. Romans 2:6 Psalm 62:12; Prov. 24:12
  2. Romans 2:24 Isaiah 52:5 (see Septuagint); Ezek. 36:20,22
  3. Romans 2:27
Love, Walter and Debbie

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023

Romans 2

God’s Righteous Judgment
1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
The Jews and the Law
17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”[b]

25 Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised. 26 So then, if those who are not circumcised keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? 27 The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the[c] written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.
28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.
Footnotes
  1. Romans 2:6 Psalm 62:12; Prov. 24:12
  2. Romans 2:24 Isaiah 52:5 (see Septuagint); Ezek. 36:20,22
  3. Romans 2:27
Love, Walter and Debbie

But that's not the end of the story for the Jewish people.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
We are all Jews through Christ.
By adoption, as children of God, as brothers and sisters with Jesus, we to are Jews.

Not to follow the mistakes of the literal Jews but to follow the perfect righteousness of Jesus. The promises given to Israel are for us and we are to be God witness today.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
We are all Jews through Christ.
By adoption, as children of God, as brothers and sisters with Jesus, we to are Jews.

Not to follow the mistakes of the literal Jews but to follow the perfect righteousness of Jesus. The promises given to Israel are for us and we are to be God witness today.
Sorry, I disagree with that. The promises to Israel are still to Israel. Replacement theology is a false theology.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Romans 2

Love, Walter and Debbie
“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“The law and the prophets were until John:

since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Wherefore then serveth the law?

It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed should come to whom the promise was made;

and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, ( God to an angel then to Moses ) but God is one. ( father son holy spirit )

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:19-20, 23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:11-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The law was meant to last until Jesus appeared preaching the gospel which is of faith and promises salvation to that world facing condemnation by the law

Two part plan the law

“Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

And the gospel

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”( the law proves we’re all sinners which prepares us to receive repentance and remission of sins and makes the gospel being sent into the world mans only hope all
Have sinned and all need redemption )
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21-23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a witness and fulfillment

“For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“the law?

It was added because of transgressions,

till the seed should come to whom the promise was made;”

before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.”

Two part plan one is a hidden witness of the other which is the fulfillment of those promises made to Abraham father of many nations and his children

“For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:27-29‬ ‭

“And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:42‬ ‭

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Sorry, I disagree with that. The promises to Israel are still to Israel. Replacement theology is a false theology.
consider what Jesus said to them

“But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son. But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.

And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him. When the Lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, The same is become the head of the corner: This is the Lord's doing, And it is marvellous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭21:37-44‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And ye shall leave your name for a curse unto my chosen: for the Lord GOD shall slay thee, and call his servants by another name: that he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes. For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭65:15-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s strange we miss it because all of creation is going to be destroyed and replaced

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

to know what Israel’s covenant was answers the conundrum God told the n plainly “ if you obey every command and ordinance in the law I will bless you in the land I’m giving you

about if you don’t obey everything you agreed to ll my commands and ordinances given by Moses , I will utterly destroy you from off the land I gave to you

thier covenant isnt a promise it’s a law that can be fulfilled either way

“See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; in that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it. I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭30:15-19‬ ‭KJV‬

thier covenant was fulfilled that’s why Jerusalem and it’s temple was destroyed as Jesus said and the gospel was sent from Jerusalem to all people it doesn’t help israel that they are israelite it helps anyone when they accept Jesus Christ

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
consider what Jesus said to them

“But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son. But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.

And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him. When the Lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, The same is become the head of the corner: This is the Lord's doing, And it is marvellous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭21:37-44‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And ye shall leave your name for a curse unto my chosen: for the Lord GOD shall slay thee, and call his servants by another name: that he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes. For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭65:15-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s strange we miss it because all of creation is going to be destroyed and replaced

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

to know what Israel’s covenant was answers the conundrum God told the n plainly “ if you obey every command and ordinance in the law I will bless you in the land I’m giving you

about if you don’t obey everything you agreed to ll my commands and ordinances given by Moses , I will utterly destroy you from off the land I gave to you

thier covenant isnt a promise it’s a law that can be fulfilled either way

“See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; in that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it. I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭30:15-19‬ ‭KJV‬

thier covenant was fulfilled that’s why Jerusalem and it’s temple was destroyed as Jesus said and the gospel was sent from Jerusalem to all people it doesn’t help israel that they are israelite it helps anyone when they accept Jesus Christ

I believe we are all saved the same way. But I've had this talk on another thread. The Abrahamic Covenant was unconditional, and there are still promises within it still to be fulfilled to Israel and the Jews. They have never had all the land that God promised them, but they will have. Romans 11 is clear, there is a remnant. God is not done with the Jews.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I believe we are all saved the same way. But I've had this talk on another thread. The Abrahamic Covenant was unconditional, and there are still promises within it still to be fulfilled to Israel and the Jews. They have never had all the land that God promised them, but they will have. Romans 11 is clear, there is a remnant. God is not done with the Jews.
“The Abrahamic Covenant was unconditional,”

abrahams covenant is the gospel preached by Jesus his seed

The covenant made from Sinai through Moses isnt Abraham’s covenant it is the covenant for the flesh seed of Abram Hebrew

did you ever notice God made a covenant with Abram ? And then another eternal covenant wi th Abraham when he renamed him as father of many nations ?

There is one covenant that is all about condition set by the law of Moses

And there is a new one established upon the body and blood and word of Jesus Christ the seed of Abraham and his true heir

Old Testament israel thier bc cement was governed by Moses law this law this is what God told them when he gave them the covenant law

‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭30:15-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that is the nation of Israel’s covenant law ot cannot be changed or altered in any way that’s written in it lasted until this

It could be a blessing when they entered the promised land if they obeyed the covenant or it could be a terrible curse of they turned to other gods

this is what God told Moses would happen before he died

“And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭31:16-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That all happened just as God said it would of course later he is calling then to repent and return to the law they never did return to keeping the law as they agreed in their covenant they would do instead they did exactly what he said would break the covenant he made with them as you read there

eventually this is the situation which is written throughout as a warning but eventually

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.

Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left. The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭24:5-6, 20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

that’s where Israel’s covenant led then because they wouldn’t keep the covenant law of Moses given from Sinai

It is not unconditional it is based on whether Israel would keep and obey all the law or whether they would break the law and worship other gods bringing the curses written abundantly in it at least a hundred including things like this

Consider this even though the excerpts are long it’s all true and written in thier covenant law if you read this part then go back to those prophecies about israel bieng cursed and it will make sense

“But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day;

that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee: cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.

The LORD shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me.

The LORD shall make the pestilence cleave unto thee, until he have consumed thee from off the land, whither thou goest to possess it.

The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with the sword, and with blasting, and with mildew; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.

The LORD shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed. The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.

And thy carcase shall be meat unto all fowls of the air, ( supper of God in prophecy ) and unto the beasts of the earth, and no man shall fray them away. and thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.

And thou shalt become an astonishment, a proverb, and a byword, among all nations whither the LORD shall lead thee.

Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee: and they shall be upon thee for a sign and for a wonder, and upon thy seed for ever.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭28:15-16, 20-22, 24-26, 29, 37, 45-46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Either we have to say the Bible has it all wrong or we have to acknolwedge that the old covenant is not without condition it’s only based upon condition thier actuon thier ability to keep a rigid law perfectly

It isn’t made of a promise it’s made of law containing both blessings and cirses based upon no other factor but whether they kept the law or not as a nation

they didn’t it happened exactly as god foretold Moses they worshipped false gods throughout the generations and the curses in thy own covenant were brought to pass

The New Testament is Abraham’s covenant for all nations not the Old Testament given only to a single nation th at broke it and brought the corse to pass whoch they were warned beforehand

israels salvation is the gospel just as everyone’s salvation is the gospel

And no God is not finished with israel he has saved a remnant and sent them to the world including all other Israelites and said home that believes no matter who you are what nations you hail from believe the gospel and inherit everlasting life in the one kingdom of God

at he Old Testament is not the reality of Gods plan it just led to Jesus