Grades

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
So I checked my grades this morning and I got an F in speech taking my GPA from a 3.8 to a 3.2!! I (Think) am in phi theta kappa and that is the lowest you can go before getting kicked out. :'(

I took speech last year though. I got an incomplete because I never took the final because of reasons. Anyways I went to take the final and I thought I would have at least gotten a C because I did really good in speech. Like REALLY GOOD! What do I do? I feel like a failure.

This really hurts cuz in high school I was failing miserably and everyone thought I was lazy. I wasn't lazy I have learning disabilities and wasn't getting the proper help. So getting this F kinda took me back to that time and made me feel awful and worthless. Help?

C

cmarieh

All I can say is talk with the professor and see why they gave you the grade and see where you can improve. Just remember that one F is not the end of the world.

A

atwhatcost

So I checked my grades this morning and I got an F in speech taking my GPA from a 3.8 to a 3.2!! I (Think) am in phi theta kappa and that is the lowest you can go before getting kicked out. :'(

I took speech last year though. I got an incomplete because I never took the final because of reasons. Anyways I went to take the final and I thought I would have at least gotten a C because I did really good in speech. Like REALLY GOOD! What do I do? I feel like a failure.

This really hurts cuz in high school I was failing miserably and everyone thought I was lazy. I wasn't lazy I have learning disabilities and wasn't getting the proper help. So getting this F kinda took me back to that time and made me feel awful and worthless. Help?
1. Brace yourself.
2. Ask the teacher that gave you the F (while continuing to brace yourself.)

The truth may hurt, but at least you learn by asking. And, then again, it could have been a typo. Even teacher's typo -- giving Student #20 an F, because she thought that was Student #19 who deserved the F. That's only a 1% chance, so brace yourself.

I tell you to brace yourself though, because I got straight A's in my teaching courses, (I also had Communication courses and electives, which lowered my GPA to a 2.75, so don't think I'm a brain lol), so I was surprised to learn my advisor wouldn't approve me to student teach in my senior year. When we had the sit-down, she told me why. I wanted to teach English but I stink at grammar. In those course where I got As? That's because I did the coursework perfectly. The time in the schools was a complete failure, which my teacher should have told me, but she just graded on the coursework.

It hurt. It really did. I never did become an English teacher, but at least I know why I should never have been an English teacher. And, as you can tell, I survived that humiliation and learned from it. That too was merely a bump in the road. (It felt so big at the time, since I graduated, but couldn't do what I went to college to do, but it worked out.)

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
All I can say is talk with the professor and see why they gave you the grade and see where you can improve. Just remember that one F is not the end of the world.
Yes it is. I have learning disabilities and it's a miracle I got in to phi theta kappa. I feel miserable.

A

atwhatcost

Yes it is. I have learning disabilities and it's a miracle I got in to phi theta kappa. I feel miserable.
No, it's not. My brother has dyslexia and dyscalculia. No one knew there was any such thing as learning disabilities back when we were in school. (he got tested when he was in his 50's just to find out what was different about him. Ends up dyslexia is a male dominant gene -- although females can get it too -- that runs steep in my family.)

He had a gift, even as a child. He collected reptiles like others collect stamps. (200 box turtles, 10 snakes, five variations of the word "reptile," amphibians, a caiman and an iguana.) The rule was he was responsible for feeding and caring for them. Our allowance (back in the 1960's, so times change) didn't cover the cost of taking care of his animals, but he found creative ways to afford what he needed to buy and was able to heal the ones that got sick. And yet, because of his learning disabilities, he couldn't get Latin, which is necessary to become a veterinarian.

That hurt him a lot. But, guess what? By the time he was 17 he had his own home and was living on his own. (Not well, but he survived.) He owned his own stone mason business by the time he was 20. And, animals? He had animals all over the place -- his box turtles, a much bigger caiman (that caiman lived for the longest time. It was uncomfortably big before it died. Oh, a caiman is related to the alligator), copperheads, a boa, a pig slightly smaller than a VW Bug, goats, ducks, chickens, and a peacock. He still took care of them, and since he lived near our cousins, when our cousins had kids who discovered a box turtle, they all ran to my brother to learn how to take care of them. He was the hit of the younger generation.

So, no, failing one course isn't the end of your world, and absolutely not an indication of laziness. We didn't know my brother had learning disabilities, but, man! He studied longer and harder then any of the rest of us. He still does. He had to learn how to take care of his critters, he had to learn how to work a business, (he got my cousin to do his books, since numbers are tough for him), he learned how to be self-sufficiant, he learned how to play volleyball so well that his team won the Seniors State Olympics, and when he got too old to keep lifting 25-50 pound boulders all day, he learned what he could do next, and then learned how to do massages, and then he learned, and the he learned, and then he learned.

No one ever considered him lazy. No one could. One day just watching him is enough for most people to need a vacation to relax. Just watching him, even today, is exhausting. (He's 60. lol)

So, yo!!! Some idiots thought you were lazy in high school. No one thinks someone making even a mere 3.0 GPA in college is lazy. People stopped calling you lazy a while ago. Stop hearing old voices in your head. And, really, really stop listening to that kind of garbage! "Learning disabled" doesn't mean lazy or stupid. It means you simply needed a different path to figure out the same thing those without it figure it out.

And guess what. You're more like those of us who have no learning disabilities than you want to be. It's not true that we can do anything we want. For each one of us, there are some things we simply will never get. At best, if we need that, (say like me and the freaking grammar lol), we simply spend the rest of our lives trying to learn as much as we can.

So what? You may not be good at speaking. That's only a problem if you planned on making speeches for a living. It's no different than anything else you fought to get. If you were planning on being a motivational speaker, alter the course. I can't do speeches, but I can write what I would say, if I was there to say it out loud. (And because I still have that, I still have to struggle with my biggest enemy -- Grammar. lol)

So, no. Just no. Even if you failed speech, that doesn't mean you're a failure. That means you didn't do well in public speaking. Learn the lesson and move on.

Apr 8, 2015
I hope you get through this OK. Youre a nice person so I want things to turn out well for u

C

cmarieh

I have learning disabilities too, so you are not alone here. I have arrangements with each of my instructors because of my learning disability. I know you feel miserable now and that it is the end of the world but years from now it really doesn't matter. I speak that from experience, I am not much older than you are but I have faith you will push through it. Like I said, speak with the professor and say you don't understand the grade you received and ask why. Love you lots and remember that God is always on your side no matter what:)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
So sorry to hear about your F and that you feel miserable. I think that I had ADD in High School and College before they knew what ADD was and I had trouble concentrating. I had to study extra hard to get good grades. I see that cmarieh has learning disabilities too and some good advice. You seem like a really nice person and I will be praying for you. :)

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
You are worth much more than a grade in a subject. Your worth comes from how the Lord sees you.

C

CRC

A good basic education can contribute to one’s spiritual progress. What a person does during his youth has a great bearing on what he can accomplish as an adult. Even in the matter of schooling, “whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap.” (Gal. 6:7) In all endeavors, we get out of it ,what we put into it. Fret not!!! Re-group! Revitalize! Re-energize! When Solomon became King he prayed for asked for wisdom. If you feel the subject matter is more than you can intellectually digest. PRAY!!

(Matthew 7:7, 8) 7 “Keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you; 8 for everyone asking receives, and everyone seeking finds, and to everyone knocking, it will be opened.

F

FriendlyGuitarist

That's never cool hearing about that kind of news. You've tried your best, that's all that matters. Like others have said though you can always ask why you failed but just remember, with God, your never a failure :)

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
I hope you get through this OK. Youre a nice person so I want things to turn out well for u

Zoli,

For someone as young as you are, you have an amazing capacity for empathy and compassion.

Sound doctrine is a very good thing to have; and eventually you will probably have that too; but what you do have is far better!

M

mystikmind

The subject i disliked most in school was maths. But the funny thing is, i am actually very good at maths, my issue was that i could not understand what the teacher was talking about, they may as well have been speaking a foreign language.

The only way i got through it was to shut out the teachers voice and knuckle down and work it out for myself, then it was easy! but then i got in trouble allot because you have to put all the working out procedures, and mine were always arranged differently.... because i had to work it out myself! lol

G

gerlie

Hi,i dont know wht to say but in my experience before i taking exam i will pray first and ask God to give me wisdom knowldge and undertsanding even i been asking God photographic memory, to be honest i thank God because i been pass my exam i always do that. And to be honest before im going to review i will pray first and put in the top of my reviewer To God be the Glory.

presidente

May 29, 2013

You could go to your teacher, tell him about the learning disability and situation, and ask if there is any way you could change the F somehow. He might say 'no.' But it's worth a shot. Normally, I wasn't one of those uptight nerdy students who hounded teachers about grades, but once in college, I calculated that I was just really on the border of getting an A. We had A, B, etc. with no minuses, and the grade knocked me out of the deans list, so I thought, why not? I asked the lecturer about it, and he gave me some extra-credit assignment to do (like problems in the office to do, not some big deal) and bumped my grade up. But they didn't retroactively put me on the dean's list.

You know what? Grades in school don't matter that much. I mean, you should try to do the best with what you got. And if you are a junior or senior especially, grades do help you get into college and might help with certain scholarships. But if you don't have a 4.0, getting one bad grade may not hurt you that bad. The people who do admissions at college will probably figure there is some story behind the speech grade, like, oh this kid is smart, but can't do public speaking. You could work the story about getting the F into your college admission essay. At least you'd have a topic.

I think you'd also benefit from really meditating on things the word of God says, like about being fearfully and wonderfully made, and learn to find your self worth in the fact that God created you and loves you so much, instead of your accomplishments. It's good to accomplish great things, but if you fail at something, that doesn't make you any less valuable. Why would it? That doesn't even make sense. What about kids in your school who can't get math or Spanish or whatever, and get F's. Are they worth less than you because you have a good GPA? I am pretty sure you don't think like that about other people. Why think that way about yourself? If you hadn't taken speech class and had taken drama instead and gotten an A, would you be worth more? Getting your sense of identity in Christ and your sense of self worth straightened out is probably more important for your future than your grade in speech class.

W

wwjd_kilden

I know how that feels :/ I too got one dreadful grade pulling me down (and it was on the main assignment of the year).

If it was an exam I assume you can either file a "complaint" or redo it to try and get a better grade