Guy Problems

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DTS

I've been dating my boyfriend for about 8 months now and I have recently rededicated my life to Christ. But my boyfriend is a smoker and drinker and I don't do either. He also clubs. And i don't want to just jump at him too fast with the WORD as he may take it offensively. I love him so much, but don't want to lose him. And I don't know if I should leave him or give it more time. Any opinions? Anything will help

B

Brit98

I'm a teen too, so I kinda, KINDA, know how you feel. I put kinda because I really don't date because I'm mostly a tomboy. I recently just rededicated myself to Christ after going through a lot of things and getting back on track. Now I have friends to deal with who have about the same problem as your boyfriend. Right now, I'm just telling them that they shouldn't smoke and drink because it kills you. I have had family members die from it. After a few weeks of just telling them they shouldn't and just being nice and there for them (like being their Jesus) I've had a few come up to me and ask why I was so different. My school (and town) is small and everything gets around quickly, so when I'm being nice to everyone, it gets around. My town also has a problem with kids getting pregnant out of marriage, drugs, drinking, etc. and I'm one of the few who doesn't do that. I explained to them that I have Jesus and that's why I was different. I brought one to Christ, but I'm currently working on the others. So, my advice/ opinion is to just tell him he shouldn't do it, but don't push it too hard, and just be his "Jesus". He may not even know about Jesus.

D

DTS

haha.. nawww really.. Im a Tomboy as well lols. I never like thought I'd have a boyfriend but I guess it came along unexpectedly lols. Everyone treats me as if Im a boy though. lols but yeh im just guna take it as slow as I can. But im scared that if I leave it too long its guna be too late you know. But im struggling to tell my parents wat kinda guy he is aye. im afraid that they won't accept him. But he really is a good guy. He was just brought up in a family where there was alwaes alcohol nd smoking and i guess he hung around the wrong crowd. He used to go to church and he calls himself a christian but he doesnt have a strong bond and understanding of God like I do. :/

Calmador

Jun 23, 2011
Hey DTS

I think if his not Christian, his not a guy have as a boyfriend.

2 Corinthians 6:14-16

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”

So unless his converted, his not boyfriend material. We're to marry other believers, so really there's no point in being in a bf/gf relationship if you can't even marry that person. You'll have to present him the gospel.... if he accepts and converts okay then there's hope of something... if not, I'd advise you to stay away since you have feelings for him and it'll be tough getting over him if you stick around.

D

DTS

Thanx Calmador. yeh ive recently been told about that scripture. But ive heard stories of how God made some girls fall in love with non believers and helped them turn their bf's lives around. Thats what I want to do bekoz im that afraid to lose him. But we are going out together tomorrow and Im going to talk to him about it and see what happens. If he doesnt want to be on the same page about Christ that Im on then Im going to have to leave it at that and hope that we can at least be friends!

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Sounds good, DTS (your last post, about talking to him about the situation tomorrow). PLEASE, if it isn't peaceful, drop it! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to :).

S

SantoSubito

Smoking and drinking shouldn't be a problem unless he is chronically abusing alcohol. One question I have is if he goes clubing and you don't go with him you may want to ask him to stop it. Because guys go to bars to drink with their buddies, and they usually only go to clubs to meet women. Not trying to alarm you or anything but I would discuss it with him.

U

Ugly

Santo - Well, smoking and drinking (in moderation) may be a personal call, so flat out telling someone it shouldn't matter isn't really the right answer either. If it bothers her, then thats the standard she needs to hold to.

OP - You're saying you hope to convert him by dating him, and that you've heard of others that God, supposedly, called to do that. There's a term for that... missionary dating. I don't think its right. And while a few girls may have gotten lucky, most people who try this end up heart broken, or end up being more effected by their partner negatively than the other way around. I know that you're fairly knew in your faith, but following God means setting aside what we want to do whats right, or to follow what God leads us. Really this decision comes down to are you going to put your boyfriend first, or God? I know its a hard choice, but following God is like that sometimes. We have to go against the grain, and our natures and wants for the sake of righteousness.

F

fightingforthelight

I've been dating my boyfriend for about 8 months now and I have recently rededicated my life to Christ. But my boyfriend is a smoker and drinker and I don't do either. He also clubs. And i don't want to just jump at him too fast with the WORD as he may take it offensively. I love him so much, but don't want to lose him. And I don't know if I should leave him or give it more time. Any opinions? Anything will help
Hi, sis!

I know how you feel. And you know, if you really love him, so just pray for him to YOUR GOD! IF your boyfriend loves you. And if he will not leave you because of your being christian. Then YOU ARE that person who can show him they WAY. Just keep showing love to your BF. And keep being a real christian. And he will see a difference.

N

ness

Hello, God Bless you.
I was in the same boat as you when i rededicated my life to The Lord. Me and my ex now haven't talked in a while and I learned by cutting off our connections that it helped me AND him. When me and him were dating we were Sunday morning Christians: Not really devoted to the Lord he also was to drinking. We dated on and off as I came to the Lord then finally, we broke up for good. I learned that I wasn't meant to be with him ever though I did love him after we broke up. After we broke up I only got closer to the Lord and I got Baptized and I just went up!:) I talked to him a few month later to learn that he had got closer to the Lord and told me he has been going to church more and I felt like i saw a change in him! I later thought that it was NOT in Gods will for me to date him, I wanted it to be in his Will. The reason I had so many problems with this situation was I was living MY will and not Gods. Maybe you can help him get closer to the Lord but also make sure to pray for Gods will and not yours. The best will come out if you live in Gods will and ways.:)

I wish you the best,
God Bless.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011

Yes, this may become a difficult relationship. Your life in Christ will pull you one way and his life choices will pull him a different way.

Try sharing the gospel and get him to come to Church with you. Some people have NEVER heard the gospel or had other people to show them the way to the truth. You never know :)

But guard your heart carefully :)

Praying for you and your boyfriend :)

Calmador

Jun 23, 2011
Thanx Calmador. yeh ive recently been told about that scripture. But ive heard stories of how God made some girls fall in love with non believers and helped them turn their bf's lives around. Thats what I want to do bekoz im that afraid to lose him. But we are going out together tomorrow and Im going to talk to him about it and see what happens. If he doesnt want to be on the same page about Christ that Im on then Im going to have to leave it at that and hope that we can at least be friends!
I know it's tough and I especially liked the last part of your post. That your willing to give him up. I used to be 18, trust me you got lots of time to find someone ok :)

I

iAngel16

I understand what you are going through. I kinda went through the same thing about a year or two ago... you can't change a person or their ways, that is something they decide on their own. All I can suggest is talking to him about how you feel other wise he will never know you even have a problem w/ all of this.

R

rainacorn

Be willing to lose him. Your new relationship (with Jesus) is worth more.

Maybe your boyfriend will be inspired by the example you're setting, but if God has other plans for you, you must be willing to listen.

B

bullssoxfan23

All I can say is pray your heart out for him. Invite him to church, bible study, or to hang out with your Christian friends. I'm in a similar situation with one of my close friends whom I like. I'll be praying for you

S

splendor258

:) Sometimes, God will ask you to give up something important in your life for HIS glory. I gave up my girlfriend just to fulfill my desire for God. My girlfriend was very dependent on me and I think I offered too much to her and I was about to forget my ministry in our church. You may find it so difficult to decide but you have nothing to worry when you submit everything unto HIM. I can tell that the right kind of person you must seek is someone who brings you closer with God. Your boyfriend will be fine through your fervent prayers. Grow up in God's love. Shalom! :)

H

hope2love

Im 28yrs old.a mother of two young kids.boy and a girl..ive been down that same road you are nowive never done any drugs.i rarely drink.sadly i do smoke cigarettes though i know i can quit if i tried.but as for you..i think you need to tell him how you feel about his habits of drinking etc.if you think.or feel its not controlled or you just feel uncomfortable about it.whatever the reason either way you need to tell hin how you feel and think.you dont have to get reglious on him bout god if you fear that would make it worse.but at same time what you believe is important to you and you cant let fear get in the way of who you are inside.ive dated guys that i kn liked drinking i didnt like it it seemed fine at first but their emotions got tha best of them.they drowned themselves in their drinking.partying.and drugs.i tried so hard to help them see tha damage they were doing to themselves.me and us but it wasnt enough....i broke down crying pouring my heart out to them they said im so sorry id quit for you.in tha end they never did.i went through years of tryin abd failing...went through hell and my life got worst tha more i tried. Plea...my life was almost ended by these types of guys many times...my best advice to you is do what you know and feel is best for you..not you and him.you cant make others happy if yiu are miserable inside...please whatever you decide to do be careful...im not judging you.at all.im only trying to save you tha poss pain aband heartache ive went through too many times.too long and with too many...i do not know you.i dont need to to care about you.i hate seeing ppl unhappy c everyone deserves to be....