Good News Stories Thread: Updated often with links to new good news stories.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

This will warm your heart: Lowe's employees repair amputee veteran's wheelchair

Monday, July 14, 2014

Michael Sulsona of Graniteville, Staten Island, is a veteran who lost his legs above the knee after stepping on a land mine in Vietnam. Sulsona has been confined to a wheelchair since the incident, and even after repeated inquiries to the Veterans Administration office, he has still not been provided a new chair.

When Sulsona's wheelchair fell apart at a Lowe's Warehouse store in Mariner's Harbor, NY, the veteran was distraught, until three Lowe's employees stepped in and reassembled the chair. Sulsona thanked the courteous employees, who responded "it was our honor."

Clearly these employees rank high in compassion.

Lowe's employees bring amputee veteran to tears by rebuilding his broken wheelchair. | abc11.com

1still_waters

Woman, 92, Tricks Suspected Scam Artists Into Getting Arrested

lady.jpg

A pair of alleged scam artists pretending to be chimney workers had the tables turned on them when the elderly Long Island woman they tried to burglarize figured out their scheme and had them arrested when they returned to her home, police say.

The 92-year-old woman, who is being identified only as Violet, said the two men came to her Bellport home last Saturday claiming to be from a company called New York's Finest Home Improvements.

92-Year-Old Long Island Woman Tricks Alleged Scam Artists Into Getting Arrested | NBC4 Washington

1still_waters

Seven-year-old boy runs through burning house, saves family

26332769_BG1.JPG

MARION COUNTY, MS (WDAM) -There's no better feeling than going to bed knowing your loved ones are safe and sound, but that feeling went up in flames for a Marion County family a few nights ago.

To think a Marion County boy saved his entire family would be inconceivable to some, but he did.

"I could hear his footsteps coming down the hall," said Remila Mikell, Jeremiah's mother.

Jeremiah ran back into the burning room where his brother slept before they rushed into Remila's room to get her out of bed on the other side of the house.

As soon as her boys ran into her room to wake her up, the boys' room was fully engulfed.

Moments before the entire home caught fire, the family escaped.

"He (Jeremiah) is not talking about it," Mikell said.

The family cried as they stood by the road, watching their home turn to ashes, but according to the family, Jeremiah stood motionless as firefighters and neighbors crowded the scene.

Seven-year-old boy runs through burning house, saves family - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

1still_waters

Officer rescues man whose wheelchair broke down in storm

A dash camera caught Fort Myers police Officer Gil Benitez helping Michael Arnold, who was stranded -- his electric wheelchair having shut down in the midst of a violent Florida thunderstorm. Benitez braved nearby lightning and torrential rain to push Arnold home. (Video via Fort Myers Police Department)

Not only that, but Benitez also dried off Arnold and stayed with him until family arrived.

Tremendous, and deserved, praise has been sent Benitez's way. Media outlets have used terms like "hero" and "above and beyond the call of duty."

To which Benitez says:

BENITEZ VIA WBBH: "Anyone would have done that; I just happened to be there first."

Benitez was responding to a call from somebody who was concerned about Arnold being stuck in the rain, so, yeah -- he was just doing his job. But besides Arnold being saved from a potentially dangerous situation, WZVN points out another reason why people are loving this story.

"As we spoke to the officer today, he reminded us while there are bad things that do happen in our cities, there are many good things. Tonight was a wonderful chance to shine a light on that good."

Earlier this week, another police officer showed extraordinary kindness.

Ohio Officer Tom Ondecker responded to calls about a man in a wheelchair trying to cross a busy five-lane street.

A citizen followed Ondecker, taking photos of him as he walked the man home and carried his groceries.

The Streetsboro Police Department said on its Facebook page, "Tom is a great example of what it really means to be a police officer."

And Kansas City police posted video of an officer dancing with a couple of kids earlier this month.

If nothing else, stuff like this is also great PR.

As for Fort Myers Officer Benitez, he's earned appreciation from Arnold, who told local reporters he's very grateful the officer was there.

Officer rescues man whose wheelchair broke down in storm - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

1still_waters

E-Mow: Lawnmower That Runs On Grass

4555140_G.jpg

A new invention that could make mowing the lawn a little easier...
Sean Cummings has been mowing lawns in New York for over 25 years, but recently he says he's been battered by the price of gas.

Cummings says it now costs him three times as much to mow a lawn as it did when he first started. In fact, he says modern landscaping is a business model completely dependent on how much it costs to fill the mowers.

Which is exactly why Jason Force invented E-Mow, the world's first self-fueled lawn mower.
E-Mow cuts lawns like other mowers, but then uses a vortex dryer to remove any water from the clippings. It then heats and pressurizes them to create pellets.

"The pellets go in the top there's a reaction fuel gas comes out the side and you can use that in an engine to create power," said Force.
Force says the technology will first be used to create alfalfa feed for livestock and then in a short time, inside commercial lawn mowers. A time Cummings says can't come soon enough.

Force guarantees the unimaginable will be coming to a lawn near you, by the end of next summer.

E-Mow: Lawnmower That Runs On Grass - FOX 32 News Chicago

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
Wish Granted: 90 year-old Woman Rides Horse for First Time

It took 90 years for Thea Murphy to get on a horse, but about 30 seconds to fall in love.
“I’ll be sore tomorrow, but it doesn’t matter. It’ll make me remember Katy,” a beaming Murphy said Friday afternoon at a Petaluma horse arena as she gazed upon the palomino mare that provided Murphy’s first horseback ride. “Look at her. She’s so beautiful. And she listens to me!”
Murphy’s maiden horseback ride was courtesy of a Napa nonprofit called Celebrating Seniors, which granted wishes for half a dozen elders in the North Bay. Murphy’s wish was to ride a horse — something the 50-year Napa resident had never done.
Other seniors wanted to go on San Francisco Bay cruises, or visit a great-grandchild on the East Coast. But for Murphy, who’s partially paralyzed from a stroke and blind in one eye, it was all about horses.
“It’s because I love them,” Murphy said before getting on a horse. “I love animals, I love horses. I want to know what it feels like to ride one.”

Jen McWherter (center) introduces Katydid to 90-year-old Thea Murphy before Murphy's ride on the Palomino at the Giant Steps Therapeutic Equestrian Center in Petaluma, Calif. on Friday, Sept. 26, 2014. Her lifelong dream to ride a horse was made possible by the Napa-based Celebrating Seniors organization.

Read More : -
Napa woman, 90, gets wish granted, rides horse for the first time - SFGate

1still_waters

[h=1]Instead of ticket, officer buys girl booster seat[/h]EMMETT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan officer who pulled over a vehicle because a 5-year-old girl wasn’t secured in a booster seat decided a ticket wouldn’t cut it.
Instead, Emmett Township public safety officer Ben Hall bought her a seat.
“A ticket doesn’t solve the situation,” Hall said. “What solves it is the child being in the booster seat like she should be. It was the easiest 50 bucks I ever spent.”
Hall was on patrol Friday in the southern Michigan community when he pulled over the vehicle after someone reported that it had an unsecured young child inside. Alexis DeLorenzo and her daughter were riding with a friend, and Hall said DeLorenzo told him that she had fallen on hard times and couldn’t afford a booster seat.
“I was in a spot where I could help her,” Hall said.
DeLorenzo said she knew that they could have been ticketed, but instead, DeLorenzo told her to meet him at a Wal-Mart, where he bought her the seat.
“It changed my life,” DeLorenzo said. “I’m never going to forget him. And neither will my daughter.”

Instead of ticket, officer buys girl booster seat | KSN-TV

1still_waters

[h=1]Days from 114th birthday, woman gets Facebook page[/h]

PLAINVIEW, Minn. – When Anna Stoehr recently created her Facebook page, she did what many youngsters have done to bypass age requirements.
Anna lied about her date of birth.
She said she was 99-years-old, after her actual age bounced back as invalid.
Such is the burden on woman about to celebrate her 114th birthday.
"You betcha," laughs Anna, giddy as an early 20th century school girl.

Days from 114th birthday, woman gets Facebook page

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This one depends on IF you are the Delivery Driver, or the guy who ordered the pizza I suppose......... :)

Excerpt From Article:

Where pizza delivery is concerned, the police in Illinois don't mess around. According to Only Oswego, an officer pulled over a pizza delivery driver for driving through a parking lot to avoid a red light earlier this week. The officer realized the driver — who was in the middle of his shift — and his passenger had drug paraphernalia in the car. Upon taking the two into custody, the officer decided to complete the delivery to the hungry customer himself.

Found Here:

I

inthewind