Has anyone here gone /do you keep going to AA?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 9, 2014
Has anyone here started their journey with Christ in AA, and if so, do you still go?

K

Kaycie

My mother used to make me go with her when I was 14/15. She told me it was for support, and she told others it was because I had a problem and I was under age so she had to go with me. I have gotten drunk a couple times in my adult life, but I don't have that problem. I haven't touched it in years. The problem I do have is worse- I overeat, I'm addicted to food, seriously. I almost wish I had any other addiction, because unlike them, you can't completely walk away from food and survive. I did so good on my diet today, until bedtime. I was so hungry I went in the kitchen and ate till I was overstuffed. I won't give up trying to lose weight.

Sep 9, 2014
Thanks for sharing Kaycie. I've started going to Celebrate Recovery, a 12 step program for hurts, habits, and hangups based on the bible and Jesus Christ :). I know a few people with food addiction. ..

M

mystikmind

My mother used to make me go with her when I was 14/15. She told me it was for support, and she told others it was because I had a problem and I was under age so she had to go with me. I have gotten drunk a couple times in my adult life, but I don't have that problem. I haven't touched it in years. The problem I do have is worse- I overeat, I'm addicted to food, seriously. I almost wish I had any other addiction, because unlike them, you can't completely walk away from food and survive. I did so good on my diet today, until bedtime. I was so hungry I went in the kitchen and ate till I was overstuffed. I won't give up trying to lose weight.
Food certainly is delicious! A couple of more unusual things that work for me, and may help you, i don't know?.....

I buy lots of fruit, and make sure it is the more expensive good quality fruit - cheaper fruit is always more expensive if it simply ends up in the bin. Also i enjoy strong tasting snacks such as tinned chilli salmon, pickled onions or even just to lick a finger dipped in vegemite (very salty) just to distract me from eating too much other food. Also i always try to have very nice fruit juice (usually orange juice) in the fridge, because it is easy to have a glass of juice instead of food when i feel like snacking.

P

purpose

I Have Done A.A. For over a year. It Helped. I Meet alot of nice people and made new friends. I No Longer attend. It Was wonderful and helped me out alot!!!!!!!!.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Lynn68, can I PM you?

May 3, 2013
No, I don´t. I seldom drank and the only day I felt it I was drunk, I started preacing in a beach, near to midnight, when I was in high school.

student

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for sharing. I, too, have a problem with overweight. Depression is the reason. God is always in season and I'm trying daily to search out his answer. Miri started a group here in cc. Check it out. It's small, but we're there. I started "juicing". It is so good! Cayenne pepper I learned today is excellent for not only weight loss, but also High BP. HUGGS!

Dec 26, 2014
there's a fun, true, informative, helpful, enlightening book titled "moses wasn't fat" (remember none of the Hebrews had any disease when they did what yahweh told them to do, for a long time, even in the desert with no human source for food, water, or most any kind of comfort...)....

it's a paperback, and helps both spirit and body and mind(... ummm. both all three?) ...

also,
another interesting sideline/note: for later. (got stopped).

also, ..... read philippians, read ephesians, trust yahweh (*GOD), trust yahshua(*Jesus)
and remember that HE is omni-caring, and has already determined what is needed --

in fact, in truth, in HIS WORD, HE SAYS he provided for today/ and for tomorrow/ ever since before the
world was created -- HE provided everything needed , completely, for your salvation, for your healing, for your righteousness, your peace, and your joy....

not as if apart from him, but actually and truly living in union with him in yahshua; abiding in him, and HIS WORD ABIDING in you.

E

Elysian

I used to get drunk years ago in my youth and a lot of times it ended in trouble and me being brought before the courts.Finally the magistrate tired of dealing with me and sent me to a Salvation army rehab which included AA attendance.
I hated AA they were very dogmatic and claim nobody can abstain from alcohol without them.I was not really a Christian at the time but was very annoyed by there waffleing on about a ''higher power'' of which they could not even explain.Years later I understand what this ''higher power'' was. AA have Masonic symbolism as their logo and it turn out they were created by the freemasons(the cult who hold the Luciferian doctrine) no mention eve of Christ at a AA meeting,just the'' higher power'' and all of this under a Salivation army roof!

E

Elysian

AA also give attendees a lot of false and damaging information.They had me believing I was a hopeless alcoholic,who could not think for myself, had to take one day at a time and never enjoy a social drink ever again.
I quit AA very soon and today I think very well for myself,plan years ahead and enjoy a couple of wines occasionally.AA also have a poor successes rate,sure attendees will abstain for a few years but most break out eventually because the majority of them do not have the holy spirit,thanks to AA.

M

microscoped

I have gone years ago to NA which is the same, but for drugs. The thing that i didnt like is that you confess over yourself at every meeting that you are an addict. The bible says we are a new creature. Old things are passed away. Behold all things have become new.

R

Rick

I used to go but wouldn't apply what I heard. About 2 years ago I began to be honest with Jesus and praying for His help. I became like the widow nagging the judge with Him, and one night He took it away in a moment. I knew it had happened and I knew I was healed. Now I tell anyone of Him and His grace every chance I get.

E

Elysian

Thanks for sharing Kaycie. I've started going to Celebrate Recovery, a 12 step program for hurts, habits, and hangups based on the bible and Jesus Christ :). I know a few people with food addiction. ..

I have heard some very positive things about celebrate recovery.

Sep 9, 2014
Thank you all for your responses! !! I went to AA for 7 years, and after accepting JESUS into my heart ( some christian women prayed with me) my eyes were opened to the fact that AA is a deception. The sad thing is, my husband is a firm believer of AA-he's been going since 1998.