Growth in faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

ShyForHim

Like many of us, we all were at those early stages of salvation, and the devil always pesters us a lot. It took me a good while to be 100% sure that I am saved and even then the devil still tries to make me doubt, but how does one growth in faith?

What is faith? Why is it hard to believe?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
'Why is it hard to believe?'
Law vs Gospel.
Law comes natural because it bears on our conscience...it is part of us no matter how marred.
The Gospel is a Truth that goes completely contrary to our 'natural man', jars our normal way of thinking and is something we must even as Christians cling to.

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
(Heb 2:1)

Dec 5, 2012
Like many of us, we all were at those early stages of salvation, and the devil always pesters us a lot. It took me a good while to be 100% sure that I am saved and even then the devil still tries to make me doubt, but how does one growth in faith?

Sounds like you know something is missing. Something is not right. That could mean you believe in something that is not true.

This is good, we can fall, but it is mandatory to get up.

Search deeper and you will find. Do not forget to pray, pray and pray. Then when you are done... pray some more.

J

jimmydiggs

On what ground and basis would you say you have this 100% assurance?
One time in my life, I prayed a prayer. See, it says on the cover of my bible!

Feb 17, 2010
Faith! In 1 Corinthians 12 God mentioned FAITH as a gift of the Holy Spirit. James says this about faith... I hope this would answer your question...Also look to see if you know any prson with this unwavering faith....

James 1:2 to 8... My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
This is good reading and it will wise you up a lot. Check out the last verse.... A double minded man is unstable in all his ways... So TRUE SO TRUE!

S

ShyForHim

Sounds like you know something is missing. Something is not right. That could mean you believe in something that is not true.

This is good, we can fall, but it is mandatory to get up.

Search deeper and you will find. Do not forget to pray, pray and pray. Then when you are done... pray some more.
It's not about believing what is untrue because I know the truth which resides in the Word. God is truth. The problem I have is to make myself believe (ex: prayer)

On what ground and basis would you say you have this 100% assurance?
Off the Word. I got that assurance during Bible study in my church.

K

Kefa52

Romans 12:3 (HCSB) For by the grace given to me, I tell everyone among you not to think of himself
more highly than he should think. Instead, think sensibly, as God has
distributed a measure of faith to each one.

It is in our nature to be hard headed. Have you noticed your parents get smarter as we grow up??

When I first accepted Christ into my life I had trouble with pride. "Come on Jesus I'm not that bad am I".

God didn't create a bunch of pupets. We are to study and God will increase our faith.

2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth. Eph 1:13; Col 1:5; Jms 1:18

Hang in there and keep your quiet focus on Jesus. The Holy Spirit will guide you to what you need to know.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
My advice to you would be to pray & ask your Father for ''everything He wants you to have'' & everything you need to be a good Kingdom citizen. This would be totally right, fulfilling Mat. 6:33.

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Full dependence on the atoning work of Jesus. Which in a nutshell means doing nothing on your own ability.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Especially ask for His love to abound in you, for that's the essence of who He is. Walk in obedience to the Word you know thus far. This is evidence of your love for Him.
1 John 2:3-11 [SUP]3 [/SUP]And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [SUP]4 [/SUP]He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. [SUP]5 [/SUP]But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. [SUP]6 [/SUP]He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning. [SUP]8 [/SUP]Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. [SUP]9 [/SUP]He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. [SUP]10 [/SUP]He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. [SUP]11 [/SUP]But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Faith is believing in the promises of God. Faith is believing in the character of God to keep those promises.

It is hard to believe sometimes because we believe in the unseen. It is foolishness to our natural senses. That is why it is so important to pray to God. When you see His Work manifest and you remember your prayers you see that the little bit of faith that you had God honored. And that builds up your faith even more. Lack of prayer will begin to chip away at this little bit of faith that you have. That is why prayer is so important. It is important to us, to keep us abiding in Christ.

I find it fairly easy to stay disciplined in reading my bible. I find it very difficult to stay disciplined in prayer. And I know prayer is the key to every victory I have ever had or ever will have.