God's will?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

acesneverwin

Jun 8, 2011
So I have a problem with this... Not that God doesn't know what he's doing or that his way is best... But when something bad happens or whatever, people always say Gods way is best even if you can't see it. And that's true I'm sure. But I've come to expect the worse in any given situation because that's just how things always end up. I mean I've never had a major miracle in life and I've been miserable for years despite prayers and trying to go to church etc. and it seems when you expect the worst you can't ever be disappointed so you're already prepped if things don't work out or the sting of pain is lessoned cause you already set yourself up for it.

Now I know God is in control but he does allow bad things to happen and many times for only reasons he knows. Bible says all your days were penned before you we're born so if anything a crappy life was planned from the beginning and was there to shape you into something better if ya hold on. So say ya have a mountain to climb, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Sounds like that can give you strength to overcome and that God is with you and you press on to the top. But maybe Gods plan is for you to fall deeper down some crevasse you didn't see cause you thought GOd would pull you through. And that "strength in Christ" wasn't to to get you up the mountain but just that you wouldn't give up after falling further down.

So the next time you're working your way through the woods, and you get a bit of ambition to try something, since you're so used to failure... Words like I can do all things through Christ ring hollow because it could very well be that that strength will just get you through another fall and not overcoming whatever... How can you hope to overcome anything or have faith in your abilities even knowing God is with ya and all when you're so prone to failure... It makes things rather hopeless that it seems better to sit on the auto pilot, never try anything and just drift through on the safe boring route. Sure God will get ya through whatever fall you take but... When you've been down so much and God has only been there to say don't give up... It seems better to just accept the mundane and just scratch days off the calendar like a countdown till you die... And then FINALLY, feels like your birthday finally came. Like it says in the bible, the day of your death is better than your birth.

Nov 26, 2012
I don't think God's will has much to do with anything. From my understanding we are all stuck in this cursed world. Christians, thieves, murderers, rapists and anybody else you can think of all have free will to do what they want. God has promised few things for us in this world. If we ask for wisdom He will give it freely. If we seek Him we will find Him. If He tells us to do something He will provide what you need to get it done when you step out in faith. He has never claimed our life would be easy if we love Him. I don't think He makes anybody's finances better or worse, nor does he make some people to be sick or healthy. His word provides practical advice on how to live but it's all on you. He promises you won't starve or be naked. We aren't supposed to like this world. That is the joy. One day we will be completely satisfied but not in this life. Aside from the few miracles that a handful of people may witness in their lifetime I honestly don't feel God influences much. I think Satan has more influence in this world. Many powerful, wealthy, famous people are Luciferians. They live for the now but will suffer eternally. I'm extremely content with the choice I've made even though I'll have to postpone the celebration.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I know what you mean that if we expect the worst we can't be disappointed. But this leads to living with a negative attitude and it's hard to find joy when you're so negative. One thing that helps me is to try to be grateful for the positives...focus on those. Practicing gratitude has a way of opening up a whole new way of thinking. Look at what you do have and be grateful for it and thank your Creator personally. There are always people worse off than you are. There is pain and suffering in this fallen world with fallen people. The fault is ours, not God's (Genesis-the fall). He allows free will to operate and we sure can mess things up.

I think if we expect the worst, eventually it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So, try to get out of that rut :). God has created some really wonderful things for us to enjoy. He likes to see us enjoying them.

R

Relena7

This is exactly the reason I got into "new age" stuff a couple years ago. Things like law of attraction. They tend to think positively but use spirituality too. The only thing absent was mention of Christ, so I only took in from it what was needed.
I was raised a Christian, and I had never in my life learned that it's possible to turn your life around with positive thinking until I searched other religious points of view. I found that confusing.

I didn't ever hear Christians thinking positively about large outcomes, unless they add "if it's God's will" at the end of it. And that part concerned me. It sounded to me like, what's the point in us praying and hoping if it will always be God's will in the end? Why not just never pray or hope at all? How much of it really is in us to make changes?

Now days I'm not heavily into anything book-wise. I'm trying to search into Christianity again with an open mind that it's possible to be alive, and not live a hopeless existence. If I didn't have any hope, I would be dead.

OP, I wish I has an answer. I, too, have no idea. But I don't believe thinking negatively and expecting the worst is the answer.

If I had to sum up my life motto right now, it would be something like:
"Understand that the best can happen, but don't be needy about it, just appreciate it when it happens. Understand that the worst can happen, but don't dwell on it before or after."

I am not very poetic but you get the idea. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hattiebod

I think some churches and faith communities can teach only part of the gospel, that can be the truth but without the joy!, a bit depressing! God does not cause bad things to happen, we live in a fallen world. God does not show partiality, but not everyone will be wealthy, well or have a great job or partner. What we need to do it live a life that is filled with thank fullness. Its so easy in the midst of life to notice only what we don't have....not what we do. We so quickly magnify the negative and minimise the positive. We block the many good things that could come our way by living tied down by 'what if's' and 'maybe's'. Ps.921. 'It is good to give thanks to the Lord'. In all ways acknowledge Him...be happy!! do not sweat the small stuff! be happy because the sun is shinning or the rain is falling! look out, not in. Its a hard road to follow but it is a happier one!! Bad things happen to good people, bad people and indifferent people...they happen. It IS Gods will that we live a life pleasing to Him. It's all about Him, not us. Lets keep our eyes on the prize, not the car...bank balance or wether we will get that job. Happiness is found in God, in Christ alone, not in the world. Once we get a real understanding of that, life, no matter what it throws at us is a gift. Even when in hospital, when one's husband has had a heart attack, one can give thanks. Yes you can!! and as you do, you get peace, and are blessed...and so it rolls!! <><